NO door decor?

SoloAlaska

2 hours ago, UKstages said:

door decorations are a fire hazard and that’s why NCL has banned them.

Correct. Things like crepe paper streamers are a fire hazard. And if people use tape, it can leave marks/remove paint. So easier to just say no decorations instead of posting lists of what's acceptable/not acceptable.

Could you imagine the CC discussions then... I want to put xyz on my door. It's not on the list, should I bring it?

So no decorations, just not heavily enforced if not hazardous or harmful.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, julig22 said:

Correct. Things like crepe paper streamers are a fire hazard. And if people use tape, it can leave marks/remove paint. So easier to just say no decorations instead of posting lists of what's acceptable/not acceptable.

Could you imagine the CC discussions then... I want to put xyz on my door. It's not on the list, should I bring it?

So no decorations, just not heavily enforced if not hazardous or harmful.

I dont think its obvious because i was not aware of the rule of no door decorations. Please dont tell me I need to read the T & C s lol.  I also didnt see anything obnoxious or visually annoying.   

• Haha 1

hey, smitheroo. please dont ever, ever put your cabin number  on your key card. (hopefully you were only joking about that) if not, and i dont even know you and we'll probably never meet, but i would personally send you magnets, door decorations or any other type of identifiable items, so you can find your cabin, and keep you safe. if you lose or misplace your card, anyone finding it, now has access to your cabin. 

of course, you can always leave a trail of bread crumbs (lol)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Smitheroo said:

And I will add that if door decorations bother someone, then dont look at the doors going past them… Who cares what is on other passenger's cabin doors unless it comes out and grabs you as you pass by...

But again, dont look.

that’s impossible… kind of like being asked not to think about a polar bear in the snow. that soon becomes all one can think about. it’s impossible for most people to walk past staterooms without seeing the doors. that’s simply not the way the eyes - or the human brain - works. the door decorations do indeed “grab you” as you pass by. it’s not a choice for most people. it’s a public area of the ship. for the duration of your cruise, you “own” the inside of your stateroom door, you don’t own the outside of that same door. what other public facing areas of the ship are passengers allowed to deface, er, I mean, “decorate?”

look, it’s not important what you or i think. NCL, rightly or wrongly, has made the determination for us. door decor is no more. that’s their policy and has been for a few years. what actually happens on the ship is largely left to the discretion of the captain and those he entrusts to enforce the policy or make judgments about when or if to enforce it. it’s not for the good people of cruise critic to interpret or revise or justify exceptions to the policy, any more than it is for them to debate when smoking on a stateroom balcony is permitted. (it isn’t.) or whether opening the barrier between stateroom balconies is permitted. (it isn’t.)

as for other things that are flammable, such as clothing and paper advertisements, books and magazines and hair spray and lithium ion batteries and such… again, it’s not for the good people of cruise critic to make that determination. it’s already been done for them by NCL. risks have been assessed and policies have been made.

i can only add that another reason door decorations have been banned is the possibility of firefighters becoming entangled in them in low light and high smoke conditions. some decorations are flammable, some - such as garlands and tinsel and string and decorative spider webs - can actually impede the progress of firefighters as they attempt to fight the fire or get to where the fire is located.

we can all have a good laugh about how silly this is… until something happens and we all see how serious this really is.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, UKstages said:

that’s impossible… kind of like being asked not to think about a polar bear in the snow. that soon becomes all one can think about. it’s impossible for most people to walk past staterooms without seeing the doors. that’s simply not the way the eyes - or the human brain - works. the door decorations do indeed “grab you” as you pass by. it’s not a choice for most people. it’s a public area of the ship. for the duration of your cruise, you “own” the inside of your stateroom door, you don’t own the outside of that same door. what other public facing areas of the ship are passengers allowed to deface, er, I mean, “decorate?”

look, it’s not important what you or i think. NCL, rightly or wrongly, has made the determination for us. door decor is no more. that’s their policy and has been for a few years. what actually happens on the ship is largely left to the discretion of the captain and those he entrusts to enforce the policy or make judgments about when or if to enforce it. it’s not for the good people of cruise critic to interpret or revise or justify exceptions to the policy, any more than it is for them to debate when smoking on a stateroom balcony is permitted. (it isn’t.) or whether opening the barrier between stateroom balconies is permitted. (it isn’t.)

as for other things that are flammable, such as clothing and paper advertisements, books and magazines and hair spray and lithium ion batteries and such… again, it’s not for the good people of cruise critic to make that determination. it’s already been done for them by NCL. risks have been assessed and policies have been made.

i can only add that another reason door decorations have been banned is the possibility of firefighters becoming entangled in them in low light and high smoke conditions. some decorations are flammable, some - such as garlands and tinsel and string and decorative spider webs - can actually impede the progress of firefighters as they attempt to fight the fire or get to where the fire is located.

we can all have a good laugh about how silly this is… until something happens and we all see how serious this really is.

First of all, I am not talking about garlands or spider webs decorating the outside of the cabin doors. That is just ridiculous. But for small signs or magnets, there is more to worry about in this world than what people have on their ship cabin/apartment door as long as its not actually defacing the surface it is put on. That would be different entirely.  And political signs would be repulsive.   NCL may have banned door decorations but they dont make it well known. I have ever heard of it, nor when I was passing the doors did I think "oooh, lawbreakers".  And why wouldnt the cabin stewards remind the passengers of the rule.  NCL takes action about real fire hazards, like electrical appliances.  So stupid, just worry about things that matter. A magnet on a door doesnt.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, UKstages said:

If my small magnet is a problem and crew say something or remove it I will apologize and remove it. No complaining or coming back to CC talking poorly about NCL. It’s in their right to enforce the rule. Since they aren’t enforcing it I will be reasonable with a small magnet that is not offensive to anyone.

• Like 3

First of all, I am not talking about garlands or spider webs decorating the outside of the cabin doors. That is just ridiculous.

wholeheartedly agree. and yet, those and similar “decorations” can be found on nearly every sailing. one person’s obnoxious treasure is another another person’s ridiculous pleasure. fortunately, we don’t have to be placed in a position to decide what is ridiculous - or a fire hazard. NCL has done that for us.

But for small signs or magnets, there is more to worry about in this world than what people have on their ship cabin/apartment door as long as its not actually defacing the surface it is put on.

good people do and have disagreed what constitutes something that is “small.” policies are rigid and not subjective.

And political signs would be repulsive.

who gets to decide what is political or repulsive? to some, an upside down pineapple is a political statement, as is a “small” sign celebrating the honeymoon of a same sex couple. some find both repulsive. many object to decorations celebrating religious holidays. 

And why wouldnt the cabin stewards remind the passengers of the rule. 

how exactly would that go?

“please take down your sign, but also kindly tip me at the end of the voyage for ruining your holiday/family celebration/ability to locate your room.”

I have ever heard of it, nor when I was passing the doors did I think "oooh, lawbreakers".

that may be because no laws have been broken.

as for not having heard of it, i had never heard of bad bunny before he hosted SNL a couple of weeks ago, but i’m pretty sure he’s a real thing.

46 minutes ago, UKstages said:

wholeheartedly agree. and yet, those and similar “decorations” can be found on nearly every sailing. one person’s obnoxious treasure is another another person’s ridiculous pleasure. fortunately, we don’t have to be placed in a position to decide what is ridiculous - or a fire hazard. NCL has done that for us.

good people do and have disagreed what constitutes something that is “small.” policies are rigid and not subjective.

who gets to decide what is political or repulsive? to some, an upside down pineapple is a political statement, as is a “small” sign celebrating the honeymoon of a same sex couple. some find both repulsive. many object to decorations celebrating religious holidays. 

how exactly would that go?

“please take down your sign, but also kindly tip me at the end of the voyage for ruining your holiday/family celebration/ability to locate your room.”

that may be because no laws have been broken.

as for not having heard of it, i had never heard of bad bunny before he hosted SNL a couple of weeks ago, but i’m pretty sure he’s a real thing.

I was just on the Encore and I admit that my hike to my cabin only involved deck 13 (i didnt go exploring other stateroom areas, something I would have done as a kid, especially if it had a class barrier lol) but I never saw one  door with anytihing like garlands or spiderwebs.  I did see one sign that might have indicated a same sex couple, or maybe not, glad to know it did not impress me one way or the other.  If it were me, I would wonder who would actually even care I was a passenger.  I should have said that " *I* would have found political signs repulsive.  In any case, I did see signs and other decorations on doors very recently on the Encore (last week) so whether outlawed by NCL or not, they are still there and not enforced in any way, apparently.  I did think about a steward  considering the effect on a possible tip if he/she recommended removal of a door decoration. I find it pathetic that someone would alter their tip amount due to a steward trying to enforce a ship rule Talk about shooting the messenger!   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On our last cruise this summer on the Epic, we did have a steward that enforced the no door decoration rule. He took down our small magnetic "On Vacation" sign and reminded us of the rule; and none of the other cabins he covered had decorations on the door either. Walking around the ship though it seemed he was probably the only one enforcing the rule, there were plenty of decorated doors elsewhere, and we've been on about ten other cruises and decorated the door without a problem.

My guess has always been that the rule was there in case someone put something up that was not "family friendly" or interfered with people walking down the hallways. Maybe one of our neighbors had something offensive on their door and he just cracked down on everyone, or we just happened to have the one steward who enforced the rule.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Was on the Bliss a couple of weeks ago and there were a few people who had paper Halloween decorations and magnets in my hallway. I also put up a basset hound magnet, and it end up getting stolen on the third or fourth day. Not the end of the world but definitely made me sad to know that people can be so petty. 

16 hours ago, Smitheroo said:

I dont think its obvious because i was not aware of the rule of no door decorations. Please dont tell me I need to read the T & C s lol.  I also didnt see anything obnoxious or visually annoying.   

Uh, OK.  Interesting reply, I wasn't addressing you, didn't say anything about the rule being obvious, decorations being obnoxious or telling you to read the T&Cs.  Just reiterated that there is a rule and why.

• Like 1

On 11/4/2023 at 4:05 PM, SoloAlaska said:

I understand NCL has a no door decor policy. I’m just wondering if I bring a single small fridge magnet to identify my room would that be a problem? In a sea of rooms I find it helpful to locate my room especially after a couple of drinks

I used a small fridge magnet that uniquely identified us. We were with a group of 8 cabins across several decks, and I wanted something to help our family to find us. 

It only lasted 1 day, it was stolen. 😞  I asked our steward and he did see it up for a day, but knew nothing about what happened to it. 

So use something that is not important to lose. 

• Like 1

I have always suspected that whether or not door decorating is allowed depends on the Executive Housekeeper and/or the Hotel General Manager.  Some do not the decorating and others do.  I ALWAYS ask what a particular ships' policy is before putting a small magnet on my door. 

• Like 1

On 11/4/2023 at 6:11 PM, complawyer said:

although against ncl rules, there are always tons (ok slight exaggeration) of cabins with decorations on the doors. 

what i dont understand is why you simply cant remember your cabin number. write it down on a slip of paper and keep it in your pocket.

personally, (and this is in no way any type of condemnation)  i hope i never get that drunk where i need a magnet to identify my cabin.  what would you do if someone from ncl came by and removed it from the door? Spend the night in a life boat? 

by the way, if after only a couple of drinks youre in such bad shape you seriously cannot locate your cabin, i strongly suggest you have a couple of cups of strong coffee before heading back

Get over it, its just a fun thing to do

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I have seen many images on other social media platforms of people decorating their doors, Disney/Royal, but on the last few NCL has taken down door magnets. This is a new turn and yes it is listed in the daily, but why?

I can understand flammable items, items in bad taste, but on the recent there was a family with children they had fun magnets.

What is the reason for NCL removing from your door.?  

Hi - we just (today) came off the Escape and the cruise was over Halloween - LOTS of door decorations, both simple and extremely elaborate. Magnets, magnetic writing tablets for messages, full-door 3-D decorations, even saw a pineapple (right side up).

Go for it!

55 minutes ago, MarKay525 said:

Go for it!

and what sort of message does this send to others, especially children?

it's OK to break rules? rules that we consider silly don't apply to us? it's OK to ignore authorities? we know better than fire marshals what does and does not pose a safety risk?

most people wouldn't think of not checking in at their muster station... why do the same people think it is acceptable to bend the rules by hanging a flammable object on their door?

3 hours ago, LGinPA said:

it was stolen.

perhaps. but it may have simply been removed, in order to comply with NCL's rules. but, if so, it should have been returned to you.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, julig22 said:

Uh, OK.  Interesting reply, I wasn't addressing you, didn't say anything about the rule being obvious, decorations being obnoxious or telling you to read the T&Cs.  Just reiterated that there is a rule and why.

maybe I was looking at another and then quoted you by mistake

what is it you believe to be hogwash?

NCL's policy?

it's been around since 2019. it's a real thing. it's codified. no hogs were washed in the making of this policy. those looking for hogs can find them on the pool deck placing towels, sunglasses and romance novels on deck chairs.

• Haha 3

Just got off the Escape today, it was a Halloween cruise and we have decorated our door for years no problem.  This time it was just a simple smiling pumpkin not scary or anything very g rated and we used magnets to hang it up, third day when we came back to cabin it was hanging on inside our door instead of outside we thought boy that’s weird and placed it back outside.  Following morning we got a call from management saying no door decorations and to take it down.  So as soon as my husband stepped outside to take it down the room steward was right they’re saying thank you for taking it down.  Oh well they must have their reasons but we did always enjoy decorating it was fun and harmless.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, LGinPA said:

I used a small fridge magnet that uniquely identified us. We were with a group of 8 cabins across several decks, and I wanted something to help our family to find us. 

It only lasted 1 day, it was stolen. 😞  I asked our steward and he did see it up for a day, but knew nothing about what happened to it. 

So use something that is not important to lose. 

Or just put nothing up at all.

• Like 1

hey bread and butter. sorry, but i guess my idea of "fun thing to do" seems to differ substantially from yours.

what exactly do you find fun about sticking a magnet outside the cabin door. ive been on many ncl cruises and see door decorations many times. personally i have no feelings about it pro or con,

and frankly scarlett (in these case bread and butter) i dont give a d**n.

do you decorate the door if youre staying in a land based hotel? i was merely pointing out that it's against ncl policy to do so, re-read my post, then i strongly suggest YOU GET OVER IT!!!!!

• Like 1