Security Update: StarLink Internet on RCL

On Symphony of the Seas right now and my work computer will not connect to RCL internet. The IT team onboard pin pointed the problem to a security update that Royal did earlier in October that is now more restrictive on company issued VPNs and firewalls. No way to turn mine off and onboard team just basically shrugged their shoulders. Several others onboard too had same issue. 

Be careful if needing to check emails while on vacation. 

Anyone else seeing this?

• Thanks 1

Try connecting first to the internet and then connecting your VPN. That has worked on other cruise lines. You say no way to turn off your VPN but there should be a way in your network and internet settings. Ask your IT. 

Edited by Charles4515

1 minute ago, Kokomo91165 said:

It has always worked onboard before. Same computer. 

Without an IT professional being on board (or remotely helping) to diagnose, not sure anyone can determine what exactly is causing the issue. It could also be a temporary issue - it could fix itself once you get further across the TA.

Just now, Biker19 said:

Without an IT professional being on board (or remotely helping) to diagnose, not sure anyone can determine what exactly is causing the issue. It could also be a temporary issue - it could fix itself once you get further across the TA.

My hope exactly. 

If this is a persistent problem for you then on future cruises the workaround would be to leave your work computer running at home with remote access enabled. I like to use Chrome Remote Desktop for this purpose (it's free). Bring another laptop computer on the ship (or you can use your phone or a tablet if the work is not too typing intensive). From the ship you would connect to your home computer, and then remote control that computer to connect to your work VPN. The cruise ship Internet will not see the work VPN, it will only see your home computer, and the work VPN will think the connection is coming from your home computer, not the cruise ship. 

Edited by SG65CB
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1