Amex Platinum benefits?

Low Country Sandlapper

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You don't have to book through Amex to get these benefits – every travel agent I deal with is able to get them as long as I pay for the cruise using the Platinum card.

But on a luxury cruise those benefits are worth comparatively little.  I have a no-fee Visa card as part of my Costco club membership.  When I book a cruise (no matter the TA, or direct) I get 3% cash back.  Do the math on your fare and you will quickly go over the $300 Amex benefit (plus 1% cash back), and the other Amex benefits are probably already part of the fare on a luxury cruise.

• Like 1

There are also periodic Amex “offers” under your membership tab of the Amex platinum site.  Some of these are spend “$x” on certain cruise line and get bonus points. The offers vary between cruises and come and go.  But if you have something booked, or are about to book they can be lucrative.  I bought myself $500 worth of OBC for a celebrity cruise I was on during one such offer and ended up getting a 10,000 bonus of Amex points (or more? Can’t remember exact figure of points)

• Like 1

It gets interesting to compare Chase Sapphire to AMEX Platinum.  Chase gives us up to $10,000 per person cancellation/interruption insurance. AMEx is just $10,000 and comes with a lot of extra qualifying language such as insisting you book your air with AMEX.  For us, the insurance benefit strongly favors Chase….in most cases.

Hank