Carnival debarkation nyc

havanadaydreaming

Been on my share of cruises the past decade+ but i thought id share my Venezia debarkation experience.  

As you likely know the ship holds 4k-ish passengers.  And the port is on the Hudson river midtown manhattan. I expected a semi hectic experience when leaving pier 88 building.  

I didnt expect to be funneled into one crosswalk with hundreds of my closest strangers....most lugging 2+ suitcases on wheels.  Chaos. And a little bit of survival of the fittest. 

Pro tip: take the carnival bus to airports.  Cheaper. Much easier.  

Block one was a mass of humanity looking for cabs or rideshares.  I decided to go a couple blocks east and a couple blocks north to order rideshare.  

Had to fend off a few fake drivers using the uber or lyft app to offer a cash fee to airport. Nah baby nah.  Just say no fellow sailors.  Scam artists. 

To recap, expect a bit of a hassle.  Make it as easy on yourself as you can.  Book a shuttle bus.  

Peace be the journey! 

• Like 1

On 11/10/2023 at 5:41 PM, havanadaydreaming said:

Been on my share of cruises the past decade+ but i thought id share my Venezia debarkation experience.  

As you likely know the ship holds 4k-ish passengers.  And the port is on the Hudson river midtown manhattan. I expected a semi hectic experience when leaving pier 88 building.  

I didnt expect to be funneled into one crosswalk with hundreds of my closest strangers....most lugging 2+ suitcases on wheels.  Chaos. And a little bit of survival of the fittest. 

Block one was a mass of humanity looking for cabs or rideshares.  I decided to go a couple blocks east and a couple blocks north to order rideshare.  

Had to fend off a few fake drivers using the uber or lyft app to offer a cash fee to airport. Nah baby nah.  Just say no fellow sailors.  Scam artists. 

To recap, expect a bit of a hassle.  Make it as easy on yourself as you can.  Book a shuttle bus.  

Peace be the journey! 

Couldn’t agree more. Expected a crowd after our Venezia cruise in October, but was not prepared for the worst debark in 25+ cruises. You’re not kidding about being funneled upon exiting terminal. The Manhattan port needs change.

2 hours ago, fair-winds39 said:

Couldn’t agree more. Expected a crowd after our Venezia cruise in October, but was not prepared for the worst debark in 25+ cruises. You’re not kidding about being funneled upon exiting terminal. The Manhattan port needs change.

Lol I doubt that will change, there isn’t space, and I don’t think cruising tourists add much profit.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/10/2023 at 2:41 PM, havanadaydreaming said:

Thank you - what is the earliest I should book my flight coming home?  Do you have a preferred airport?  I see Carnival transports to EWR, JFK, and LGA (all for the same price).

Do you recommend the Carnival bus to the port as well? 

Double check the charge for the Carnival bus before you follow blindly and compare with other options.  We found the ship option for two of us in Florida was 5x as much as a cab from ship to Airport, and similarly overpriced in other locations.

• Like 1

On 11/12/2023 at 9:20 AM, havanadaydreaming said:

My rideshare to EWR was $150ish including tip. I think bus was $41pp.

Typically spending less than five dollars when I travel to Newark airport, or less than three dollars to either LaGuardia or JFK, all those amounts come across to me as way too much.

New York City is a place with crowding, and knowing how to deal with crowding can be a bit of an art. Being knowledgeable, nimble, and assertive helps, while just following the crowd blindly can be both maddening and expensive.

On 11/12/2023 at 9:20 AM, havanadaydreaming said:

You will have fun Mad.  

My rideshare to EWR was $150ish including tip.  I think bus was $41pp.  

But oh man that sailaway background was worth it! 

That is not the norm, right now it’s quoting a top of $91 from MCT to EWR, and it’s a Friday rush hour. LGA and JFK are less than EWR, usually closer to $50. If you have # or more in your party, rideshare will most likely save money. We live 10 miles from Manhattan, my kids have missed that last train home, you are usually looking at $100 max, higher due to the late hour.