Salon Tips

Smitheroo

3 hours ago, Smitheroo said:

You make an excellent point. The problem is that not everyone has the same degree of self confidence. I agree that if everyone keeps giving in  they will keep expecting that.   Since I dont need salon services that much I'm not going to remake myself . I just wont use spa services.  So they hurt themselves in the long run with my approach as well.   I feel the same with the "additional tip" line for specialty dining.  The food is good, the setting is nice but I'll just continue eating in the main dining room. 

Your issue is actually with your own inability to say no, and based on what you've said here and also your post about cruise next certificates, it seems like you are more pissed at yourself for not being able to say no. I can't go anywhere these days without seeing the ever present "tip jar."  Does anyone really think the person who hands you your McDonald's lunch should get a tip?  Please do yourself a favor and work on saying no to things you don't want to do.  It will make so many things that much less stressful for you.  What's the worst that can happen when you say no to these situations?  A stranger who in reality probably isn't even thinking about you at all may think poorly of you?  To paraphrase Ru Paul "what anyone thinks about you is none of your business."

• Like 3

I have no idea if what I was told was true, but I had a hair service onboard in August. I asked the stylist how much of the 20% tip he actually received. He told me the tip was split 3 ways, him, the salon and I think the third was the ship. I did the math and tipped an additional amount so that he actually received a reasonable tip - probably an extra $10, can't remember now.

On another cruise line I had a hair service and the stylist was really pushing the products. I told her many times that I wasn't going to buy anything, didn't have space in my luggage and that I could get the same brand of products less than 5 miles from my home. I must have told her this a half dozen times.

6 hours ago, gizfish said:

Your issue is actually with your own inability to say no, and based on what you've said here and also your post about cruise next certificates, it seems like you are more pissed at yourself for not being able to say no. I can't go anywhere these days without seeing the ever present "tip jar."  Does anyone really think the person who hands you your McDonald's lunch should get a tip?  Please do yourself a favor and work on saying no to things you don't want to do.  It will make so many things that much less stressful for you.  What's the worst that can happen when you say no to these situations?  A stranger who in reality probably isn't even thinking about you at all may think poorly of you?  To paraphrase Ru Paul "what anyone thinks about you is none of your business."

The tip lines are there for folks who want to leave a tip. Cruise ships are cashless, many don’t carry cash but want to tip at the bar or specialty restaurants. I tip at the bar (but bring singles), I don’t tip at specialty restaurants, so I leave it blank. If I’m using a tablet at a business on land yo pay for food I’m picking up, I usually put $0 for the tip. However, those machines are pretty generic, the same ones can be used for sit down service where I want to add a tip. Should there be no way to leave a tip so not to frustrate or offend those who choose not too?

14 minutes ago, vswan said:

I have no idea if what I was told was true, but I had a hair service onboard in August. I asked the stylist how much of the 20% tip he actually received. He told me the tip was split 3 ways, him, the salon and I think the third was the ship. I did the math and tipped an additional amount so that he actually received a reasonable tip - probably an extra $10, can't remember now.

On another cruise line I had a hair service and the stylist was really pushing the products. I told her many times that I wasn't going to buy anything, didn't have space in my luggage and that I could get the same brand of products less than 5 miles from my home. I must have told her this a half dozen times.

I believe this is true about the tip split. As for products, that’s the cash cow and generates the most profit, services are just to get you through the door. Employees are instructed to do the hard sell, because even though you stood your ground, many give in a purchase products.

6 hours ago, gizfish said:

The last line said by someone with a strong sense of self esteem. We are all different. I have no problems ignoring tip jars on counters of fast food places or even the tip line on the cash register at Panera's.  Different situations cause different responses.  Yes, I wish I could respond the same way in all situations, This is a forum which means discussion. I have no problem with someone having an opinion different than mine. What I do have a problem with is when it is obvious that person hasnt even read my post or else is misunderstanding it, then turns what is his problem (lack of comprehension)  and uses it against me.  Ignoring that type of response can be tough.  

7 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

The tip lines are there for folks who want to leave a tip. Cruise ships are cashless, many don’t carry cash but want to tip at the bar or specialty restaurants. I tip at the bar (but bring singles), I don’t tip at specialty restaurants, so I leave it blank. If I’m using a tablet at a business on land yo pay for food I’m picking up, I usually put $0 for the tip. However, those machines are pretty generic, the same ones can be used for sit down service where I want to add a tip. Should there be no way to leave a tip so not to frustrate or offend those who choose not too?

Thank you for your reasonable response.  No, I dont care if there is an additional tip line .  Just dont make an effort to point it out to me. I can read. Hand me the receipt, ask me to sign it and I can see the line that says "additional tip".    But you are right, the ship is cashless so there should be a way to provide an extra tip like this.   Too bad there is no additional tip line for the room stewards. Its cash or nothing for them.  Well, there's the hero cards.  Yeah I know how effective that kind of recognition can be. I did work at one time.    

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jsn55 said:

`EXACTLY!  Figure out what works for YOU!  You have your priorities straight.  

I just let my travel partner deal wth the bar lol   and btw, I do think there are situation with drinks that deserve the "additonal tip".  For example:   I have paid the drinks gratuities.  But I'm sitting in the Atrium and a crew member passes by and asks me "woud you like another drink"  I say yes, that would be nice, merlot please and he/she takes my empty glass and brings the new one  That service  should be given recognition in the form of a small, extra tip.  But if someone doesnt agree with me, that's their business.  

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, vswan said:

Yeah, I did buy an extra product lol

Thanks! This reminded me to text my husband that we're foregoing massages on our cruise next week. Even if we book the manager's special we pay more than we'd pay on land. And, we'd give two enormous companies money instead of a local massager (I know there's a fancy word, but I can't spell it). 

As for haircuts, well we just talked about that today too! We both have decided to get our Supercuts haircut when we return from the cruise, rather than before the cruise. We've looked at the onboard barber prices and I believe both said "oh hell no" at the same time. It's absurd what they charge. 

We'll both be hairy beasts onboard! I did just look up local cosmetology schools. Alas, I didn't find one. Supercuts, at $35 plus $10 tip, is way too expensive for the amount of hair I don't have anymore. I'm not quite a monk, but pretty close. 

Thanks for this relevant thread! Apparently I go to the wrong kind of hair cutter if I'm not getting wine or cappuccino on the house. Gosh, how much do those hair cuts cost?!!?!?!

10 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Thanks! This reminded me to text my husband that we're foregoing massages on our cruise next week. Even if we book the manager's special we pay more than we'd pay on land. And, we'd give two enormous companies money instead of a local massager (I know there's a fancy word, but I can't spell it). 

As for haircuts, well we just talked about that today too! We both have decided to get our Supercuts haircut when we return from the cruise, rather than before the cruise. We've looked at the onboard barber prices and I believe both said "oh hell no" at the same time. It's absurd what they charge. 

We'll both be hairy beasts onboard! I did just look up local cosmetology schools. Alas, I didn't find one. Supercuts, at $35 plus $10 tip, is way too expensive for the amount of hair I don't have anymore. I'm not quite a monk, but pretty close. 

Thanks for this relevant thread! Apparently I go to the wrong kind of hair cutter if I'm not getting wine or cappuccino on the house. Gosh, how much do those hair cuts cost?!!?!?!

$90 for me, $30 for H (pre-Covid his was $15).

41 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

I pay about 150$ plus tip USD but I’m there for 3 hours and only get my hair done every 3 months. Keep in mind I get charged more because I have ridiculously thick hair. I alternate between getting balayage with a toner and cut and a perm and cut. But it works out in the end because day to day my hair is very low maintenance.

3 hours ago, Smitheroo said:

I just let my travel partner deal wth the bar lol   and btw, I do think there are situation with drinks that deserve the "additonal tip".  For example:   I have paid the drinks gratuities.  But I'm sitting in the Atrium and a crew member passes by and asks me "woud you like another drink"  I say yes, that would be nice, merlot please and he/she takes my empty glass and brings the new one  That service  should be given recognition in the form of a small, extra tip.  But if someone doesn't agree with me, that's their business.  

I agree, but I find the ongoing whining and self-justification annoying.  Just take responsibility for yourself, pre-think your actions.  If you want better service at the bar, give the bartender a cash tip.  If you make appointments for outrageously priced services on a cruiseship, decide beforehand how you will handle a gratuity.  Don't expect the world to change to cater to your inability to stand up for your beliefs or actions.  

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, jsn55 said:

I agree, but I find the ongoing whining and self-justification annoying.  Just take responsibility for yourself, pre-think your actions.  If you want better service at the bar, give the bartender a cash tip.  If you make appointments for outrageously priced services on a cruiseship, decide beforehand how you will handle a gratuity.  Don't expect the world to change to cater to your inability to stand up for your beliefs or actions.  

Yes Sir!

One way to deal with the hard sell on salon products is to say at the beginning of your salon service something like "I would really like to relax and enjoy my massage...hair cut.....facial, and would appreciate it if you don't try to sell my any products, as I have no intention of buying."

• Like 1

I'm thinking of how I handle the 'quick oil change' places.  I have a really good mechanic, but every other oil change, I just do a quick run through JiffyLube or whatever.  Every time they tell me what's 'wrong' and want to replace something, I thank them profusely and tell them that I'll alert my mechanic.  Works wonders.  

11 hours ago, gizfish said:

One way to deal with the hard sell on salon products is to say at the beginning of your salon service something like "I would really like to relax and enjoy my massage...hair cut.....facial, and would appreciate it if you don't try to sell my any products, as I have no intention of buying."

How does that work out?  I imagine they still try to hard sell since their jobs depend upon how many extras they sell.