Oceania: cancelling, arguing, disappointments and disgust

mybagsarepacked

5 minutes ago, Vallesan said:

Yes I have looked at Azamara in the past. On the R class ships we like the PH for the size of the bathroom especially. I found the equivalent on Azamara was more expensive. We have sailed on the Regatta, the Nautica a few times and the Sirena several times. I would only choose the Sirena now if we wanted a small ship because it has Red Ginger. I must admit we were on the Riviera last year for the first time in quite a few years and I think I’m leaning more towards the larger ships now. We don’t need a PH on the larger ships and I like the extra restaurants.

But I do think the Riviera is the largest ship I would consider.

Exactly our sentiment.

The only issue is that for the price of PH on Azamara, I can book SB and get an all inclusive experience and larger cabin. PH prices on the R ships (both Azamara and Oceania) don't make sense to me.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Exactly our sentiment.

The only issue is that for the price of PH on Azamara, I can book SB and get an all inclusive experience and larger cabin. PH prices on the R ships (both Azamara and Oceania) don't make sense to me.

Yes I agree.

We have just booked a Mediterranean SB because it was better value than either Oceania or Silversea.

We sailed SB in September, first post covid with them, and I rather liked the slightly more laid back atmosphere. They’ve relaxed the dress code a little and it was more like Oceania, well maybe “O” on steroids! Brilliant service second to none, and the food was quite good too.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Vallesan said:

Yes I agree.

We have just booked a Mediterranean SB because it was better value than either Oceania or Silversea.

We sailed SB in September, first post covid with them, and I rather liked the slightly more laid back atmosphere. They’ve relaxed the dress code a little and it was more like Oceania, well maybe “O” on steroids! Brilliant service second to none, and the food was quite good too.

Which cruise did you book if you don't mind?

2 hours ago, ak1004 said:

I don't care about the line business model. I care about the value that I GET. After sailing on 12 different lines, we won't go back to Celebrity or other big ship. Sailing on small ships provides a completely different experience, and I won't compromise it just to punish a cruise line.

My concern is  with the current management in place with Oceania, and their recent responses - or non responses, to their  passengers/customers. It concerns me how we might be treated should further escalation and port changes be required. For me, that’s not about punishing a cruise line. That is looking to do business with a company who does right by their customers and feeling comfortable that will occur. At this point, The current management team at Oceania has not, IMO,  acted in good faith,  nor convinced me that they will. 

• Like 9

22 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

My concern is  with the current management in place with Oceania, and their recent responses - or non responses, to their  passengers/customers. It concerns me how we might be treated should further escalation and port changes be required. For me, that’s not about punishing a cruise line. That is looking to do business with a company who does right by their customers and feeling comfortable that will occur. At this point, The current management team at Oceania has not, IMO,  acted in good faith,  nor convinced me that they will. 

I agree with you. That said, many lines have a huge disconnect between their customer service and on board experience. We had a very bad experience with Silversea air department - but it doesn't mean we will stop sailing on SS.

Also, we don't have full information about what is happening. Many guests report only partial information. Some guests don't even bother to read their invoices and don't know what the cancellation policy is (some are not aware about the recent change of $150 cancellation penalty). So I would not trust 100% everything that you read.

• Like 7

7 hours ago, cruisingxpert said:

When you got the FCC did you get OBC on the cruise you were on at that time?  Last year, O was offering $300 obc on your current cruise or the cruise you were booking for..  If that happened , there might be no refund  because of the $300 being applied to that cruise.

Very good point.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, mybagsarepacked said:

Actually, we were booked on a Celebrity Cruise and they had to change the embarkation port at the last minute. It threw a lot of people for a loop because they did it three days before our departure and we were originally scheduled to leave from Sydney. Like many people we had planned to go in early and Celebrity gave people the option of cancelling outright for a full refund including airfare and early hotels, they also gave an additional cruise credit on top of the one we cancelled.  They were amazing to all of us. They did not have to do anything and they bent over backwards to ensure we were all happy. We rebooked two cruises with them and had a fabulous time. 

𝘛𝘩𝘢𝘵 is Customer Service at its finest.

I get your frustration and disappointment with Oceania but the cold truth is that Celebrity is owned by RCL and they have a profit.  Oceania on the other hand is owned by NCLH and they are losing money.  NCLH just last week slashed their full-year outlook. 

IMO it's less about customer service and more about cash on hand to offer refunds. 

18 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

I agree with you. That said, many lines have a huge disconnect between their customer service and on board experience. We had a very bad experience with Silversea air department - but it doesn't mean we will stop sailing on SS.

Also, we don't have full information about what is happening. Many guests report only partial information. Some guests don't even bother to read their invoices and don't know what the cancellation policy is (some are not aware about the recent change of $150 cancellation penalty). So I would not trust 100% everything that you read.

I agree with you on this specific thread. If the original deposit was in fact made known, up front, as to be non refundable. If that were the case, and I wanted to still sail with Oceania, I would try to see if it could be moved to a different sailing. If it was originally known to be non refundable, and OP just doesn’t want to sail again with them (because of treatment on other cruise where FCC was rescinded) then that is a hard point to argue. That said, had that happened to me, I would not want to sail with them. We had a bad experience with Viking’s air, and we sailed again with them. The rescinded FCC offer was just flat unethical of Oceania. On that part, we do have the full information, and it was in no way the right thing for Oceania to do. 

5 minutes ago, sunlover12 said:

I get your frustration and disappointment with Oceania but the cold truth is that Celebrity is owned by RCL and they have a profit.  Oceania on the other hand is owned by NCLH and they are losing money.  NCLH just last week slashed their full-year outlook. 

IMO it's less about customer service and more about cash on hand to offer refunds. 

If that’s the case, maybe it’s yet another argument to be weary. IDK 

5 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

My two biggest priorities for cruises are small ship and itinerary. For those who don't necessarily sail in premium categories, Azamara is also an attractive option and is probably my go-to right now.

IIRC a 'few' years ago I read that Azamara did a post-dinner excursion to Ephesus for a musical program. I was REALLY impressed!

6 hours ago, Harry Lake said:

IIRC a 'few' years ago I read that Azamara did a post-dinner excursion to Ephesus for a musical program. I was REALLY impressed!

Azamara still does this as a complimentary "Azamazing" evening.  I was there this September and the classical music in the Odeon of Ephesus was magnificent.  Regards, Paul

IMG_3867.JPG

IMG_3869.JPG

IMG_3876.JPG

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Harry Lake said:

My recent cruise was a B2B on Azamara. On one leg we had a special evening event in Dubrovnik involving both folk dances and modern dance; on the second leg, in Thessaloniki, we had an amazing symphonic and choral event about Alexander the Great.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 11/15/2023 at 7:55 AM, mybagsarepacked said:

Actually, we were booked on a Celebrity Cruise and they had to change the embarkation port at the last minute. It threw a lot of people for a loop because they did it three days before our departure and we were originally scheduled to leave from Sydney. Like many people we had planned to go in early and Celebrity gave people the option of cancelling outright for a full refund including airfare and early hotels, they also gave an additional cruise credit on top of the one we cancelled.  They were amazing to all of us. They did not have to do anything and they bent over backwards to ensure we were all happy. We rebooked two cruises with them and had a fabulous time. 

𝘛𝘩𝘢𝘵 is Customer Service at its finest.

Probably why they fired their President Lisa Lutoff Perlo..

Jancruz1

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

My recent cruise was a B2B on Azamara. On one leg we had a special evening event in Dubrovnik involving both folk dances and modern dance; on the second leg, in Thessaloniki, we had an amazing symphonic and choral event about Alexander the Great.

Look for changes they also have a new president although I like her very much!!

Jancruz1

4 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

Well, the changes at Celerity led me to Oceania, but having to now pay for their excursions is leaving me open to many other cruise lines...TBD

Good luck.. just be careful, you might run out of cruise lines..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Explora is going to give O and A a run for their money opening up more options.  They are the most cash flushed cruise line out there as they are one of the oldest major shipping lines around.  My guess is that they will expand rapidly and be a major player in luxury cruising in the next five years just like MSC did in mass market cruising.