Smart Attire for Men--Nice Jeans and Collared Pullover Sweater?

rj1227

If it matters, I will be on a Transatlantic winter crossing on the QM2. My understanding is that a sports coat is not required. On the smart attire nights, is there anything wrong with a man wearing a nice pair of jeans or denim pants (rather than dress trousers) and a collared pullover sweater not worn with a collared shirt underneath?

I thank everyone who took the time to respond. And it appears it was fortunate that I asked. But can I ask for some clarity with the responses. And yes, I am talking about evening dress.

I asked about very nice dress jeans and about a collared sweater worn without a collared shirt. I take it that the jeans would be inappropriate. I can't say I am surprised.

But if people are saying that a collared sweater is inappropriate, that does surprise me because I think that as dressy as a collared shirt.

If anyone cares to respond, are you saying both items would not meet the dress code? And if one does and one doesn't, can you identify which one would pass and which one would not? Thanks again. 

Smart attire simply means a dress shirt and trousers, skirt and a top, or a cocktail dress. Essentially, choose something along the same vein as you’d wear to a stylish restaurant or the theatre on a special occasion.

The above is from the FAQ on the UK site.

11 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Smart attire simply means a dress shirt and trousers, skirt and a top, or a cocktail dress. Essentially, choose something along the same vein as you’d wear to a stylish restaurant or the theatre on a special occasion.

The above is from the FAQ on the UK site.

The problem with the sentence highlighted is, as we all know, very subjective and dress styles for different occasions vary throughout the world.

To enjoy the main body of the ship of an evening, they should have kept with the sentence before the highlighted one eg  dress shirt and trousers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Cunard website says little--"dress shirt and trousers" with the aspirational statement that the dress should be appropriate to a "stylish restaurant" or theater on a special evening. 

I just saw a photo, probably from Cunard, of two couples dressed in smart attire. The two men were wearing a collared shirt and a sports coat, but their trousers looked denim. 

I also just read a travel agency website addressing evening attire on Cunard--it talked about slacks and a sweater or a collared shirt and sports coat.

Look, this is my first Cunard experience, and I knew before signing up that Cunard was a formal cruise line. I am not debating what the dress code should be--again I think a collared sweater is more dressy than a collared shirt without a sports coat. Whatever the rules are, I will comply with. But I have limited luggage space for evening clothing. To those who have been on winter Cunard sailings, I am just trying to find out whether the four-word website statement of "dress shirt and trousers" is literally the rule or whether it is somewhat a guide and aspirational.

• Like 1

I am just trying to find out whether the four-word website statement of "dress shirt and trousers" is literally the rule or whether it is somewhat a guide and aspirational.

It's def. not aspirational as most follow and it's a definite guide rather than a somewhat one. Of course rules are always there to be flouted by some and I would like to think rather than rule, it's more the guide most Cunard passengers follow.

Victoria2, thanks again. I will assume that collared shirt is a hard rule and pack accordingly, which means also a sports jacket because in my view a collared shirt without more is not dressy enough and in the winter is not warm enough.

5 minutes ago, rj1227 said:

Victoria2, thanks again. I will assume that collared shirt is a hard rule and pack accordingly, which means also a sports jacket because in my view a collared shirt without more is not dressy enough and in the winter is not warm enough.

My husband is a jacket wearer but that's his choice although some of his shirts could be worn quite easily without a jacket and wouldn't look too 'undressy'

.Once onboard and after a night or two, you'll get a feel of the ambiance and as a turtle neck takes so little room, I'd pack it. It could be a piece of 'day wear'.

Whatever, thanks for asking opinions and have a SUPER time.

🙂

2 hours ago, rj1227 said:

If it matters, I will be on a Transatlantic winter crossing on the QM2. My understanding is that a sports coat is not required. On the smart attire nights, is there anything wrong with a man wearing a nice pair of jeans or denim pants (rather than dress trousers) and a collared pullover sweater not worn with a collared shirt underneath?

Depends  on how old or infirm the male is , otherwise , why not make all 'Evenings' a sense of occasion with your fellow guests.   QM2 Transatlantic voyages ( unlike a cruise)  tend to attract a more sophisticated dressy crowd in the evenings.   

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

It almost seems that one, or both of you, is determined to push the boundaries as low as you can.

Why not turn it around and see how much nicer you'd both look completely "glammed up".

Then, you'd not look out of place and probably love being part of the experience. It doesn't have to cost a fortune, but I'm sure, you'd have a far better time if you respected the Cunard traditions, and feel more part of the "family" if you chose to aspire to a higher dress appearance and enjoy the ambiance.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Bell Boy said:

Depends  on how old or infirm the male is , otherwise , why not make all 'Evenings' a sense of occasion with your fellow guests.   QM2 Transatlantic voyages ( unlike a cruise)  tend to attract a more sophisticated dressy crowd in the evenings.   

I would say there is no difference in the sophistication of passengers between Cunard ships. All have their share of 'the sophisticated'.

I do however agree there seems to be a higher degree of formality on a TA cruise than a non TA cruise.

• Like 1

@rj1227 ThYanks for the question. 

Most pax on Cunard ships voluntarily come onboard to fully participate in the dress code and to go over and above the minimum. We all don’t want you to feel underdressed or uncomfortable if you go below the minimum. Plus, many Cunard pax feel that by abiding with the dress code, we all show respect to all other pax who also abide. 
With that said, I believe a sports jacket/blazer over a nice turtleneck with a nice pair of trousers would look great on a Smart Attire night for a winter Crossing. 
Bottom Line: please know the overall attire bar is pretty high in the evenings so don’t dress down to feel out of place. 

• Like 1

I get the impression rj1227  has no intention of 'dressing down' or under any perceived 'minimum'. He was, understandably given the slightly subjective  'guide' Cunard have on their website and as mentioned in my post #11,  asking for clarification of the evening requirements for dress on a Cunard TA cruise.

• Like 1

The Cunard suggestions for Smart Attire nights are indeed subjective and confusing.  I want to make sure our OP, who was courteous enough to post his valid question on this board, understands these nuances that many sail on Cunard because we want to abide and exceed the dress code. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rj1227 said:

To those who have been on winter Cunard sailings, I am just trying to find out whether the four-word website statement of "dress shirt and trousers" is literally the rule or whether it is somewhat a guide and aspirational.

I'm a devoted fan of the Cunard dress code, but I say do your best and don't worry about it any more.  I do think you'll be happier if you pack a jacket, though.  The collared sweater sounds just a bit too informal for dinner.  

You'll have the hang of it on your second cruise...

PS  All the other posts offer excellent advice.

Edited by alc13
  • Like 2

I'm not sure I quite understand the "winter" part of the question. Unless one plans to spend most of the evenings outdoors I can't see that it's any different from other times of year. QM2 has a fairly high space per passenger ratio and the climate control system doesn't generally struggle. Evening wear shouldn't really be any different no matter the season.

Last time my wife wore spray on jeans once or twice during the day. I don't generally wear jeans unless I'm doing some work around the house. Next time for a round trip transatlantic I only plan to take dinner suits, a dark suit and wool trousers and blazer. I'll always wear a tie and jacket from lunch onwards. My wife will leave the jeans/jeggings/leggings at home and only take gowns, dresses, skirts and tops. We will also take gym and swim wear.

I can't think of a way that any type of sweater could be regarded as suitable for evening wear on a Cunard ship other than perhaps a very delicate V neck or cardigan over a shirt and tie if someone is so infirm that their health would be at risk from the cold. Although they could equally wear one or more vests. I've never seen a man wearing jeans that wouldn't look out of place at night on QM2. In the south of France they seem to be acceptable with a jacket, collar and tie for daytime business wear.

Having said all that; That's how we dress and we don't really care what others do, but dressing down will stand out more than dressing up.

• Like 4