Salon Tips

Smitheroo

What's with the "additional tip" with salon services

I paid  for what I consider to be overpriced services and willingly paid the "added 20% service charge" (I had no choice of course)  So why are they looking for an additional tip? Yes, I know its completely voluntary based on a client's perception of service but they are really pushy.  Some people dont like to be put in that position.  I did pay an additional tip and for that reason (along with my cruise next experience that I've been ranting about) I will never take advantage of their salon services again. Yes, it was nice and I liked my hair cut but I'll just continue to pay $9 at my local beauty school for the same service. I wouldnt feel this bitter if the additional tip wasnt shoved in my face

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SoloAlaska said:

Ya the spa is insanely expensive and I’m use to paying 200-300$ every time I get my hair done on land. 

Well, I'm not complaining about the charge for the service although I agree its pricey.  Often salons are and they (the NCL salon) are upfront about it. The prices of services are all clearly listed. But then they charge 20 % service charge (and I'm okay with that although there is someone here who probably thinks I have an issue with that ). Its just the "additional tip" and being so obvious abou itt that I think is tacky. 

• Like 2

I never use the salon, even years ago, it was overpriced and now it is ridiculous. I can go to the most upscale salon in my Texas city and it is nowhere near the spa’s cost.  I get it, it’s like airport food, you’re captive and it’s exclusive,  we used to always get massages but those too are over the top for us.  The spa employees are more aggressive in the pursuit of additional tips than anywhere else on the ship. Therefore we use the thermal pass but we no longer subject ourselves to the bullying of the staff for tips or product purchase.  Years ago, on my admission paperwork, I wrote in very large letters that I did not want the sales pitch for products and would cancel  my tips if they even mentioned it.  Amazingly, it stopped.   Nowadays, tips are out of hand.  I was at a convenience store to buy a bottle of water and the credit card machine asked me if I wanted to add a tip.    Stand your ground, but realize many people like the pampering and are willing to pay the price, so it will not end.  Just avoid the situation,and enjoy your extra cash.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Smitheroo said:

Well, I'm not complaining about the charge for the service although I agree its pricey.  Often salons are and they (the NCL salon) are upfront about it. The prices of services are all clearly listed. But then they charge 20 % service charge (and I'm okay with that although there is someone here who probably thinks I have an issue with that ). Its just the "additional tip" and being so obvious abou itt that I think is tacky. 

I think my issue is how it relates with tips. I don’t have a problem with the price if the staff are properly compensated and tips are not expected. If your asking inflated prices, making a mandatory 20% gratuity and on top of that insisting on a tip it’s gotten completely out of hand at that point. On land I go to a massage therapist and no tip is expected at all, there are no prompts for it even but on a ship your charging at-least twice the price plus plus plus and it’s done by a staff with less credential. 

if the price was all inclusive it would be fine but I want it to be an enjoyable experience at a spa instead there is pressure placed to squeeze every dollar they can out of me.

9 hours ago, SoloAlaska said:

I think my issue is how it relates with tips. I don’t have a problem with the price if the staff are properly compensated and tips are not expected. If your asking inflated prices, making a mandatory 20% gratuity and on top of that insisting on a tip it’s gotten completely out of hand at that point. On land I go to a massage therapist and no tip is expected at all, there are no prompts for it even but on a ship your charging at-least twice the price plus plus plus and it’s done by a staff with less credential. 

if the price was all inclusive it would be fine but I want it to be an enjoyable experience at a spa instead there is pressure placed to squeeze every dollar they can out of me.

I can guarantee if you get a massage in the US a tip is expected. The spa/salon are not run by NCL, it’s leased space, I wonder if the staff in there get that 20% at all.

I see the complaint.  I also don’t like being pressured for a tip on top of the one already included.  Also agree that the spa services are insanely overpriced on the ship.  I try to avoid it.  Last year I was on a B2B for a total of 26 nights on the Breakaway.  I had no choice but to get the nails done.  😃. I did not add an additional tip and didn’t feel guilty about it,

I just have to say that this not solely an NCL issue.  We were on a Carnival ship in August.  (Will never do that again!). Anyway, we had the drink package.  Had already paid a gratuity on the drinks.  But you had to sign for every drink and there was a line for an additional tip on each slip.  I really didn’t like that.  Felt like we were pressured for an additional rip with each and every drink we had.  

Edited by Russiamomm

1 hour ago, mjkacmom said:

I can guarantee if you get a massage in the US a tip is expected. The spa/salon are not run by NCL, it’s leased space, I wonder if the staff in there get that 20% at all.

Does your dental hygienist also expect a tip? 

• Haha 2

This is not limited to the salon.

Just about every receipt, on land as well as at sea, has a space for 'additional tip'. I believe they are standard forms. I have seen spaces for tips on take-out orders and even counter service.

The easy option, especially if you've already been charged 20%, is to ignore that line. If the person providing the service is being pushy, remind them that they're getting 20% and, if they persist, report them to a supervisor - up to the Hotel Manager if necessary.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Smitheroo said:

What's with the "additional tip" with salon services

I paid  for what I consider to be overpriced services and willingly paid the "added 20% service charge" (I had no choice of course)  So why are they looking for an additional tip? Yes, I know its completely voluntary based on a client's perception of service but they are really pushy.  Some people dont like to be put in that position.  I did pay an additional tip and for that reason (along with my cruise next experience that I've been ranting about) I will never take advantage of their salon services again. Yes, it was nice and I liked my hair cut but I'll just continue to pay $9 at my local beauty school for the same service. I wouldnt feel this bitter if the additional tip wasnt shoved in my face

So your salon experience is consistent with every cruise line and most land based salons. It is normal and expected. Not sure why you would not expect it.

My hair dresser at home (been going to her for almost 20 years) will still push product “to improve my hair condition” every month, even though she knows she has not made a sale in 20 years. 

So,,, if you are frugal $9 hair chop person, what possessed you to go to a cruise ship salon????  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

So your salon experience is consistent with every cruise line and most land based salons. It is normal and expected. Not sure why you would not expect it.

My hair dresser at home (been going to her for almost 20 years) will still push product “to improve my hair condition” every month, even though she knows she has not made a sale in 20 years. 

So,,, if you are frugal $9 hair chop person, what possessed you to go to a cruise ship salon????  

My stylist always asks me if I need any product that time but never pushes. Salons aren’t all pushy some are actually about enjoyment of the client. I rather go to a salon that asks me if I want a cappuccino or a glass of wine than one that tries to pressure sell me stuff. Yes sometimes I need some curl refresher and will pick it up at the salon but there is never a sales pitch for me to do it. 

Just now, mjkacmom said:

No, because that isn’t a tipped position. A massage is a tipped service, lime hair dresser or manicurist.

If it’s an insured service by health insurance then it is not a tipped position. Most massage therapists on land are insured services hence no tip. At least in Canada most massage therapists are registered and services are covered by health insurance. Most spas have RMTs.

6 minutes ago, SoloAlaska said:

If it’s an insured service by health insurance then it is not a tipped position. Most massage therapists on land are insured services hence no tip. At least in Canada most massage therapists are registered and services are covered by health insurance. Most spas have RMTs.

But in the US they’re not and tipping is expected (not covered by health insurance unless it’s a medical massage). My daughter is getting her doctorate in physical therapy, she will not expect tips.

26 minutes ago, SoloAlaska said:

My stylist always asks me if I need any product that time but never pushes. Salons aren’t all pushy some are actually about enjoyment of the client. I rather go to a salon that asks me if I want a cappuccino or a glass of wine than one that tries to pressure sell me stuff. Yes sometimes I need some curl refresher and will pick it up at the salon but there is never a sales pitch for me to do it. 

But your stylist has a job. The spa people on the ship are evaluated and paid and only keep their job based on making upsells. 

That is what you should expect. Nothing less. 

I go to the spa in every cruise. I go in there with the understanding that the technician is going to push additional products and services. I’m not gonna come to Cruise critic and complain about it.

22 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

But your stylist has a job. The spa people on the ship are evaluated and paid and only keep their job based on making upsells. 

That is what you should expect. Nothing less. 

I go to the spa in every cruise. I go in there with the understanding that the technician is going to push additional products and services. I’m not gonna come to Cruise critic and complain about it.

If I’m going in for my hair on a ship I do agree I expect a sales pitch. It’s the pushing to tip twice that I disagree with. Honestly I do add a cash tip on top of the automatic gratuity but it will never be 20%. This is only if I’m feeling relaxed and happy. If your being pushy and insisting on a double tip then I leave it at the automatic gratuity.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

I suspect you didnt read my post completely because I was not complaining about the price of the service.  The prices are high but they are listed up front, no surprises.  And dont laugh but the reason I tried them was because of the "Cruise Next Deal" I thought I had.

2nd) I'm not complaining about the 20% service charge added to the bill. That is also upfront. No surprises.  and I understand why its applied because beauty salon crew are not services everyone on the ship uses so are not part of the "daily service charge pie".   Although automatically applying this 20 % kind of goes against the idea that tipping is discretionery- its not. In the salon its required . I have not heard of anyone trying to remove their salon tip. and I dont think they should, that's not the point of my post. 

3) What I am complaining about is the tacky way of trying to get an "additional tip" (line provided for this on the sales slip) .  Anyone who wants to give an "additional tip" on top of the 20% service charge automatically applied  are free to do so, in cash. the way people give room stewards extra in cash.  

Some will say you dont have to give an "additional tip"  , its totally up to you.  I realize that and part of the problem is my inability to ignore the blatant demand for extra tipping.  I dont have a very thick skin when it comes to certain things. Some people will have no problem ignoring the "additional tip" line on the receipt and just sign it. I say good for them, wish I could.

Please go back and re-read my post and see if its clear what I'm actually talking about (use the word "complain" if necessary)  It was not about the high price service, it was not about the automatic gratuity. It was soley about the attempt to get more money out of the client by putting them in a position that might be uncomfortable to some.

I'm not sure why I added the part about the $9 service at my local beauty school. I probably shouldnt have because while it is true that my $9 hair cut was just as good as a high priced salon cut that was not the point I was trying to make.  It was soley about the "additional tip".

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Smitheroo said:

Some will say you dont have to give an "additional tip"  , its totally up to you.  I realize that and part of the problem is my inability to ignore the blatant demand for extra tipping.  I dont have a very thick skin when it comes to certain things. Some people will have no problem ignoring the "additional tip" line on the receipt and just sign it. I say good for them, wish I could.

I'd like some clarification on "blatant demand for extra tipping". What exactly does that mean? From what I've read, you seem to be upset that there is a line for a tip on the receipt. Am I interpreting this correctly, or did the staff "demand" the tip in some other way that I'm not seeing?

As we all love constructive criticism, what specifically would you suggest that would still satisfy the salon employee as far as allowing the opportunity for clients to tip, but also not trigger the negative reaction that you seem to have experienced?

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Capitan Obvious said:

I'd like some clarification on "blatant demand for extra tipping". What exactly does that mean? From what I've read, you seem to be upset that there is a line for a tip on the receipt. Am I interpreting this correctly, or did the staff "demand" the tip in some other way that I'm not seeing?

As we all love constructive criticism, what specifically would you suggest that would still satisfy the salon employee as far as allowing the opportunity for clients to tip, but also not trigger the negative reaction that you seem to have experienced?

Have you actually had salon services and are familiar with the receipt you sign?  I'm thinking probably not from the way you are describing your thought process.  Maybe the word "blatant" was a bit much. Lets reword it to "request for additional tip" I do consider it blatant when they  push it at you and request you sign it, and adding "there is a line additional tip" if you wish. Since when does a server ask for a tip?  Ok, they havent actually demanded an "additional tip" but they have suggested it. And I am referring to "additional" tip, not the 20 required service charge. (tip)

Now back up and re-read my post.  1) I was not complaining about the price of the services. (you didnt say that but someone else suggeted I was)   2) I was not complaining about the 20% required service charge, which is another word for tip.  It is required and I accept that    3) What I dont like is the line  "additional tip"  brought to my attention. I can read it  but I dont need to be  reminded.  Maybe you are chock full of self confidence but not everyone is and might find this intimidating.  Some might say that is the clients problem if they dont have the guts to decline making an "additional" tip. 

Does your room steward come up to you and say "if you want to make an additional tip I have some envelopes you can put the money in?"   Of course not . Maybe people who work in a salon think they are more deserving than people who clean your cabin?    

I hope my explanation has made it clearer what I am referring to by "additional" tip.  

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Guindalf said:

The easy option, especially if you've already been charged 20%, is to ignore that line. If the person providing the service is being pushy, remind them that they're getting 20% and, if they persist, report them to a supervisor - up to the Hotel Manager if necessary.

Their supervisors are the ones pushing them to  push you for a 'tip' which they will only see a small, if any, portion thereof.

23 hours ago, MagnoliaBlossom said:

I never use the salon, even years ago, it was overpriced and now it is ridiculous. I can go to the most upscale salon in my Texas city and it is nowhere near the spa’s cost.  I get it, it’s like airport food, you’re captive and it’s exclusive,  we used to always get massages but those too are over the top for us.  The spa employees are more aggressive in the pursuit of additional tips than anywhere else on the ship. Therefore we use the thermal pass but we no longer subject ourselves to the bullying of the staff for tips or product purchase.  Years ago, on my admission paperwork, I wrote in very large letters that I did not want the sales pitch for products and would cancel  my tips if they even mentioned it.  Amazingly, it stopped.   Nowadays, tips are out of hand.  I was at a convenience store to buy a bottle of water and the credit card machine asked me if I wanted to add a tip.    Stand your ground, but realize many people like the pampering and are willing to pay the price, so it will not end.  Just avoid the situation,and enjoy your extra cash.

thank you so much for your understanding of what I was trying to convey in my post.  I felt like I was fighting (for lack of a better word) a losing battle. I suspect many didnt even know what they were discussing as it was mostly men (may even have been all men)  They can charge whatever they want at the spa and salon and ask for additional tips all they want  I wont go there again.   I agree with you, some people want the services and I guess have no problem with the price and that's fine.  The reason I tried it was a ridiculous one, silly me but I wont do that again.  Thanks for making me feel a bit better

23 hours ago, Smitheroo said:

The whole tipping thing on a cruiseship amuses me no end.  When prepaid gratuities appeared, I could see what the cruiselines were doing and made my choice.  You have a choice when you cruise.  I consider all the fees and service charges from the cruiseline as part of the cost of my cruise.  I don't much care how they structure the total price of my cruise.  If I think the total cost of the cruise is worth it, I'll book the cruise.  I tip people who give me service in cash.  Always have, always will.  

If you believe the crewmembers get their share of the 20% you're charged as their tip, there is absolutely no reason to 'feel pressured' to tip more.  They are preying on pax who want to be  'liked'.  Why would you want a spa technician to like you?  It's all just baloney.  You can chose to IGNORE anything whatsoever to do with tipping over what you've already been charged.  As long as pax continue to fall for this 'pressure', the service providers will continue to provide the pressure.  As my MIL would say, "Don't be a patsy, these people are just trying to pry money out of your pocket".  Even if they DO like you better, why would you care?  They're being tipped by the cruiseline, or they're being tipped by the pax.  

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, jsn55 said:

The whole tipping thing on a cruiseship amuses me no end.  When prepaid gratuities appeared, I could see what the cruiselines were doing and made my choice.  You have a choice when you cruise.  I consider all the fees and service charges from the cruiseline as part of the cost of my cruise.  I don't much care how they structure the total price of my cruise.  If I think the total cost of the cruise is worth it, I'll book the cruise.  I tip people who give me service in cash.  Always have, always will.  

If you believe the crewmembers get their share of the 20% you're charged as their tip, there is absolutely no reason to 'feel pressured' to tip more.  They are preying on pax who want to be  'liked'.  Why would you want a spa technician to like you?  It's all just baloney.  You can chose to IGNORE anything whatsoever to do with tipping over what you've already been charged.  As long as pax continue to fall for this 'pressure', the service providers will continue to provide the pressure.  As my MIL would say, "Don't be a patsy, these people are just trying to pry money out of your pocket".  Even if they DO like you better, why would you care?  They're being tipped by the cruiseline, or they're being tipped by the pax.  

The one place I care if they like me better is at the bar 😆 that way I get quicker service and more drinks.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, SoloAlaska said:

The one place I care if they like me better is at the bar 😆 that way I get quicker service and more drinks.

`EXACTLY!  Figure out what works for YOU!  You have your priorities straight.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, jsn55 said:

You make an excellent point. The problem is that not everyone has the same degree of self confidence. I agree that if everyone keeps giving in  they will keep expecting that.   Since I dont need salon services that much I'm not going to remake myself . I just wont use spa services.  So they hurt themselves in the long run with my approach as well.   I feel the same with the "additional tip" line for specialty dining.  The food is good, the setting is nice but I'll just continue eating in the main dining room.