Cruise ship ports...need advice for private tours

Katemusical

Hi everyone!

I am so excited to spend my 50th birthday on the Explorer of the Seas in June with friends and my hubby... NO KIDS!!!!! WHOO HOO!!!

We are stopping in Athens, Mykonos, Santorini, and Olympia.

I have always appreciated and used the advice of the Cruise Critic community for our other cruises.

What private tour companies have you used in these ports for sightseeing? I have read through many postings but was wondering about the most recent.

Thank you in advance!

@Katemusical

The best reviewed agencies for Athens are George's Taxi and PK Travel.  They are both local Greek companies with an excellent track record going back many years. They may also provide services on some of your other ports.  Since they are both local Greek companies, you deal with them directly. Italy Tours and Viator are consolidators who will contract with local operators.

https://www.georgestaxi.com/

https://www.pktravelgreece.com/

Edited by marazul

1 hour ago, Alatraveler1 said:

ItalyTours.eu seems to be very popular and used by a lot of Cruise Critic Users.  We are using them for three ports next year while on the NCL Epic.  They do have a couple options for Athens that look really good! 

Don't think they operate in Greece.

5 hours ago, Alatraveler1 said:

ItalyTours.eu seems to be very popular and used by a lot of Cruise Critic Users.  We are using them for three ports next year while on the NCL Epic.  They do have a couple options for Athens that look really good! 

This is great for when we are in Rome and Venice areas to see if they have tours we like.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, marazul said:

@Katemusical

The best reviewed agencies for Athens are George's Taxi and PK Travel.  They are both local Greek companies with an excellent track record going back many years. They may also provide services on some of your other ports.  Since they are both local Greek companies, you deal with them directly. Italy Tours and Viator are consolidators who will contract with local operators.

https://www.georgestaxi.com/

https://www.pktravelgreece.com/

I read about PK Travel. Thank you. I will do my research.

We took a two-day tour of Athens with Onoufrios Dovletis.  I can highly recommend him.

He is a licensed guide who can accompany you onto the sites. 

Onoufrios is extremely knowledgeable about the history, culture and literature of his country.  He is able to clearly communicate all that he knows in a compelling and informative manner.

His website address is athens-tour-guide.net

Edited by Mrs. Claypool

On 11/20/2023 at 11:08 AM, Mrs. Claypool said:

We took a two-day tour of Athens with Onoufrios Dovletis.  I can highly recommend him.

He is a licensed guide who can accompany you onto the sites. 

Onoufrios is extremely knowledgeable about the history, culture and literature of his country.  He is able to clearly communicate all that he knows in a compelling and informative manner.

His website address is athens-tour-guide.net

I looked at the website and it says "walking".  Having been in Athens before and taking a private car is this tour all walking? 

Where the various sites were close to each other, we walked from one to another.  When the distance was not walkable, we took a cab or public transport.

So it was not “all” walking, but quite a bit.  However, we stopped to recharge our batteries at various cafes whenever we needed a break.  We are in our mid-70’s and it was quite do-able.  But wear comfortable shoes.