Advice for snorkeling and beach

KarimaJ

I will be in Tortola from 6:00-2:00pm. Some of us would like to snorkel but mom needs a chair, shade, and bathrooms. There is a snorkel trip to Normans island, does anyone know how good snorkeling is? I have enjoyed snorkeling best at grand cayman and st.thomas/st.john. Another option is Brewers bay, how is snorkeling there?

Like St Thomas, St John, Grand Cayman, Belize, Cozumel and most other Carib ports, the best snorkeling is indeed from a boat that is moored/anchored in the most prime spots. Off-the-beach snorkeling is much easier and less expensive when in port, and you can find great snorkeling spots from beaches in all of these ports. But THE best are in cays and on reefs around the islands…

For your Tortola stop, the best snorkeling option is with one of the day sails that include stops at the Indians, Norman Caves, the wreck of RMS Rhône, or other spots as weather permits.

You will find Aristocat, Kuralu, and Patouche offer these tours, as well as tours to the west that include Diamond Cay and White Bay on Jost. There are also private charters, one mentioned in “The Gorgeous Beaches of the BVI” thread.

For off-the-beach snorkeling, Brewers is probably your best bet, many avid snorkelers report decent snorkeling in a specific area there. We’ve not been in some time, but there is natural shade, there should be lounges available, and the restroom “facilities” are rustic if not updated. Nicole’s beach bar serves food and drinks…

Gorgeous, old Caribbean vibe vs CGB that is very busy. I’ve read about snorkeling spots at CGB well away from the central area of the bay, but unless Brewers is not comfortable enough for your mom that would by my rec. 

But if you can get the daysail that is a great option!

• Like 2