Regal Princess - Deck 14 balcony

beshears

If you have been on the Regal Princess within the past couple of years, and had a balcony on deck 14, can you give me your pros/cons of where the room is, and if you felt like you were better up high, or should have been on a lower deck? We did not pick this deck, but our PVP is the one that booked it for 4 rooms.

1 hour ago, beshears said:

can you give me your pros/cons of where the room is

Purely a matter of personal preference.  Riviera Deck is all cabins, sandwiched in between two other decks that are all cabins with no Public Space.  This is usually considered ideal.  But that feature is also found on Decks 9, 10, 11 and 12 as well.  So Deck 14 is no better or no worse in that regard.  The real preference will come in terms of whether your party will tend to take the stairs more often then they take the elevators, and in which direction are they likely to go more often.  We tend to spend far more time on decks 5-7 than we do on 16-17, so we prefer decks 9 and 10 as they are closer to where we tend to go, and we tend to take the stairs more often than the elevators.  If that describes you, then it is a hefty walk down to deck 5 and then back up again to deck 14.  If you think you will spend more time in the buffet area and pool areas, then deck 14 is perfect.  Personally, I like to feel a bit more connected to the ocean so decks 9 and 10 are more to my liking, but that isn't critical. 

• Like 1

Jimmywine, thank you for your input on this. I do agree that makes sense, depending upon what we like or what we want to do. At 80 years old (most people think I look/act younger), I am still doing steps pretty good, and hopefully I will still be able to do it on this ship too. I may have mentioned before, but I think the highest room I have been on was deck 8 or 9 which was fine with me. My PVP was the one that chose this, and I know my son and d-i-l were on deck 17 I believe, on another ship and they said it was good, so time will tell. 🙂

• Like 1

We just came off the Regal Deck 14, aft.  It did feel a bit rocky up there, but that may have been an issue with the weather for the whole ship at this time of year.  Pros are that is is close to the pool deck and buffet (both on deck 16), but as Jimmy says, it's further from the Piazza and bars/restaurants on levels 5 to 7.  

We did tend to take the elevators mainly as I have an achilles strain so I'm hobbling a bit.  Two flights of stairs was my maximum (and we only did them a couple of times), except on our last day disembarking when the elevators were packed and I just limped all the way down.  That was a lot of stairs on a sore heel/ankle, but normally I'd have no problem with it.  Other than the last day disembarkation we didn't have much trouble getting elevators if that's what you prefer.

Thank you for your input on my question. Yes that was one of my concerns of feeling a little rocky, since we are up so high. I have no clue what the weather will be in February, other than it should be much warmer than here in Missouri.

February should be better than this time of year... hurricane season is still winding down but should be finally done with by the end of November :)

I'm not a terribly experienced cruiser (this recent one was our third other than the one I took when I was 18) and it was our first with Princess, so hopefully others can chime in on this!

We were just on the Regal for 25 days. First time we've stayed anywhere besides full aft. We had R229 mid forward. Loved the room as we tend to spend most of our time topside and pool bar was only 2 floors up. We did get into rough seas and for awhile thought someone on the deck above us was pounding on the floor. Figured it was the swells banging on the hull. Neither of us get seasick and noticed the motion was more of an up and down movement in the forward cabin as it's mostly a side to side movement in the aft. The Royal Class ships are so big, they handle the rough weather very well.

• Like 1

Yehootu, good to know that the ship we will soon be on handles rough weather. I have done over 15 cruises down through the years, and I've seen just about anything that could happen with a ship, especially when it is "rocking" from one side to the other. I've seen bath doors swinging back/forth, dresser drawers go in/out, etc. Quite an experience, when you are trying to sleep.

• Like 1