Silver Moon sailing January 6

gypsyjennifer1

It’s a clear failure on the part of SS to explain what is going on . They continue to post a cruise for sale in 6 weeks that they know is not going. They give us till 12/8 to decide on something they have not told us what to decide on . No answer yet on a refund for the pre trip that was cancelled . Right,  insurance will not pay. . At least our business class tix can be cancelled .  Amateur hour for a self proclaimed bespoke line 

On 11/22/2023 at 2:43 AM, Easterncommand said:

Hi All,

Whilst I am not on this cruise but the 22/12/2023, I have been following this tread with interest. We have just received this morning 22/11/2023 our final cruise document from Silversea via our TA, this is showing that the cruise is disembarking in Aqaba. This does not help alleviate everyone’s concerns as it would appear that the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing. 

ElectronicTicket_237940-23.pdf 329.87 kB · 36 downloads

It will be interesting to know if now after 22 Nov cut off date for your cruise to get at least 25% refund of before 30 day sailing to get any sort of refund if SS will notify you of any itinerary changes. It seems weird that 06 January your disembarkation is Aqaba and our embarking  in Muscat on 06 Jan for next cruise. . It’s really disturbing we cannot get clear answers from SS

9 hours ago, gypsyjennifer1 said:

It will be interesting to know if now after 22 Nov cut off date for your cruise to get at least 25% refund of before 30 day sailing to get any sort of refund if SS will notify you of any itinerary changes. It seems weird that 06 January your disembarkation is Aqaba and our embarking  in Muscat on 06 Jan for next cruise. . It’s really disturbing we cannot get clear answers from SS

Hopefully by Dec. 1 and/or the end of this coming week, there will be BOTH "clarity" and compassion as to how Silversea manages this challenging situation.  Normally, they do not like to give full refunds, but hopefully they will give not only future cruise credit AND throw in some added bonus compensation to make up for these late schedule changes.  

As of this morning, the Silversea website still shows schedules not being updated.  Good luck to all involved.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

• Like 1

I talked to SS yesterday and learned a few things , the emails we were supposed to receive with more details still have not been sent . There is no info yet about muscat to Dubai stops . There is no info on a refund for the cancellation  for  the pre trip in Jordon and to me it’s  unclear is we can even cancel to get FCC  . SS holding all the cards 

On 11/25/2023 at 10:48 AM, Kauaijim said:

I talked to SS yesterday and learned a few things , the emails we were supposed to receive with more details still have not been sent . There is no info yet about muscat to Dubai stops . There is no info on a refund for the cancellation  for  the pre trip in Jordon and to me it’s  unclear is we can even cancel to get FCC  . SS holding all the cards 

Appreciate these follow-ups and details about this frustrating situation.  Keep us posted as you, hopefully soon, get more specific information and some reasonable accommodations by Silversea.    

From the New York Times this morning, they had this headline: U.S. Navy Rescues Ship From Pirate Attack in Gulf of Aden" with this sub-headline:  "The United States is investigating whether Iran was involved in the incident. Hours after the attack, two missiles were fired at the Navy ship involved in the rescue.

Here are more of their reporting highlights:The U.S. Navy intervened to stop the hijacking of a commercial cargo ship by pirates in the Gulf of Aden near Somalia on Sunday, after which two ballistic missiles were fired from Yemen toward the Navy destroyer that responded to the incident, the U.S. military said.   The ballistic missiles were fired from the part of Yemen controlled by Iranian-backed Houthi rebels, according to a statement released by U.S. Central Command.

Having traveled in 2018 on a cruise ship near and around Somalia and the Gulf of Aden, I know that passage is full of risks.  Even in good, near normal times!!!  Now, things are even much, much more challenged.  Sadly.  

Between the Suez Canal transiting and this area near Somalia, I continue to view that Silversea wants to minimize the risks and dangers for sailing in these questionable areas.  Reactions, speculation?

Full story at:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/26/world/middleeast/pirates-central-park-aden-navy.html

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 249,499 views.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1172051-livesilver-cloud-norway-coastfjords-july-1-16-reports/

6 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

Appreciate these follow-ups and details about this frustrating situation.  Keep us posted as you, hopefully soon, get more specific information and some reasonable accommodations by Silversea.    

From the New York Times this morning, they had this headline: U.S. Navy Rescues Ship From Pirate Attack in Gulf of Aden" with this sub-headline:  "The United States is investigating whether Iran was involved in the incident. Hours after the attack, two missiles were fired at the Navy ship involved in the rescue.

Here are more of their reporting highlights:The U.S. Navy intervened to stop the hijacking of a commercial cargo ship by pirates in the Gulf of Aden near Somalia on Sunday, after which two ballistic missiles were fired from Yemen toward the Navy destroyer that responded to the incident, the U.S. military said.   The ballistic missiles were fired from the part of Yemen controlled by Iranian-backed Houthi rebels, according to a statement released by U.S. Central Command.

Having traveled in 2018 on a cruise ship near and around Somalia and the Gulf of Aden, I know that passage is full of risks.  Even in good, near normal times!!!  Now, things are even much, much more challenged.  Sadly.  

Between the Suez Canal transiting and this area near Somalia, I continue to view that Silversea wants to minimize the risks and dangers for sailing in these questionable areas.  Reactions, speculation?

Full story at:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/26/world/middleeast/pirates-central-park-aden-navy.html

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 249,499 views.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1172051-livesilver-cloud-norway-coastfjords-july-1-16-reports/

I asked my TA to call Silversea for the 10 day from Petra on Jan 6.  She says that the itinerary has not changed. 

25 minutes ago, Skyhigh said:

I asked my TA to call Silversea for the 10 day from Petra on Jan 6.  She says that the itinerary has not changed. 

Truly amazing the SS rep i talked to says our 1/6 trip now leaves from Muscat and had an itinerary for the trip round trip to Muscat .  Basically duplicating the last leg to Dubai. The next leg is a mystery it seems unless the duplicate stops which I'm sure no one wants 

On 11/27/2023 at 5:19 PM, Kauaijim said:

Truly amazing the SS rep i talked to says our 1/6 trip now leaves from Muscat and had an itinerary for the trip round trip to Muscat .  Basically duplicating the last leg to Dubai. The next leg is a mystery it seems unless the duplicate stops which I'm sure no one wants 

Anything new to update for the Jan. 6, 2023, Silver Moon sailing?  What is Silversea offering and how are they adjusting schedules?  

For the Jan. 26-Feb. 11 Silver Moon sailing, I have seen a copy of the letter/email sent out by Silversea CEO  Barbara Muckermann.  In part it notes: "For the ease and comfort of our guests based on limited air flight inventory through the city of Aqaba, we will now be embarking our voyage in Dubai, UAE. As a result of this change, we have revised our itinerary to create a more immersive discovery of the Persian Gulf region with far fewer days at sea and featuring extended guest experiences."

Now sure how much of the air inventory for Aqaba is a recently changed factor.  More time in Abu Dhabi, Oman, etc., might be of interest to some.  In 2018, we super enjoyed both Abu Dhabi and Oman.  Dubai was interesting to us, but a little "over the top" in certain ways.  Oman and Abu Dhabi were more fascinating for our interests and style.  

In her letter they offer various options and incentives for those keeping with this adjusted sailing.  Or, options to switch with future cruise credits for other/later sailings.  They also indicated that they offer a full cash refund for those choosing this option.  

Understand the frustrations with those being subjected to these late changes and the lack of sooner/better communications from Silversea.  Also, with the complications/costs as to air flights, insurance, pre-cruise tours booked, etc.  

Appreciate to be hearing how the late December 2023 and early January 2024 Silver Moon schedules will be adjusted.  

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 246,637 views.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1896175-solstice-live-australianzhawaii-many-pix’s-jan-20-feb-3/

5 minutes ago, TLCOhio said:

Anything new to update for the Jan. 6, 2023, Silver Moon sailing?  What is Silversea offering and how are they adjusting schedules?  

For the Jan. 26-Feb. 11 Silver Moon sailing, I have seen a copy of the letter/email sent out by Silversea CEO  Barbara Muckermann.  In part it notes: "For the ease and comfort of our guests based on limited air flight inventory through the city of Aqaba, we will now be embarking our voyage in Dubai, UAE. As a result of this change, we have revised our itinerary to create a more immersive discovery of the Persian Gulf region with far fewer days at sea and featuring extended guest experiences."

Now sure how much of the air inventory for Aqaba is a recently changed factor.  More time in Abu Dhabi, Oman, etc., might be of interest to some.  In 2018, we super enjoyed both Abu Dhabi and Oman.  Dubai was interesting to us, but a little "over the top" in certain ways.  Oman and Abu Dhabi were more fascinating for our interests and style.  

In her letter they offer various options and incentives for those keeping with this adjusted sailing.  Or, options to switch with future cruise credits for other/later sailings.  They also indicated that they offer a full cash refund for those choosing this option.  

Understand the frustrations with those being subjected to these late changes and the lack of sooner/better communications from Silversea.  Also, with the complications/costs as to air flights, insurance, pre-cruise tours booked, etc.  

Appreciate to be hearing how the late December 2023 and early January 2024 Silver Moon schedules will be adjusted.  

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 246,637 views.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1896175-solstice-live-australianzhawaii-many-pix’s-jan-20-feb-3/

My travel agent called SS on Monday and Tuesday and still SS are denying any itinerary change for 06 January sailing. It's really upsetting as we cannot make any plans. I have already cancelled my pre cruise Jordan Tour and wont get any refund for the deposit. Airlines tickets cant be refunded etc 

2 minutes ago, gypsyjennifer1 said:

My travel agent called SS on Monday and Tuesday and still SS are denying any itinerary change for 06 January sailing. It's really upsetting as we cannot make any plans. I have already cancelled my pre cruise Jordan Tour and wont get any refund for the deposit. Airlines tickets cant be refunded etc 

I am not sure why your letter is mentioning Aqaba when your cruise of  Jan 26 is not even going to Aqaba ?????

• Like 1

It’s almost comical but sad on so many levels . We , , on the 1/6 trip have still have gotten no letter from SS. Our agent based on her chats with SS says 1/6 now leaves from muscat to muscat then continues with the same basic itinerary to Dubai . So duplicate cruises but no Saudi Egypt or Jordon . No refund only FCC offered but with a few catches I’m trying to sort out . I guess we will go somewhere on Ss Before we hurry back gladly to SB  

I have been following this with great interest because I am on the 12/22 - 1/6 cruise allegedly disembarking in Aqaba.  This will be my first cruise with SS.  My trip is just over 3 weeks out from departure (23 days), and I have heard nothing except what is posted on this thread.

What is interesting is that our current itinerary would have to be SIGNIFICANTLY modified (AGAIN) if this port change from Aqaba to Muscat is true. Our last stop prior to disembarkation is Yanbu, Ras Al Abyadh, Saudi Arabia on 1/4, however, we would need FOUR sea days to travel from there to Muscat.  If SS intends to keep Saudi Arabia on our itinerary (we currently have 3 days planned), our Suez Canal transit would have to be adjusted to an earlier date (it was already moved from Dec 28th to Dec 31st when they removed all of the Egyptian ports from the itinerary), OR there will only be 1 day available to stop in Saudi Arabia on the way to Muscat.  Either way, it's hard to believe that they have been planning this for over 2 weeks now without notifying any of the passengers on EITHER the 12/22 departure or the 1/6 departure of the change.

IF (big IF) they do end up making this change, the fact that they withheld this information from us for as long as they have is unconscionable.  This isn't like the situation where they have removed ports from the itinerary (Egypt) or substituted others (Greek Islands).  This will have a huge financial impact to those of us who have to adjust our flights, and every day that they delay communication makes the problem worse.  I'm dumbfounded this is even a possibility at this point in time...

Edited by temerarious
correction
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, temerarious said:

I have been following this with great interest because I am on the 12/22 - 1/6 cruise allegedly disembarking in Aqaba.  This will be my first cruise with SS.  My trip is just over 3 weeks out from departure (23 days), and I have heard nothing except what is posted on this thread.

What is interesting is that our current itinerary would have to be SIGNIFICANTLY modified (AGAIN) if this port change from Aqaba to Muscat is true. Our last stop prior to disembarkation is Yanbu, Ras Al Abyadh, Saudi Arabia on 1/4, however, we would need FOUR sea days to travel from there to Muscat.  If SS intends to keep Saudi Arabia on our itinerary (we currently have 3 days planned), our Suez Canal transit would have to be adjusted to an earlier date (it was already moved from Dec 28th to Dec 31st when they removed all of the Egyptian ports from the itinerary), OR there will only be 1 day available to stop in Saudi Arabia on the way to Muscat.  Either way, it's hard to believe that they have been planning this for over 2 weeks now without notifying any of the passengers on EITHER the 12/22 departure or the 1/6 departure of the change.

IF (big IF) they do end up making this change, the fact that they withheld this information from us for as long as they have is unconscionable.  This isn't like the situation where they have removed ports from the itinerary (Egypt) or substituted others (Greek Islands).  This will have a huge financial impact to those of us who have to adjust our flights, and every day that they delay communication makes the problem worse.  I'm dumbfounded this is even a possibility at this point in time...

Do you have a Travel Agent

Just now, Mr Luxury said:

Do you have a Travel Agent

Yes - I reached out to her on 11/21 as soon I as was aware of this thread.  This was her response on 11/25:

I received your email about a potential change to your itinerary.

We have not received any information regarding a change. If there is ever a change we would notify you immediately.

I have however received your eticket. It is attached to this email. 

Per the eticket it still states you are disembarking in Jordan.

Hopefully this helps.

16 hours ago, Kauaijim said:

It’s almost comical but sad on so many levels . We , , on the 1/6 trip have still have gotten no letter from SS. Our agent based on her chats with SS says 1/6 now leaves from muscat to muscat then continues with the same basic itinerary to Dubai . So duplicate cruises but no Saudi Egypt or Jordon . No refund only FCC offered but with a few catches I’m trying to sort out . I guess we will go somewhere on Ss Before we hurry back gladly to SB  

@Kauaijim  I'm on the 1/6 and just yesterday ss again told my agent no changes were planned     1/6 leaving aquaba as planned to muscat.   

Was wondering   Is there something like an email or writing or a new itinerary on your booking from SS that  you have re this new itinerary and offers and catches you are considering ?  Or was this just verbal via your agent.  

We are still under the Dec 8 deadline. SS Says by 1/2 they will have the itinerary for the last leg Muscat to Dubai . Not acceptable so we will take the credit and 10% thank you,  for a cruise in 25 . This itinerary is not offered in 25 . They were not amused when I asked if credit could be switched to SB . They will not refund the land portion which was totally canceled, only credit . .pricing is high in 25 I’m trading a silver suite for 20 days for a veranda . Good luck to all navigating this unfortunate situation. Our troubles pale in comparison to what’s going on 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kauaijim said:

We are still under the Dec 8 deadline. SS Says by 1/2 they will have the itinerary for the last leg Muscat to Dubai . Not acceptable so we will take the credit and 10% thank you,  for a cruise in 25 . This itinerary is not offered in 25 . They were not amused when I asked if credit could be switched to SB . They will not refund the land portion which was totally canceled, only credit . .pricing is high in 25 I’m trading a silver suite for 20 days for a veranda . Good luck to all navigating this unfortunate situation. Our troubles pale in comparison to what’s going on 

did you get anything in writing.  I still have not received any of this info.  only verbal info on the phone that itinerary will change