Travelling to US via YYZ on Nexus card. It’s been awhile..Any changes??

Travelexpert35

I haven’t travelled since 2020 so was wondering if there are any changes with the Nexus machines in YYZ. It seemed they were always down or not working at times. My friend travelling with me doesn’t have Nexus so she’ll be going through the regular line. Will be travelling in a couple of weeks. 

2 hours ago, Travelexpert35 said:

I haven’t travelled since 2020 so was wondering if there are any changes with the Nexus machines in YYZ. It seemed they were always down or not working at times. My friend travelling with me doesn’t have Nexus so she’ll be going through the regular line. Will be travelling in a couple of weeks. 

Can't speak to YYZ but at YUL the NEXUS machines can also be hit and miss. The last time we flew back home, the machines were pretty much all dysfunctional, so we just walked up to the CBSA agent and handed him our NEXUS cards when we couldn't get the machine to recognize us. They are quite used to the machines being down and they have a special form they use to "manually" process passengers. We were through him and gone in about the same amount of time as if the machines were working. Other times the machines have worked fine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lx200gps said:

Can't speak to YYZ but at YUL the NEXUS machines can also be hit and miss. The last time we flew back home, the machines were pretty much all dysfunctional, so we just walked up to the CBSA agent and handed him our NEXUS cards when we couldn't get the machine to recognize us. They are quite used to the machines being down and they have a special form they use to "manually" process passengers. We were through him and gone in about the same amount of time as if the machines were working. Other times the machines have worked fine.

Same at YYZ the last time we were through, which was in June. 

• Like 1

Biggest change if you haven't been through in a while is the kiosks used to enter the US have shifted to using facial recognition. All you do is stand in front of it and it takes a photo of you - may have to hit the start button, but other than that no answering questions, no inserting the card or passport, etc

The Canadian kiosks, in constrast, will require you to scan your Nexus card, and if its the first time you've used them since they upgraded from iris scans, you'll have to scan your passport as well so have both accessible. 

Edited by cmich068
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, cmich068 said:

Biggest change if you haven't been through in a while is the kiosks used to enter the US have shifted to using facial recognition. All you do is stand in front of it and it takes a photo of you - may have to hit the start button, but other than that no answering questions, no inserting the card or passport, etc

The Canadian kiosks, in constrast, will require you to scan your Nexus card, and if its the first time you've used them since they upgraded from iris scans, you'll have to scan your passport as well so have both accessible. 

Thanks for the info. I hated those iris scans as it was so finicky. You had to keep adjusting it. I remember using my fingerprints on the scan as well. 

Looking forward to my trip in a couple of weeks. It’s been too long.