Usb chargers

grandpa cruiser

Guest Snaxmuppet
24 minutes ago, grandpa cruiser said:

Sorry, I may have worded the question incorrectly.... I didn't mean do they provide chargers, I meant do they have the plugs.  I know some ships have them in the base of lamps.

Thanks again!

Don't you mean the sockets?

Edited by Snaxmuppet

The Caribbean Princess does not have USB outlets/plugs/sockets/connections in any of their cabin categories like some of her sister ships.  

Most of the cabins will have a set of two 110v power outlets:  One at the desk, the other might be found behind the television (some have one/some have 2).  

There will be multiple 220V: at the desk and for each lamp in the room.

Bring an adapter that has multiple outlets.  You will be able to plug the 220v lamp into one and an American plug into the other.  Most medical devices are dual voltage.  Most Anker products are dual voltage.  All Apple products are dual voltage.  I would not advise adding an extension cord to the adapter.   

There are many multiple outlet devices on the market.  As long as they are NOT surge protectors, you should be fine.  And/or bring an old fashion extension cord.

On my last cruise...it was rather challenging.

My sister took over the desk with her devices: 

Rechargeable hearing aids

iPhone

computer

wireless bluetooth headphones

Apple watch

I used the outlet behind the television with my multi-outlet Anker unit:

iphone

Apple watch

tablet

I used the 220v outlet behind the bed for my CPAP machine.

And you wonder why can't travel light !!

• Like 2

We *never* count on *any* travel location supplying USB sockets. We always bring an Anker multi-port charger with whatever adapters that will be needed. It is dual voltage (as most things are these days) so we only need to adapt the input cable. If we happen to run across USB sockets *that work* we just count it as an unexpected surprise!

• Like 1

There were none on the CB and on the Emerald which we just left after a 11 day cruise.  We bring our own multi-outlet charger.  Be aware that there are only two 110v outlets on the desk and they are spaced very close to each other so if you have a fat plug on your charger it may block the other 110v outlet.  There is a plug on the wall where the TV used to be mounted (on wall now) and one behind the bed (pull out bed to find).  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, satxdiver said:

Be aware that there are only two 110v outlets on the desk and they are spaced very close to each other so if you have a fat plug on your charger it may block the other 110v outlet. 

In a case like this I depend on one of my adapters to be able to use one of the 220 volt sockets. They are usually separated a bit from the 110 outlets...not always. 

Unfortunately, it really varies from ship to ship. I was on the Crown the last week of October and they started adding 220V and USB ports to each cabin. It was put in the top of the desk. The electrical outlets were by the phone and one behind the TV. 

QNIH5708.JPG

OIPD8613.JPG

@nasa1974 That is intriguing.  Thanks for sharing.  I know that the Apple charging block will convert 220V for power.  Maybe someone will be able to answer (and there are many out there) if you plug the charging cord in to the USB port and the other end to your device, will it blow up your device (I know...exaggeration).  

On 11/17/2023 at 8:22 PM, cr8tiv1 said:

@nasa1974 That is intriguing.  Thanks for sharing.  I know that the Apple charging block will convert 220V for power.  Maybe someone will be able to answer (and there are many out there) if you plug the charging cord in to the USB port and the other end to your device, will it blow up your device (I know...exaggeration).  

For most large electronics companies the cost of producing different voltage charging adapters isn’t worth the cost of shipping different ones depending on the country, so they just produce universal ones that can work anywhere.

USB has specific standards for the voltage/amperage of the output, and your device and the charger actually negotiate that on the fly so that your device isn’t damaged by whatever is being sent out by the charger. Really old chargers, and perhaps the $0.50 sketchy ones being sold outside a park in a third world country may not have the negotiation circuitry, but the old ones will send a pretty weak charge anyway, at least compared to modern chargers. The sketchy ones, who knows.

• Thanks 1