Epic vs Escape in a Haven 2 bedroom

Cashsmoney

Hi,

So I’m looking to book a spring break cruise. On either the Epic or Escape in the Haven. The Epic is about 2k cheaper than the Escape.
I have sailed on the Escape back in 2017 ish, but never the Epic. I have read some mixed reviews on the Epic. 

Has anyone done both? Is the Escape that much better? What do people not like about the Epic.

Epic Haven is pretty awesome.

The restaurant is really large and there is a weird outdoor restaurant part that really isn't outdoors, it just has open sides (Courtyard Grille). Epic Haven has its own small gym and spa treatment room. You also have access to Posh, which has a bar and loungers (no hot tub). The regular bar/lounge area is quite large and there is another bar in the Courtyard Grille for a total of three bars in the Haven.

The pool is not covered, like the Escape's is, but hopefully the weather will cooperate.

If I had to choose between the two ships, it would be tough. I love the Escape as a ship and the Haven was good on the Escape. But Epic's Haven is slightly better.

I would take into consideration port times and cost and what the Escape has that the Epic does not. What matters to you?

We've done the Epic three times and the Escape twice.

• Like 2

The Epic has the best Haven in the NCL Fleet. And we book the forward facing 2BR on the Epic with the conservatory (enclosed) balcony over the Escape 2BR. 

Kinda a very old school/low tech approach to an infinite veranda. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 2

On 11/8/2023 at 7:38 PM, Two Wheels Only said:

Many people feel that Epic has the better Haven but Escape is the overall better ship. For a $2K savings, even I, the forum member who insults Epic the most, would go on Epic...in the Haven....

As ugly as the ship is, Epic wins.

Same. If I weren't sailing in the Haven I would 100% go with Escape, but in the Haven for a $2K savings I'd choose Epic.

• Like 3

I am really encouraged, reading all of this. We cruised in the Haven in a 2BR on the Getaway last year, and after that, I promised myself we would not cruise any older ships-- although I am admittedly disappointed that there is no option for two beds in the second bedroom on the Prima and Viva.

Anyway, our lives are super hectic, so for the time being, we can't just book whenever, wherever, and the Epic on 3/31 (Easter Sunday) worked out best for us, as it coincided with our kids' spring break. I was really hoping to book a Breakaway+ class ship, but the offerings out of Port Canaveral, which is our preferred port because it's driving distance for us, have been relatively slim in 2023 and 2024 compared to 2022. Thus it was the Epic or nothing for spring break.

We are booked in a 2BR Haven suite, and I am hoping the Haven experience will outweigh the fact that it's a somewhat older ship. I read it was the first Haven, which initially worried me because that meant maybe they hadn't worked out the kinks yet, in spite of its 2020 refurbishment, but it was hard to beat the price compared to what we paid on the Getaway last year and what they were asking 2BR Haven suites on Breakaway+ class ships. I figured even the worst Haven was better than no Haven.

So if you'll be on the 3/31 Epic cruise, we'll be there, too, in a 2BR Haven suite. I am very, very happy to hear how much people seem to love the Epic's Haven.

18 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Just sailed the Epic Haven in a 2BR Suite last month…

IMG_1456.jpeg

IMG_1454.jpeg

IMG_1452.jpeg

IMG_1451.jpeg

IMG_1450.jpeg

Ahhh…

Thanks for the pics!  We’ll be in one of those on the Epic in 3 weeks!  Can’t wait.  We’ve been in the 2BR on the Joy and the BA.  Can’t wait to compare the spaces!  I’ve heard nothing but good things about the Epic Haven!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Russiamomm said:

Ahhh…

Thanks for the pics!  We’ll be in one of those on the Epic in 3 weeks!  Can’t wait.  We’ve been in the 2BR on the Joy and the BA.  Can’t wait to compare the spaces!  I’ve heard nothing but good things about the Epic Haven!

Have also stayed in the Haven on the Breakaway and Getaway.  Epic Haven is the best I’ve stayed in.  It’s really quite

nice!

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

IMG_1442.jpeg

IMG_1440.jpeg

IMG_1436.jpeg

IMG_1438.jpeg

Those daybeds (or whatever you want to call those circular loungers) look awesome! I was lucky enough to find an extensive video of our exact suite on YouTube from about a year ago, but it's always good to see more pics, especially of the "public" Haven spaces.

How was the outlet situation in your suite?

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, rbxlady said:

Those daybeds (or whatever you want to call those circular loungers) look awesome! I was lucky enough to find an extensive video of our exact suite on YouTube from about a year ago, but it's always good to see more pics, especially of the "public" Haven spaces.

How was the outlet situation in your suite?

Outlets were plentiful.  There were some USB-A outlets on the side of the main bed and plenty by the desk.  I had an international plug converter but didn't need it.

That said, I had a MagSafe plug for my iPhone and Apple Watch and a USB-C cable for my iPad.  That's really all I needed.  My camera had just run out of juice on the last day of the cruise (11-Days).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

Outlets were plentiful.  There were some USB-A outlets on the side of the main bed and plenty by the desk.  I had an international plug converter but didn't need it.

That said, I had a MagSafe plug for my iPhone and Apple Watch and a USB-C cable for my iPad.  That's really all I needed.  My camera had just run out of juice on the last day of the cruise (11-Days).

Same, we have two travel MagSafe iPhone/Apple Watch/AirPods chargers, so that's useful to know that the bedside table can handle that for both me and my husband. Thank you for this info and the pic!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rbxlady said:

I am really encouraged, reading all of this. We cruised in the Haven in a 2BR on the Getaway last year, and after that, I promised myself we would not cruise any older ships-- although I am admittedly disappointed that there is no option for two beds in the second bedroom on the Prima and Viva.

I greatly, greatly disliked the Getaway's Haven. There is really nothing to recommend it. The restaurant is tiny, the eating space in the pool is a joke, and the lounge is crowded.

If I had to choose between the Epic Haven and the Getaway/Breakaway Haven, there would be zero hesitation -- Epic wins hands-down.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, brookie848 said:

I greatly, greatly disliked the Getaway's Haven. There is really nothing to recommend it. The restaurant is tiny, the eating space in the pool is a joke, and the lounge is crowded.

If I had to choose between the Epic Haven and the Getaway/Breakaway Haven, there would be zero hesitation -- Epic wins hands-down.

That's so good to hear!

8 hours ago, rbxlady said:

Anyway, our lives are super hectic, so for the time being, we can't just book whenever, wherever, and the Epic on 3/31 (Easter Sunday) worked out best for us, as it coincided with our kids' spring break. I was really hoping to book a Breakaway+ class ship, but the offerings out of Port Canaveral, which is our preferred port because it's driving distance for us, have been relatively slim in 2023 and 2024 compared to 2022. Thus it was the Epic or nothing for spring break.

We are booked in a 2BR Haven suite, and I am hoping the Haven experience will outweigh the fact that it's a somewhat older ship. I read it was the first Haven, which initially worried me because that meant maybe they hadn't worked out the kinks yet, in spite of its 2020 refurbishment, but it was hard to beat the price compared to what we paid on the Getaway last year and what they were asking 2BR Haven suites on Breakaway+ class ships. I figured even the worst Haven was better than no Haven.

So if you'll be on the 3/31 Epic cruise, we'll be there, too, in a 2BR Haven suite. I am very, very happy to hear how much people seem to love the Epic's Haven.

We cruised Epic in a forward DOS.  The Haven was great.  Never felt that crowded (compared to others).

• Like 1

16 hours ago, brookie848 said:

Been in the Haven on both the Breakaway and the Getaway.  Never had any issue with either.  Smaller than the Epic's Haven, but never had any issue with not being able to dine in the Haven Restaurant or Drink in the Haven Bar any time I wanted.

That said, I agree that I liked Epic's Haven better.  It has recently been refurbished, also.

• Like 1

Sailed on the Epic 2 BR Haven suite in May.  The service was great and plenty of space in the Haven lounge and restaurant.  I will be on the Getaway DOS on Saturday and I have read the Haven is smaller.  We will make the best of it.  Enjoy the Epic!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rdmyrick said:

Sailed on the Epic 2 BR Haven suite in May.  The service was great and plenty of space in the Haven lounge and restaurant.  I will be on the Getaway DOS on Saturday and I have read the Haven is smaller.  We will make the best of it.  Enjoy the Epic!

Been in the Haven on the Getaway.  Yeah, it's smaller than the Haven on the Epic.  But, I don't recall it being any more crowded.  I could still get a seat at the Haven Bar and never had to wait for a table in the Haven Restaurant.

Plus, the service was always exemplary, just like it was on the Epic.