Silver Moon sailing January 6

gypsyjennifer1

I asked my TA to call to see what SS would say about the changes since I am scheduled to disembark in Aqaba on January 6th.  SS said my cruise has no changes to the disembarkation (my cruise will end in Jordan), and they are not offering any SBC or FCC for my cruise.  However, SS told her they are making an offer on a different cruise.  My TA didn't find out which different cruise because it wasn't relevant to me.

I feel fortunate - my reason for booking the trip was to transit the Suez Canal and to visit Saudi Arabia.  Aside from our disembarkation port, those are the ONLY other two things that haven't changed on my trip.  I'm also relieved I don't have to figure out an alternate business class air itinerary from Muscat less than one month before departure.

I think the question as to whether or not the Silver Moon will depart from Aqaba on January 6th has been answered.  It will.

Edited by temerarious
clarification

Finally got a Commnication from Silversea early this morning. See the entirety of it below:

Dear Esteemed Guest, 

We hope this letter finds you well. Today, we are writing with important news regarding your 06 January 2024 voyage aboard Silver Moon.  

First and foremost, please know the safety and security of our guests and crew are always our top priority. Our global security team continues to closely monitor and respond to the evolving crisis in Israel and the surrounding region. As such, we will not be visiting Egypt during your voyage.  In light of this update, our call in Muscat has been extended to include an overnight stay and we have reshuffled the order of the ports to visit.

You can visit your MySilversea account in the coming days to explore and confirm shore excursions in Muscat. For your ease of reference, links to both the revised itinerary and original schedule are shared below:   

Date

Day

Port

Country

Arrival

Departure

6-Jan-24

Sat

AQABA (Petra)

Jordan

19:00

7-Jan-24

Sun

Day at sea

At sea

8-Jan-24

Mon

Yanbu

Saudi Arabia

8:00

18:00

9-Jan-24

Tue

Jeddah

Saudi Arabia

18:00

10-Jan-24

Wed

Day at sea

At sea

11-Jan-24

Thu

Day at sea

At sea

12-Jan-24

Fri

Day at sea

At sea

13-Jan-24

Sat

Salalah

Oman

17:00

14-Jan-24

Sun

Day at sea

At sea

15-Jan-24

Mon

Muscat

Oman

9:00

16-Jan-24

Tue

MUSCAT

Oman

Thank you for your understanding of the circumstances beyond our control that necessitated these changes to your voyage. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to contact your travel advisor or cruise consultant. 

Best personal regards,  

Silversea

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cbachell said:

Finally got a Commnication from Silversea early this morning. See the entirety of it below:

First and foremost, please know the safety and security of our guests and crew are always our top priority. Our global security team continues to closely monitor and respond to the evolving crisis in Israel and the surrounding region.

Appreciate these follow-ups and glad that "things" are getting finalized and communicated.  In looking at this schedule, the most "interesting" two days will be January 11-12 when navigating in the southern part of the Red Sea and into the Gulf of Aden

Lots of questions as to what the rebels in Yemen might be doing at that time with the various weapon and materials from Iran towards shipping, military ships, etc., in this challenged area of the world.  Good luck with this sailing!!

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

PS: For the Suez Canal, having done it in 2018 and the Panama Canal earlier, the Egypt version is unique, but not quite as fascinating.  The locks and engineering required in Panama were very fascinating.  Lots to see on both sides of the Suez Canal, but not quite the same thing as in Panama.  Significant history at both locations. 

• Like 1

From the Associated Press/AP newswire four days ago, they had this headline: Who are the Houthis and why hasn’t the US retaliated for their attacks on ships in the Middle East? with these highlights:When Iranian-backed Houthi rebels in Yemen launched missiles and hit three commercial ships in the southern Red Sea last weekend, it triggered an immediate question: Will the U.S. military strike back?  The Houthis have sharply escalated their attacks against ships as they sail toward the narrow Bab el-Mandeb Strait. And U.S. Navy ships have shot down an array of drones headed their way.  But so far, the U.S. has avoided military retaliation.

Many details are offered about these rebels and this challenged areas of the world. This detailed story highlights that there is a "delicate balance" as to what is done with and against these Houthis rebels and their actions against ship in this very narrow Bab el-Mandeb Strait that the Silver Moon and other cruise ships will need to navigate.   This background also includes: "The U.S. has consistently said it wants to protect free navigation of the seas. But the Houthi actions have prompted the International Maritime Security Construct to issue a warning for ships transiting the Red Sea and Bab el-Mandeb. It says ships should choose routes as far from Yemeni waters as possible, travel at night and not stop, because that makes them an easier target."

Full story at:

https://apnews.com/article/yemen-attacks-iran-ships-retaliation-15d10ed74c7f3cc7fd36fa0f77f73e54

From late 2018, see “Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East. Now at 22,219 views.  Connect at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

15 minutes ago, TLCOhio said:

From the Associated Press/AP newswire four days ago, they had this headline: Who are the Houthis and why hasn’t the US retaliated for their attacks on ships in the Middle East? with these highlights:When Iranian-backed Houthi rebels in Yemen launched missiles and hit three commercial ships in the southern Red Sea last weekend, it triggered an immediate question: Will the U.S. military strike back?  The Houthis have sharply escalated their attacks against ships as they sail toward the narrow Bab el-Mandeb Strait. And U.S. Navy ships have shot down an array of drones headed their way.  But so far, the U.S. has avoided military retaliation.

Many details are offered about these rebels and this challenged areas of the world. This detailed story highlights that there is a "delicate balance" as to what is done with and against these Houthis rebels and their actions against ship in this very narrow Bab el-Mandeb Strait that the Silver Moon and other cruise ships will need to navigate.   This background also includes: "The U.S. has consistently said it wants to protect free navigation of the seas. But the Houthi actions have prompted the International Maritime Security Construct to issue a warning for ships transiting the Red Sea and Bab el-Mandeb. It says ships should choose routes as far from Yemeni waters as possible, travel at night and not stop, because that makes them an easier target."

Full story at:

https://apnews.com/article/yemen-attacks-iran-ships-retaliation-15d10ed74c7f3cc7fd36fa0f77f73e54

From late 2018, see “Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East. Now at 22,219 views.  Connect at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

Do you know if there are other ships currently scheduled to go through the Aden at the same time as the Moon?

23 minutes ago, Skyhigh said:

Do you know if there are other ships currently scheduled to go through the Aden at the same time as the Moon?

Great question.  I am sure that there are many other ships going up and down the Red Sea, doing the Suez Canal, navigating the Gulf of Aden, etc.  Are you thinking of what other cruise ships are needing to go through the narrow Bab el-Mandeb?

That strategic passage way is about 26 kilometers (16 miles) from Ras Menheli in Yemen to Ras Siyyan in Djibouti, per Wikipedia.  It is a key transit point for a massive amount of oil and gas ships supplying Europe, etc.  It is interestingly called the "Gate of Grief".  Also noted, is that this key location is a priority for global energy security and that at its narrowest point, tanker traffic has two different, two-mile-wide channels for inbound and outbound shipments.

I do not know of a website that gives detailed times, in advance, for when various ships will be scheduled for passage.  There are real-time website giving current locations.  Given all of the tensions and risks for this region, I would assume that type of advanced timings would be protected for legitimate security reasons.  

From the AP article noting that doing this passage at night is safer will make it more "interesting" for those on the Silver Moon January 11-12.  

thankfully now we have clarity.  I gave my Jordan Pass, and other visas.  and I look forward to do the 20 day cruise from Aqaba.  I will be traveling solo as my travel companion opted out due to safety issues.  But I am looking forward to this trip.  Any others on this site who would like to get together on day one would be lovely.  Happy hour, 6 pm ??

"no word" from SS means that there have been no changes, which is what they will tell you when they call.  It would have been great to get a notice addressing the security concerns, but then that would rile up anybody who for whatever reason wasn't already concerned , specifically because SS hasn't reached out to them. 

I am a solo traveler on the January 6 Aqaba to Dubai Silver Moon cruise and am very much looking forward to an amazing adventure, wherever we go. To the many friends who think I am crazy to be doing this, I respond that my suite is on the starboard side so I only have to worry about Somalian pirates, etc. 😉

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Maplestar said:

I am a solo traveler on the January 6 Aqaba to Dubai Silver Moon cruise and am very much looking forward to an amazing adventure, wherever we go. To the many friends who think I am crazy to be doing this, I respond that my suite is on the starboard side so I only have to worry about Somalian pirates, etc. 😉

Appreciate these various updates and the interesting follow-ups.  Not sure being on the starboard side guarantees only worrying about Somalian pirates. If I understand correctly, those Yemen rebels have drones that could be navigated to impact on either side of a ship.

Hopefully nothing negative happens and that all goes well, people stay safe and are totally secure.  Keep us posted as to how things progress, what ship officials have to say you approach the key Jan. 11-12 period when navigating around and through that narrow passage near Yemen.   

1 minute ago, TLCOhio said:

Appreciate these various updates and the interesting follow-ups.  Not sure being on the starboard side guarantees only worrying about Somalian pirates. If I understand correctly, those Yemen rebels have drones that could be navigated to impact on either side of a ship.

Hopefully nothing negative happens and that all goes well, people stay safe and are totally secure.  Keep us posted as to how things progress, what ship officials have to say you approach the key Jan. 11-12 period when navigating around and through that narrow passage near Yemen.   

The winking emoji was meant to convey that my comment was tongue in cheek!

17 minutes ago, Maplestar said:

The winking emoji was meant to convey that my comment was tongue in cheek!

YES!  Great, correct sense of humor.  Unfortunately, my aging eyes did not quite see that "little image detail" with such a small emoji.  Appreciate the helpful, educational clarification to those of us whose eyes miss such little visual images.  

We have already been sent changes to our May 2025 cruise. We were sailing from Singapore to Athens on the Muse.

Now sailing Singapore to Doha arriving 2 days earlier but the Doha to Athens segment leaves 4 days later than originally scheduled.

So we have 6 days in Doha.

Methinks this has nothing to do with the current problems but has been done to make a 6 day charter possible.

I will suggest that they should put us up in a suitable luxury hotel at no charge.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, gypsyjennifer1 said:

Silver Moon is on its way to Aqaba, just left Athens 

https://www.cruisemapper.com/?imo=9838618

Appreciate this helpful link and follow-up.  The Silver Moon is now at Crete, per this site's below map.  Will be following the Silver Moon with interest, especially for Jan. 11-12 as they need to navigate through the southern Red Sea territory near Yemen.  

image.png.1e7165066e1003207a8238b0c7d8fb2c.png

• Like 1

On 12/21/2023 at 5:48 PM, Jaco2 said:

Cruising from Aqaba to Dubai Almost Two weeks before departure and no world from SS …. First and last time with SS. They should stop this game and issue a full refund! 

Sorry Jaco2 but if you didnt ask to cancel and have a refund then you have a cruise coming up for which you have paid and which, apparently Silversea is going to provide.  This isnt a game or maybe you have been playing it as a game, who knows?

• Like 1

I phones SS again today and spoke to a Supervisor asking how SS will keep us safe, and the lady said Ss is still confident going thru the area and have been OK going thru the Red Sea even after the war and expect no changes and we will be notified if any changes.  Well that is feeling really great as a lot of us have committed to airfares and tours and we can get to Aqaba and ??

I cruised down the west coast of Africa with armed commandos on board, all lights out, water gums etc and probably a lot more guns onboard due to piracy.  I have done a lot of  risky travels in my 50 years of travels.  this trip is just another travel issue which I did not initially want, but will deal with.  I could walk out of my home and get hit by a car or a mass shooting.  Life is to be lived and not in fear and that is my own personal opinion.  Dont need comment about my opinions please. After again talking to SS they have my safety on the ship.

• Like 2