When to do a clothes wash?

BertieRulesOK

I am on my first 12 day cruise so I am planning to do a clothes wash for the first time.  Question: Are there good or bad times to do wash?  Last thing I want is to be staking out the laundry room.  Also are there any rules to queuing for machines? Eg, can you leave your basket to indicate next in queue (like you did back in uni halls?)…?

The laundry is quieter on port days. There is no queue as such. If a machine is free then take it. You need to be back to empty the machine as it finishes because if you don't someone will take it out and put it in a basket (or on the floor if they aren't being considerate). Same goes for the tumble dryer. Take laundry sheets or your powder as it's expensive to buy on board

The alternative is to send the clothes to the laundry to be washed.  It is around 4 years since we did a P&O cruise so I don't know what the current prices are but for me it is worth it, I don't go on holiday to do laundry, I  don't send anything that is delicate.  A bag of laundry usually takes around 2 days to be returned.  They do sometimes have offers when the price is for a full bag regardless of what is in it.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

The alternative is to send the clothes to the laundry to be washed.  It is around 4 years since we did a P&O cruise so I don't know what the current prices are but for me it is worth it, I don't go on holiday to do laundry, I  don't send anything that is delicate.  A bag of laundry usually takes around 2 days to be returned.  They do sometimes have offers when the price is for a full bag regardless of what is in it.

I agree. If you've paid maybe a couple of thousand pounds to go on a cruise, why begrudge spending maybe thirty or forty quid to have your washing and ironing done?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, davecttr said:

Great, that will help with getting rid of the £300 OBC I have on Ventura

Hitting the jeweller's is another option to use with obc, though perhaps more popular with the ladies.  I am hopeful with the £1,200  we will have for our golden wedding next year 🙂

I agree later in the evening is much better for the launderette, or port days.  For a 12 night cruise, may not be that busy though, unless a lot of children onboard.  There are those who like to do their washing on the way home though, - never understood that myself, but could make launderettes busier later on in the cruise.

Edited by tring
  • Like 2

careful doing this , I did it a few year ago when toward end of cruise there was an offer on . Have all your clothes washed and dried that would fit in the laundry bag for a small price , rather than the hassle of getting back home and starting to wash i would simply hang up clothes on to hangers all fresh laundered , every item of clothing had been shrunk as they use tumble dryers 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Fionboard said:

If going from Southampton you should be able to take enough clothes for a 12 nighter without having to do washing. Leave the housework at home and enjoy your holiday. 

We do 19 nighters and I never do laundry on board.  We also only take one case each and I still bring back clothes I haven't worn.  Agree, I'm on holiday, no housework!

• Like 3

12 hours ago, jh1809 said:

I agree. If you've paid maybe a couple of thousand pounds to go on a cruise, why begrudge spending maybe thirty or forty quid to have your washing and ironing done?

You are only away for 12 days & there is no restriction on what amount of luggage you can take (unless a fly cruise). You're on holiday so forget the washing until you get home!.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FatBoy20 said:

You are only away for 12 days & there is no restriction on what amount of luggage you can take (unless a fly cruise). You're on holiday so forget the washing until you get home!.

For 12 days, I'd agree. I've only used the ship's laundry for cruises of 19 days or more. But I'm someone who likes to travel fairly light, especially as I don't drive, so I don't like bringing too much luggage.

The 12 night cruise is actually 14 days so a fresh shirt a day means 14 shirts and no need to wash anything else. I will take a maximum of 9 shirts and launder 6 on day  7 from departure. Actually only rinse/freshen up if there is such a wash cycle.

3 hours ago, paularmstrong said:

careful doing this , I did it a few year ago when toward end of cruise there was an offer on . Have all your clothes washed and dried that would fit in the laundry bag for a small price , rather than the hassle of getting back home and starting to wash i would simply hang up clothes on to hangers all fresh laundered , every item of clothing had been shrunk as they use tumble dryers 

I find that my clothes shrink on every cruise, even without using the laundry service 😂 

• Haha 5

16 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

Current ships laundry prices

IMG_0882.jpeg

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

We couldn't pack enough clothes for a 14 night holiday. We change at least twice a day and like clean clothes. We either use the laundry service or do it ourselves. 

That is the great thing about having choices, take them or leave them. Mrs YP wouldn't have gone near the laundrette when we were working, I would sometimes go and iron a shirt if the creases wouldn't steam out in the shower. On the longer cruises she will wash several times so we pack less, especially when flying, she will then do a big wash on the sea days back which saves doing it when we get home.

• Like 1