How To Check Balance On RCCL AARP Gift Card

Anyone know how to check the balance on the RCCL AARP Gift Cards?  I'm reading the "Terms and Conditions" which states "cannot be partially redeemed" and that concerns me as I should have $150 remaining balance after my final payment using 3 gift cards. I have a gut feeling that I'm screwed and I will never see the $150.

I just looked over the terms and conditions to the AARP RCI gift cards today and noticed that statement as well.  I think you're right, because the gift card terms stated they must be redeemed in their entirety (fully) at one time.  I planned to partially pay for my cruise with them, but noticed the terms also say not good for group booking and I know my TA has me in a group rate booking.  Sorry, I wish I had something more reassuring to say.  

I use AARP gift certificates as well. The excess should be returned to the card used at booking. Attaching an email from sharedservicesgiftcertificateredemption@rccl.com below confirming this is how it should be handled. In my experience, you will not be contacted for 10 days-2 weeks after sending the certificate.

Screenshot_20231112_032906_Gmail.jpg

3 hours ago, TravelinTess said:

I use AARP gift certificates as well. The excess should be returned to the card used at booking. Attaching an email from sharedservicesgiftcertificateredemption@rccl.com below confirming this is how it should be handled. In my experience, you will not be contacted for 10 days-2 weeks after sending the certificate.

Screenshot_20231112_032906_Gmail.jpg

Thank you.  My question then becomes if there is a balance on the gift card and based on the "terms" listed, does that mean the balance can only be applied to a "new" booking and cannot be used for anything else? It seems very restrictive and confusing.

Unfortunately speaking with RCI doesn't always clear up the confusion.   I chatted with them to be sure I could use the RCI gift card from AARP for my booked cruise.  I gave the reservation number, and all info regarding my booking.  After researching,  he said yes, I can use the gift card to pay down my cruise.   I went to the AARP website and read the terms carefully.   Nope.   Not accepted for group rate cruise.🙄

I have used the gift certificates on cruises booked 9+ months earlier- definately not new. I do make sure I send the certificates in no later than 3 week prior to final payment. I book directly through Royal and do not use a TA. Because I sail with three in a cabin, I was told by an agent with a reputable agency that I do not qualify for group rates on the cruises I have priced out, so I cannot speak to your experience, though that is in the small print terms on the certificate. 

When I first tested the waters with gift certificates, I purchased a $50 certificate through Card Cash at 8% off and sent it in to ensure it was legit. I have been using them to pay down my cruises ever since. 

11 hours ago, silversneakers said:

Thank you.  My question then becomes if there is a balance on the gift card and based on the "terms" listed, does that mean the balance can only be applied to a "new" booking and cannot be used for anything else? It seems very restrictive and confusing.

The balance will go back to the card you used to pay the deposit. So, say you paid a $750 deposit when you booked the cruise and you have a $100 balance on the certificate after paying everything off, they will credit you $100 back to the card you used to pay the initial $750. 

I agree it is super confusing- try the MyVegas game rewards- those were nearly impossible for me to decipher and made these gift certificates read like a childrens book! 

Edited by TravelinTess

12 hours ago, TravelinTess said:

The balance will go back to the card you used to pay the deposit. So, say you paid a $750 deposit when you booked the cruise and you have a $100 balance on the certificate after paying everything off, they will credit you $100 back to the card you used to pay the initial $750. 

I agree it is super confusing- try the MyVegas game rewards- those were nearly impossible for me to decipher and made these gift certificates read like a childrens book! 

Thank you.  I'll watch my credit card I used for original deposit to see what happens.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/13/2023 at 7:16 AM, silversneakers said:

Thank you.  I'll watch my credit card I used for original deposit to see what happens.

Just reporting that I did get the balance of my AARP gift card applied to my original deposit payment credit card.  The AARP gift card process was a little disconcerting as it took a relatively long period to complete the process.  I emailed my gift card (10/27) to RCCL as directed by the gift card instruction and the info clearly stated 10 business days.  Since my final payment was due in a week I did call RCCL and explained I sent the gift card info, received an auto-confirm.  They did extend my final payment date to coincide with my gift card processing time. It was right down to the wire but the gift card did get processed and the balance remaining showed up on my credit card within 7 days so all is good. I am just so use to being able to apply a gift card online (other cruise line) myself for immediate payment that I felt RCCL process was a bit cumbersome but all is good.  Just be sure to READ the TERMS so you understand how the AARP gift card works, i.e., booking directly with RCCL, emailing digital gift cards and waiting for application (10 business days).

Edited by silversneakers
  • Thanks 1