Noise heard in Penthouse Suites on Riviera deck from Lido deck on the Crown, Emerald, Ruby.

skidroe

I would like to know as well.  We usually take an aft facing suite but the distance from there to the aft elevators is getting to be too much for my hubby.  For our upcoming cruise on the Crown I switched us to rooms right across from the midship elevators.  That should make it easier for him but hoping not too much noise from above.

57 minutes ago, marden1970 said:

I would like to know as well.  We usually take an aft facing suite but the distance from there to the aft elevators is getting to be too much for my hubby.  For our upcoming cruise on the Crown I switched us to rooms right across from the midship elevators.  That should make it easier for him but hoping not too much noise from above.

From the aft suites we have never had any noise issue. Don’t care for the midship locations even when I have bee using a cane after surgery 

• Like 1

We were in R406 PH Suite a month ago on the Crown to Hawaii.  Have been in this location before and never heard much noise from above.  But this cruise we heard it quite a bit.  No idea what was above us, but it sounded like carts rolling across the floor constantly.  Actually went up to look if we could see what it was, but never did.  It wasn't horrible, but it was definitely loud enough in the early morning.

3 hours ago, Hulagirl said:

We were in R406 PH Suite a month ago on the Crown to Hawaii.  Have been in this location before and never heard much noise from above.  But this cruise we heard it quite a bit.  No idea what was above us, but it sounded like carts rolling across the floor constantly.  Actually went up to look if we could see what it was, but never did.  It wasn't horrible, but it was definitely loud enough in the early morning.

Those suites are right below the pool deck so probably the towel carts or something. I was looking at those PH suites on Crown until I saw they are under the Lido deck. 

We were on the Ruby Princess in Suite R410 (Deck 14) for a cruise from Galveston to San Francisco in March/April 2023.  We have never been in a room that had so much noise coming from above particularly late at night.  It came right through the ceiling so loud it was like they were in our room.  It was very loud metal on metal noise that usually started around 10:00 p.m. or so and could go on until after midnight.  We discovered that this room is directly below the kitchen for the pizza place (Slice) on the pool deck.  As they neared closing time and after, apparently they had cleanup to do which meant they had to clean all the pans, etc they used for the pizza.  It almost sounded like they were throwing the pans around.  I went up there during the day and found that the whole room was nothing but metal - metal walls, metal counters, metal sinks, metal floors as you might expect from a commercial kitchen for sanitary purposes.  

We complained about the noise to the Customer Service Concierge several times and even recorded it so they would understand what we were talking about.  They admitted that there had been complaints from previous guests also.  They were horrified at the level of noise coming through to our room though.  There was no other room available to move us too, so they talked to the people from the pizza place about trying to hold the noise down.  We think they tried to keep it down as best they could, but they had a job to do.  It never actually went away.  We suggested they add insulation when the Ruby went into dry dock in September 2023.  We'll never know because we will never get that room again.

We also heard carts rolling around early in the morning when they were setting things up on the pool deck.  That wasn't such a big issue for us as we get up early and were already awake, but for someone who likes to sleep in a bit that could be an issue.

We normally don't get rooms right below the pool deck for all these reasons, but for this cruise we ended up booking late and the room we got was one of only two available.  Maybe we should have taken the other one instead.  That one was below the restrooms - ?

Yes these suites are under the pool deck and near the cones/pizza area.  There are tables above which normally helps some.  We have stayed in these suites several times and never heard noise like we did on this particular cruise.  It was the worst for this.  I'm sure it was carts that do make a lot of noise.  Wasn't so bad it disturbed us, but it was noticeable.

It is a very noisy location.  Not sure why they put the full suites right there under the pool deck but that was poor planning on their part.  At 5:30 AM, they started to set up the pool deck loungers and I swear it shook the walls.  Boom!  Then, chair scraping could be heard all day long.  At night, the security guards roam the decks and have hard soled shoes.  You could hear every step.  Not to mention the cleaning and carts rolling overhead.  Oh, one last thing, they sometimes set up a ping pong table right in that area.  Thump, thump, thump!!  I think you get the picture.  

It's smart you asked ahead of time.  I'm not much of a complainer but on that cruise, I was. 

34 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

It is a very noisy location.  Not sure why they put the full suites right there under the pool deck but that was poor planning on their part.  At 5:30 AM, they started to set up the pool deck loungers and I swear it shook the walls.  Boom!  Then, chair scraping could be heard all day long.  At night, the security guards roam the decks and have hard soled shoes.  You could hear every step.  Not to mention the cleaning and carts rolling overhead.  Oh, one last thing, they sometimes set up a ping pong table right in that area.  Thump, thump, thump!!  I think you get the picture.  

It's smart you asked ahead of time.  I'm not much of a complainer but on that cruise, I was. 

I believe they put those suites there because of all the people especially on these boards complaining about mobility  issues walking from the aft suites to the elevators so the pit a bunch next to the mid ship elevators. Also many people seem concerned about suites aft and forward having issues with motion 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, memoak said:

I believe they put those suites there because of all the people especially on these boards complaining about mobility  issues walking from the aft suites to the elevators so the pit a bunch next to the mid ship elevators. Also many people seem concerned about suites aft and forward having issues with motion 

Some people I know love those cabins but only because those ones are hard of hearing or can sleep through anything.  I do better now since I've gotten a white noise machine.  Not sure how I would do in a cabin all the way forward, though.  I should try it on a short cruise as a trial.  

12 hours ago, memoak said:

I wonder about the design thinking as well.  Marketing-wise would standard balcony cabins under the lido be a tougher sell than the suites?  There are a limited number of suites and there are folks - from reading these boards -who MUST have a suite.

Personally, after a few bad experiences below the Melanoma deck and above a nightclub/disco, I sail in nothing but a cabin with passengers above, below, and across the corridor.  A quiet Inside Luxury Suite to me is better than a mini or regular suite below the Pizza scullery as experienced above.  

I have noticed that when doing a booking on Princess.com that the suites seem to be sold out sooner than later.

Edited by SargassoPirate

On 11/13/2023 at 4:19 PM, Cruise Raider said:

Some people I know love those cabins but only because those ones are hard of hearing or can sleep through anything.  I do better now since I've gotten a white noise machine.  Not sure how I would do in a cabin all the way forward, though.  I should try it on a short cruise as a trial.  

@Cruise Raider

try ear plugs for sleeping.   You’ll be really surprised at the difference.