Barcelona Airport departure

johnrobert57

On 11/11/2023 at 2:52 PM, johnrobert57 said:

We have a 9:15 am flight out of Barcelona on Monday to JFK. Seasoned travelers....what time do you think we should arrive at the airport? We've only flown out of there once....but many years ago.

Thanks for any thoughts.

John

Despite it is sixth airport in Europe (in amount of passengers), it is not hard to move inside it.

Be sure you should have to go to Terminal 1 or Terminal 2.

Once I arrived just 45 minutes before a flight to Paris (airport entry just 45 minutes before departure) and I didn't hurry up to be on the gate. It was far enough.

Providing passport control and I guess check luggage, increase that time....but surely 3 hours has non sense.

BTW, no more than 30 minutes by taxi from city centre (in non peak hours, 20 minutes should be enough)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, alserrod said:

.but surely 3 hours has non sense.

I would disagree.  If OP needs to check in and drop baggage in economy class for a direct flight to USA then allowing for the possiblility of not being first in the line at the check in desk, etc and the sometimes long distances between check in and gate in BCN and additional security check for USA flights, then I would be aiming for close to 3 hours.  Better a smooth but early arrival at the gate than a rushed sweaty last minute one! 

I have personally experienced a 1-hour queue, just for Schengen exit. From the wording of the OP, I suspect he's also in error about the boarding time.

I agree with VMax1700. If you're not familiar with an airport, 3 hours is "cautious", it certainly isn't nonsense.

• 2 months later...

We're disembarking in Barcelona on a small Atlas ship, scheduled in at 8 AM, on a Monday morning in May.  We're traveling directly to Granada, where we'll only have one full day (the next day).

The only reasonable flight option, with Vueling, departs BCN at 10:40 AM.  So far everyone I've asked says the timing is too tight, but I'm wondering if anyone here thinks differently.

I've been on these small ships before and debarkation has always been very fast.  We'll be in Peniscola the previous day, so I can't imagine arriving to Barcelona late.  Since this is a domestic flight, is arriving at the airport maybe 90 minutes before a flight OK?

Our only alternative is the train, and we have only one reasonable option for that, too.  It leaves the SANT station at 11 AM and takes seven hours to Granada.  We've always wanted to travel by train in Europe, but I've read that this route is not very scenic.

I'm all ears and grateful for any advice.  Thanks in advance.

35 minutes ago, mlmdaisy said:

We're disembarking in Barcelona on a small Atlas ship, scheduled in at 8 AM, on a Monday morning in May.  We're traveling directly to Granada, where we'll only have one full day (the next day).

The only reasonable flight option, with Vueling, departs BCN at 10:40 AM.  So far everyone I've asked says the timing is too tight, but I'm wondering if anyone here thinks differently.

I've been on these small ships before and debarkation has always been very fast.  We'll be in Peniscola the previous day, so I can't imagine arriving to Barcelona late.  Since this is a domestic flight, is arriving at the airport maybe 90 minutes before a flight OK?

Our only alternative is the train, and we have only one reasonable option for that, too.  It leaves the SANT station at 11 AM and takes seven hours to Granada.  We've always wanted to travel by train in Europe, but I've read that this route is not very scenic.

I'm all ears and grateful for any advice.  Thanks in advance.

Hello:

Barcelona and Granada are 1250 km away by rail. The direct train leaves Barcelona, stops in Tarragona, Lleida, Zaragoza and from there goes directly to Córdoba (it passes very close to Madrid but does not enter the city nor has a stop), a last stop in Antequera and finally arrives in Granada
The DIRECT train leaves Barcelona at 6:45 and takes 6h26m. This gives an average speed of 200 km/h (123 m/h), which is not bad at all for a railway. Most of the route is done at 300 km/h but you have to keep in mind that the five stops take a few minutes that add up.

The 6:45 direct train arrives in Granada at 1:11 p.m. and they are quite punctual.

You can request tourist class, business class and even First Class. In any case, a tourist class seat on a train is similar (or better) than a business class seat on a plane.

What they have offered you at 11:00 is to connect in Madrid. It can be done without problems. A

Barcelona - Madrid train and another Madrid - Granada train.

You should know that, in addition to that option, there is a direct train from Barcelona to Granada every day at 6:45

If you want more information I recommend that you read what I wrote here.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2982860-railway-issues-moving-by-train-around-spain/#comment-66691885

I'm sure it can be useful to you and you can write any questions you have in that thread.

Yes, that is how we’re leaning.  I just need to be sure that there’s no way to make the flight option reasonable. 

I’m also hoping for a better description of the scenery between Barcelona and Granada on the train.

At this time, the most luxurious train fare is not available and it looks like there’s no food available for purchase.  However, this far in advance, there is no particular train type provided.  I guess I can try to message using the link on the train website.

4 hours ago, mlmdaisy said:

Yes, that is how we’re leaning.  I just need to be sure that there’s no way to make the flight option reasonable. 

I’m also hoping for a better description of the scenery between Barcelona and Granada on the train.

At this time, the most luxurious train fare is not available and it looks like there’s no food available for purchase.  However, this far in advance, there is no particular train type provided.  I guess I can try to message using the link on the train website.

Hello

I wrote an answer here

I think I am, nowadays, the only mainland Spanish forumer who is writting here. I hope these answers could help not only you but anyone in the future (as well I am using other thread to request more info about other countries and cruises for my next holidays).

BTW, I will move on a weekend to Granada in a month or so on tourism

7 hours ago, mlmdaisy said:

Is there a reason you need to be in Granada earlier in the day? There are later flights.

and there are other airlines if you don't mind a stop and layover.

Google to see which other ships are in port that day.  If there are a few large ships, the airport will be filled with cruiseline pax who have been told to make flight reservations after 12 noon.  But if yours is the only ship, you might make it.  I only travel with a carry on, so i can usually avoid checkin.  I got to BCN 2 hrs prior for a domestic flight and did ok. 

Be careful... there are not that many flights to Granada. It is a small city (very beautiful, very touristy but small), and the flights are used by citizens from there, not by tourists. Since it is not far from Madrid, there are only two flights a day from there and some from Barcelona as well.
People in Europe (and especially in Spain since the network was developed) use the railway for domestic travel.

At the Barcelona airport, it doesn't matter how many boats there are so you can find more or less people. It is the tenth airport in Europe in number of passengers and, no matter how many ships there are, there will only be a few more travelers for this airport (that is, the flight traffic is to go to the area, not for cruises as such).
For comparison, it has almost the same passengers as Rome airport (it is the eighth in Europe) and no one would say that if you go to Rome by plane, it is only for a cruise.

I understand that BCN is a huge airport.  This alone does not reveal how efficiently passengers are processed, which is why I’m asking here.

i have moved quickly through airports in Seoul and Panama City, for example, but have spent longer in tiny airports, such as PIE.

We only have one full day in Granada, so ideally we would have more time there the previous day.  If we can’t get there until evening, I would sooner take the train.

My question is possibly naive, but if I was taking a domestic flight from most airports in the US, arriving at the airport 90 minutes ahead would be fine, aside from holiday travel.  

I certainly do not assume that everything is the same everywhere.  Again, this is why I asked and I appreciate all the comments.

Traveling by plane or train has its advantages and disadvantages.

Air travel is very standard with other countries. I assume that everyone knows how to search for flights, buy a ticket and navigate through the airport.

However, traveling by train can generate more doubts for anyone due to the fact that it is unknown. Hence, I provide the data and the answers that arise.

With the data, each person chooses how to move.

For example

>> Travel time
Plane: 1h10m + 2h00 before at the airport + transfer to Barcelona airport + transfer from Granada airport to the center + waiting for luggage

Train: 7h00 +.... very little more (there is no waiting for luggage, the stations are in the center and just a few minutes beforehand on the platform is enough)

>> Luggage
By train it is unlimited at no additional cost and easy to transport to and from the platform

>> Cafeteria and toilets
On the train there is a cafeteria where you can order coffee, drinks and sandwiches.
There are toilets in both places but in the train, because they are so spacious, you can enter and maneuver even in a wheelchair (or change a baby's diapers).

>> Seats
The train wins by a lot. More comfortable seat, you can hang your jacket or coat, they have Wi-Fi and you have a plug to charge your laptop or cell phone while you travel.

In short (assuming that there are convenient schedules)
- plane: faster for a Barcelona - Granada
- train: more comfortable

From there, everyone chooses what they prefer.

Also, thank you for clarifying the advantages of the train.  Overall, we do much prefer it.  I only wish that it got us to Granada before evening.  (The flight would land at around noon.)

Ironically, I had called a company that sells the train tickets.  The agent said I needed to be at the train station 2-3 hours ahead.  I knew that was wrong.

One of my remaining train questions was about food.  I would even spring for first class, but that is not available for the trip we need.  It's good to know that we can get something to eat.

I'd feel even better if someone suggests that the scenery between Barcelona and Granada is pretty, or at least interesting.

2 hours ago, mlmdaisy said:

I understand that BCN is a huge airport.  This alone does not reveal how efficiently passengers are processed, which is why I’m asking here

My question is possibly naive, but if I was taking a domestic flight from most airports in the US, arriving at the airport 90 minutes ahead would be fine, aside from holiday travel.  

I certainly do not assume that everything is the same everywhere.  Again, this is why I asked and I appreciate all the comments.

definitely some airports are more chaotic than others!

And the number of ships in port DOES have a significant impact which is why I suggest you google for that info.  I used to live in Seattle. On weekends when 3 or 4 ships dumped an extra 15-20,000 people at the airport, the impact was huge!! 90 minutes wouldn't cut it.

As I said, we arrived to BCN 2hrs prior and did ok.  We left the port around 10:30am for a 1pm flight.  At that time of day it was a 30 minute drive.  We were flying TAP to Lisbon.  The lines were long; but  the FIRST CLASS ticket counter staff would call us peons over to keep things moving. I'm sure other airlines would do the same.

I think the hesitation with your situation is that you don't know when you can disembark. IDEALLY your ship will arrive on time (or early as they often do) and you'll be climbing into your taxi by 8:15 and at the airport in 20 minutes.   But you don't have any wiggle room.  It wouldn't be in my comfort zone.  

If you are considering the 11am train, doesn't that arrive at 6pm.  In which case, you might as well take the 5:30pm flight.

As for commentary about the scenery, the comments are negative on Rick Steves blog. Google to find other comments or ask on tripadvisor.

Worth taking train from Barcelona to Granada - Rick Steves Travel Forum

If you ar

Actually the one thing I'm confidant about is getting of the ship quickly (one of a zillion reasons we now choose the small ones).  With less than 200 passengers it's a very quick process.

I'm worried about potential traffic delays on the way to the airport and especially security lines.  If we choose the later flight we'd have no option but to hang around the airport for hours.  Atlas is the first cruise line I've sailed with that offers no post cruise tours.

My concern wouldn't be the speed of getting off the ship; it would be about the ship arriving to port later than 8am, or a problem with paperwork that causes Spanish officials to delay disembarking.

Why would you have to spend the day at the airport?  Take a cab from the port to Placa Catalunya where there is luggage storage then wander around LasRamblas or Gothic Qtr for a few hrs.  Then collect your luggage and take the Aerobus to the airport.

Good luck !

Yup, there are sometimes delays due to documentation.  Coming from Peniscola the previous day, I cannot manage arriving to Barcelona late.

Still, conventional wisdom is ruling out the 10:40 flight.  The next Vueling flight gets us to Granada significantly later, so we're pretty set on the train now.  We'll get to our hotel almost two hours earlier than if we fly then.

I'd also like to clarify that this is a domestic fight, to Granada.

One detail just to clarify... for departure purposes the only difference is a passport control. If your passport is ok, you'll go through (police just check you can leave the country).

And... it is not a "domestic flight" but a "Schengen flight". In Spain, duties for a Barcelona - Granada are the same than for a Barcelona - Helsinki, Barcelona - Reykjavik or Barcelona - Athens. This is, no passport control in all of them (since 2024 Schengen area includes Romanian and Bulgarian airports too).

For arrivals it will be different. Passport (and visa) check, something to declare, etc...

Also, thank you for clarifying the advantages of the train.  Overall, we do much prefer it.  I only wish that it got us to Granada before evening.  (The flight would land at around noon.)

Ironically, I had called a company that sells the train tickets.  The agent said I needed to be at the train station 2-3 hours ahead.  I knew that was wrong.

One of my remaining train questions was about food.  I would even spring for first class, but that is not available for the trip we need.  It's good to know that we can get something to eat.

I'd feel even better if someone suggests that the scenery between Barcelona and Granada is pretty, or at least interesting.

About food in the train.

I found this

https://www.renfe.com/es/en/travel/el-viaje/on-board/onboard-dining

and this picture (it is a train cafeteria)

image.thumb.png.a1de3389ad0788dcbd5a4322a000bfb7.png

and... if you are going to stop in Madrid to get another train, you have some cafeterias and fast food there to buy something and get into the train with it