Just booked last minute cruise- have questions

Katie111

14 minutes ago, Katie111 said:

Two more questions-

This is a surprise trip for my kids.  Based on the odd bathroom layout, I booked mom & daughter together and dad & boys together.  If the kids all decide they want to stay in one room, should I call and switch that (will they even allow me to do that) or can they just stay in one room without notifying anyone?  They would take the balcony room that sleeps 3.

We did the GTY rooms as that was all that was left.  We have one interior and one balcony.  Just got our room numbers and we are on opposite ends of the ship, 3 floors apart.  Anyone ever have luck getting them to change their rooms with a GTY room?  Not really a big deal and I was well aware when I booked that we probably would not be near each other, but it would be nice to be a little closer.  

No real need to tell NCL who’s staying where.  Unless, something goes very sideways and they are trying to reach someone who’s staying in the other room.  That’s the only time I would think it might be wise to tell them.

My guess is, the kids would want to stay in a room together vs with Mom and Pop, anyway.  Oh BTW…..you’re paying for the cruise.  You get the balcony.  Kids get the inside room. 😉

Good luck getting the GTY cabins changed.  Odds are, you won’t get the rooms close to each other.  But, give them a jingle and see what they say.  

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

No real need to tell NCL who’s staying where.  Unless, something goes very sideways and they are trying to reach someone who’s staying in the other room.  That’s the only time I would think it might be wise to tell them.

My guess is, the kids would want to stay in a room together vs with Mom and Pop, anyway.  Oh BTW…..you’re paying for the cruise.  You get the balcony.  Kids get the inside room. 😉

Good luck getting the GTY cabins changed.  Odds are, you won’t get the rooms close to each other.  But, give them a jingle and see what they say.  

Yeah, 3 kids in a cabin that sleeps 2 might end in a death match with my kids!  Husband & I just got off an RCL cruise and I think I walked out on the balcony once to check the weather. I don't really care where I sleep, we're never in the room anyways.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Katie111 said:

Yeah, 3 kids in a cabin that sleeps 2 might end in a death match with my kids!  Husband & I just got off an RCL cruise and I think I walked out on the balcony once to check the weather. I don't really care where I sleep, we're never in the room anyways.  

Interesting.  

I know some people say a balcony is a necessity (me being one of them).  I know of others who just don’t care.  You’re the latter.

3 kids?  In their own room?  A ship’s length away from me?  I’m good with that!!!!!!!  (J/k)!

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

53 minutes ago, Katie111 said:

My money's on the daughter 😂

Edited by Daruma
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Katie111 said:

I did look at the NCL FAQ's and am in fact looking at the printout of it right now that I printed out and read before I posted.  Sorry, I was still confused.  And I've now learned a lot of new information by posting.  Things that I hadn't even thought about.  If you don't want to answer, you are welcome to scroll on by.  That's what I do when I don't want to answer someone's questions. 

Well said!

4 hours ago, Katie111 said:

I did look at the NCL FAQ's and am in fact looking at the printout of it right now that I printed out and read before I posted.  Sorry, I was still confused.  And I've now learned a lot of new information by posting.  Things that I hadn't even thought about.  If you don't want to answer, you are welcome to scroll on by.  That's what I do when I don't want to answer someone's questions. 

I find the terms to be a little clearer.

https://www.ncl.com/about/terms-and-conditions/promotions

You can add-on specialty dining for any guest. I don't have a current reservation and can't remember the exact navigation but it's there under your booking info once you've logged in. The add-on package can be purchased on board too. You'll be asked for your card when you pay for the meals, just let them know to charge two on your son's card and keep yours available for the second dining with just you and your DH. Ymmv of course depending on your initial server. Or you can call the consultant and cancel altogether and get the gratuities on the included packages refunded at least. Generally the specialty dining is better than the MDR so I find the FAS worth keeping. 

• Like 1

I have sailed with my kids for years.  they are all above 21 now but for years we sailed when they were in those in between years,  You do not need a beverage package or need to be 21 to get into the nightclubs. The Bliss nightclub has an adults only late at night, but they are not very vigilant about checking for ages to get in. They are very vigilant about checking for ages to buy drinks. Your key card indicates that you are under age so if you try to present it to purchase a drink, they won’t sell it to you, however please be aware that people with the beverage package that are of age can get drinks sometimes provide them to minors. So have an honest conversation about what you’re expectations are if all three of your kids are in the nightclub unchaperoned.  Definitely get a soda package for the ones not of age. They can use it for kitty cocktails or mocktails, and will just be easier if they don’t have to sign for every beverage.

I have never had to provide two key cards to use the specialty dining package. They will ask you if you are both in the same room and if you are, they will only take one key card. You will need to either get the fifth passenger on a dining plan or pay à la cart for their meal when you eat in a specialty restaurant.  I’m paying for the cruise so I always take as many of the specialty dining opportunities as there are.  sometimes that means my kids don’t eat with me and we’re all more than OK with that. My husband and I can enjoy a wonderful dinner at Ocean blue, and my kids can pig out on burgers and fries at O’Sheans or the buffet.

enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spudd said:

They won't let you switch it on the reservation (must be one adult in each room on paper) but on board you can ask for extra room keys and sleep where you like.

the oldest is 21, so she could be the adult in the 2nd cabin if they want

• Like 1