"Extreme" food allergies on RCI

fizzywm

Hi,

A lot of if you can get a table for MTD before 1845 comes down to how you approach the staff.

If you turn up at 1815 on day one and demand a table for 8 by the window now!, then you are going to be turned away - and I have seen this on numerous occasions and it gets heated. I won't comment on what guests behave like this as I am sure anyone who has cruised before and been in the queue should be able to guess!

Now the correct (or better) way is to go to the MTD desk upon boarding/once it opens on day one and ask nicely if you could have a table for say 1815ish and in any location. It also helps if there are 4 or less of you as trying to get a bigger table may not be possible.

The staff may tell you 1845 is the earliest, but I believe they are told to tell you that so you go away.

However, the staff on duty may know that some tables are available as they may have access to see that some 1730 guests may have booked Chops or something else that night.

Again, it all comes down to how you speak to the staff and has very little to do with your C&A status or what class of suite you are in. I have never used my status to get a table, I just explain that my wife is not well and I would appreciate it if we could get a table earlier so we can get to the 8pm show etc etc. 

I have been to the MTD on day one of every cruise I have been on and always managed to get a table. Sometimes I have been moved the following night to a table near by and then back again, but managed to keep the same waiters in the process (which is excellent) and never once complained about moving tables during the cruise. We have just accepted that they are doing us the favour and are happy to take whatever is given to us.

Now, if you can't do something like what we do, then best not turn up before 1845.

Also, by being there for 1815 each night you get to miss the start of the large queues that begin to build up whether you have a reservation or not as everyone just joins whichever queue is the shortest regardless of what the signs say which causes more trouble.

Mick.

Edited by Mick B
  • Like 1

On 11/14/2023 at 5:42 PM, fizzywm said:

I am sailing on Freedom of the Seas in just under 2 weeks. After I made my booking I was diagnosed with a gastric disease, and for the time being my diet is much more limited. The list of foods I can't have includes a lot of common herbs, spices, and seasonings like black pepper, oregano, basil, and rosemary. If I eat them it can trigger some really nasty symptoms, including uncontrollable vomiting. Nothing fatal, but for all intents and purposes I'm allergic to these foods right now. I find it difficult to eat out even in land based restaurants since black pepper is hidden in a lot of foods.

I've emailed foodallergies@rccl.com with the full list and asked them if they could accommodate me, but only received the auto response that the information was forwarded to the ship. I plan to bring printed copies of the full list and take one to the maitre d' on the first day and one each night at dinner. I was only able to book My Time Dining at 7:45 or 7:30. With my dining reservation being so late, if I decide to join the no reservation line and eat earlier, might it be a problem that I may not have the same table or servers?

I'm really worried it will be difficult to find things to eat, especially with the new menu apparently being more limited. I'm ok with simple things like pasta, even multiple nights in a row, but I know even that usually has oregano and basil. I guess my main question is has anyone recently sailed on RCI with food allergies beyond the standard stuff they're more used to dealing with (thinking of gluten, nuts, shellfish, dairy)? I'd love to know if the Windjammer might be an option for the nights I don't want to eat at 7:45, but I'm guessing it's mostly out of the question aside for salads and some of the bland sides like mashed potatoes. Thanks for any input.

If you search for and read through a few of the live threads from @CatLadyFemme, you'll find a wealth of information.  Her threads are great for how to deal with the crew and RC on food allergy issues.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Husky1987 said:

If you search for and read through a few of the live threads from @CatLadyFemme, you'll find a wealth of information.  Her threads are great for how to deal with the crew and RC on food allergy issues.

Thank you! Coincidentally, I ended up reading one of their threads the other day in a search for allergy info. It had a lot of great advice. Some stuff I didn't think of like (e.g.) asking the head waiter for something general like "a dessert with chocolate" for the next night if you are unable to eat the ones on the menu due to allergies. Thanks @Husky1987 and @CatLadyFemme!

1 hour ago, fizzywm said:

Thank you! Coincidentally, I ended up reading one of their threads the other day in a search for allergy info. It had a lot of great advice. Some stuff I didn't think of like (e.g.) asking the head waiter for something general like "a dessert with chocolate" for the next night if you are unable to eat the ones on the menu due to allergies. Thanks @Husky1987 and @CatLadyFemme!

Yeah, since my allergy combo is the dreaded "dessert" combo of dairy (kills regular desserts) and tree nuts (kills vegan desserts b/c tree nuts are almost always the dessert dairy replacement), I'm hoping that if I don't see any possible desserts, I can ask for a bag of plain potato chips or a scoop of (non-mango) sorbet.  Not sure either will be possible, but it can't hurt to ask so I don't just always end up with jello.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Yeah, since my allergy combo is the dreaded "dessert" combo of dairy (kills regular desserts) and tree nuts (kills vegan desserts b/c tree nuts are almost always the dessert dairy replacement), I'm hoping that if I don't see any possible desserts, I can ask for a bag of plain potato chips or a scoop of (non-mango) sorbet.  Not sure either will be possible, but it can't hurt to ask so I don't just always end up with jello.

I’m in a similar boat as a vegan by choice (so no dairy) and with my symptoms triggered by mango. For me no gelatin either 😅 If my cruise is before yours, I’ll let you know. I have a feeling they must at least have a sorbet you can eat.

Edited by fizzywm
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to update and say the staff on Freedom did a great job accommodating my restrictions. The first night they included something I couldn’t eat but were much more careful after that. They even made me a special lunch option to eat on Coco Cay, which I wasn’t expecting.

Thanks again for everyone’s tips and advice. This one from @travellovers2 was particularly helpful, as the head waiter ended up relying on the “can eat” list instead of the “can’t eat” one.

On 11/15/2023 at 6:11 PM, travellovers2 said:

In the WJ there are managers always standing around. You can stop any of them and they will get a chef to come out and talk to you. They will cook something for you that you choose from what they have available that day. Never had a problem and we're sailing on our 41st cruise next month. 

I decided to add the "safe to use" options on my list because before they would not use anything, just to be safe, now they can use the spices that are safe for me. 

• Like 1

On 11/16/2023 at 8:02 PM, TwoMisfits said:

On Freedom last week they had a strawberry sorbet that was pretty good. There was a vegan ice cream (No Bull brand, Vanilla flavor) and the ingredients may be safe for you, but when I looked just now it is produced on the same equipment that processes tree nuts. https://www.godairyfree.org/product-reviews/no-bull-ice-cream-dairy-free 

There were also vegan oat bars, the first night was peanut butter and the second night was a mixed berry one. I don’t think those had any other nuts. The last night they made me a vegan blueberry cobbler which had the cooked blueberries with dried oats on top. I’m not totally familiar with the tree nut restrictions but hopefully that gives you a better idea of what might be available on your ship. 

• Like 1

Just to help in the future, because I personally cannot have artificial sweeteners, there is a difference between being allergic to something and having a reaction to something.  I get a reaction which is severe muscle pain and headaches that last for days, but fortunately it's not life-threatening.

A true food allergy affects the immune system. Even small amounts of the offending food can trigger a range of symptoms, which can be severe or life-threatening. In contrast, a food intolerance often affects only the digestive system and causes less serious symptoms.

It's important that they know what is life threatening to you.  Some lines will actually let you choose your menu the night prior so that they can prepare your food based on your needs.  I hope you are able to work everything out.

Of course carry an epi-pen.  I would stick to very bland foods- might be difficult, but not impossible.  I have a niece that has horrible allergies to many foods- Peanuts can be fatal.

Difficult for her to travel- both parents are physicians.  She manages  I am sure you will be fine.  Avoid buffets.  So much potential cross contamination.

Edited by Cruise a holic

We just got off Voyager.  When we got on we went immediately to My Time Dining and told them my reservations were way too late for us.  He asked if either of us had allergies and I do.  Seafood.  He asked if we wanted to sit with others or a table by ourselves.  My husband said the last two cruises we sat with others there were fights at the table between others and we would prefer not to do that again!  We were given a table for two when MYD opened with the same waiters.  They were great.