Smart Attire for Men--Nice Jeans and Collared Pullover Sweater?

rj1227

It doesn't matter what anyone else wears. I think it's been established the OP in post 14, has decided his question has been answered and has decided what to pack with regards to a collared sweater and jeans of an evening, which was the crux of post #1.

2 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

It doesn't matter what anyone else wears. I think it's been established the OP in post 14, has decided his question has been answered and has decided what to pack with regards to a collared sweater and jeans of an evening, which was the crux of post #1.

True, but we just love discussing the Dress Code!

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, 57eric said:

I wear jeans every day at home (unless it's warm enough for shorts).  One of the joys of cruising with Cunard is that the jeans stay home.

and one of the joys of cruising with Cunard is that I can wear my jeans if I want to, and I do, just in case the o/ p has the impression  they are frowned upon. They don’t fit 'Smart Attire' but they are most acceptable during the day and in a few areas of the ship in the evening.

Victoria2 is right. My two specific questions regarding dress jeans and a collared sweater were addressed. My thanks to all who contributed, and please keep debating the dress code. 

When I booked the Transatlantic crossing, I largely knew what I was signing up for. As a result of your responses, I will bring a sports jacket. Now I still think a nice turtleneck and sports coat is more dressy than a dress shirt and a sports coat, but I will bring a few dress shirts and keep the cleaners on the ship busy.  

My purpose in posting was not to challenge the rules but to understand them. I am actually going to be in Europe for two weeks before the crossing with one carry-on suitcase. I will shipping to Southampton the dress clothes and shoes for the crossing but will be using a second carry-on suitcase to keep the expense down.

• Like 8

As a fellow Louisianian,(BR) who took my first Cunard cruise last month, welcome aboard.  I am glad to see you have decided to dress on the higher end rather than the bare minimum.  I wore a jacket and trousers every smart dress night.  It felt nice.

Edited by chryso
  • Like 5

After reading too many divisive dress code discussions on this board, I’m very happy that we kept this positive and that the OP is really looking forward to sailing on Cunard; hopefully the first of many. 
BTW, I still like your idea of wearing the turtleneck/jacket/trousers combo! I may sport that myself one Smart Attire Night in on QE PG in Alaska next summer. 

• Like 2

Just now, maggielou362 said:

I have mentioned something like this in another thread, but as a newcomer to Cunard I will be wearing my evening dresses to breakfast, the gym, on laps of the promenade deck as well as dinner. Can't go wrong!😉

I should keep out of the pools. 😀

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, maggielou362 said:

I have mentioned something like this in another thread, but as a newcomer to Cunard I will be wearing my evening dresses to breakfast, the gym, on laps of the promenade deck as well as dinner. Can't go wrong!😉

I advise trainers for the promenade laps and paper clips to temporarily hoik up the hem of long dresses, other than that, and of course following exlondoner's excellent advice, sounds good! 🙂

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/20/2023 at 11:43 PM, NE John said:

After reading too many divisive dress code discussions on this board, I’m very happy that we kept this positive and that the OP is really looking forward to sailing on Cunard; hopefully the first of many. 
BTW, I still like your idea of wearing the turtleneck/jacket/trousers combo! I may sport that myself one Smart Attire Night in on QE PG in Alaska next summer. 

Yes, this discussion was very positive and extremely helpful.  Although I had to google what a collared sweater looks like because I had no idea.   Now I realize that I own at least one collared sweater, which I usually wear with chinos, so definitely casual wear.

Now that we know about luggage forwarding, we're super excited about our TA next year and have already started ordering our gala themed accessories.   Our issue wasn't so much of not wanting to get dressed up, but rather didn't want to carry around formal wear through Europe on our pre-cruise travels.   

I think some of the angst that comes up with these dress code threads is that some lament the overall decline in attire standards in general and look back on the days when people dressed up for dinner.   Just like the "return to office" mandates aren't going over too well, I think that the horse is out of the barn with dress codes.  The world has become a more casual place in general.  QM2 on a TA may become the last bastion for those looking for a formal type of experience, at least during the evening.    We're looking forward to the experience and going "all in" with the dress code.... 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Joe33472 said:

Yes, this discussion was very positive and extremely helpful.  Although I had to google what a collared sweater looks like because I had no idea.   Now I realize that I own at least one collared sweater, which I usually wear with chinos, so definitely casual wear.

Now that we know about luggage forwarding, we're super excited about our TA next year and have already started ordering our gala themed accessories.   Our issue wasn't so much of not wanting to get dressed up, but rather didn't want to carry around formal wear through Europe on our pre-cruise travels.   

I think some of the angst that comes up with these dress code threads is that some lament the overall decline in attire standards in general and look back on the days when people dressed up for dinner.   Just like the "return to office" mandates aren't going over too well, I think that the horse is out of the barn with dress codes.  The world has become a more casual place in general.  QM2 on a TA may become the last bastion for those looking for a formal type of experience, at least during the evening.    We're looking forward to the experience and going "all in" with the dress code.... 

What about school proms?

Just now, Joe33472 said:

Welcome back, I remember your questions and comments about your TA. 
I agree about Cunard being the last bastion. NYC/Wall Street office dress is appalling, especially for younger people in the biz who need to make a good first impression - not look like a golf caddy. 
I believe when you dress up to certain standards you respect yourself and the others around you. And one can do that without being a snob or looking down on others. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

What about school proms?

Maybe school proms and weddings???  Haven't been to a school prom in 30+ years, but at my neice's weeding during the pandemic, I wore 2-piece suit and tie (not in wedding party).  But some of my nieces co-workers wore what I would consider business casual and perhaps a little more casual than business casual.   Didn't affect my enjoyment of the event.

15 minutes ago, NE John said:

Welcome back, I remember your questions and comments about your TA. 
I agree about Cunard being the last bastion. NYC/Wall Street office dress is appalling, especially for younger people in the biz who need to make a good first impression - not look like a golf caddy. 
I believe when you dress up to certain standards you respect yourself and the others around you. And one can do that without being a snob or looking down on others. 

Thanks for the welcome back.  Yes, agree, it's an issue of respect.  Years ago when I worked in a small CPA firm in Palm Beach, my boss asked me to wear my suit jacket when I went to the building's common bathrooms in case I ran into a client in the bathroom.  I was like, "yeah, no".  I would put the jacket on if a client came into the office (even if not meeting with me), but the bathroom was a strech.   Times have changed.   When I visit Big-4 CPA firms in NYC with my students, suits are generally non-existent, nevermind a tie.  

58 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

What about school proms?

The girls’ hemlines are getting higher and higher every year for Prom goers. Boys tend to wear colorful tuxes. At least many students make a decent effort but the nuns would frown on what some of the girls are wearing to Prom these days!

Since I started this thread, which has veered in directions I was not anticipating, I guess I can comment. 

These days how many are actually working in an office? 

I will confess that when I was working over the last 10 years, I had reached the point where I preferred  not wearing a coat and tie--unless I was seeing clients or venturing outside the office for professional reasons.

However, I do think that there is some connection between how we dress and how we act, and that the lowering of dress expectations has adversely and sadly affected manners and common courtesy.  

Finally, though some of you obviously "like" to dress up in the evening more than I do, I will say that if one is going to do it, one should do it the right way, which for me means only black or cordovan shoes--never brown--with a navy suit. That should kick off a new thread.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Just now, NE John said:

The girls’ hemlines are getting higher and higher every year for Prom goers. Boys tend to wear colorful tuxes. At least many students make a decent effort but the nuns would frown on what some of the girls are wearing to Prom these days!

That is what nuns are for. What era of female fashion would they approve of?

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Since OP specifically mentioned a winter crossing, I'll contribute my thoughts since I just disembarked from QM2 yesterday in Brooklyn.  Jeans are not considered "Smart Attire"; I heard staff in the Chart Room and Commodore Club suggest to two patrons who's attire did not fit the dress code that they might be more comfortable in the Golden Lion pub (one man was wearing neat jeans and the other time a man was wearing a polo shirt, e.g. a short sleeved shirt with a collar and several buttons).  In general, I thought the women were much dressier than normal every night - on Smart Attire evenings a lot of women wore some sparkle, lace or chiffon in a knee length outfit.  Very nice to see!  Not a lot of floor length gowns on Gala nights but if not floor length, the overwhelming majority were dressy w sparkles, etc.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Queenvee said:

Since OP specifically mentioned a winter crossing, I'll contribute my thoughts since I just disembarked from QM2 yesterday in Brooklyn.  Jeans are not considered "Smart Attire"; I heard staff in the Chart Room and Commodore Club suggest to two patrons who's attire did not fit the dress code that they might be more comfortable in the Golden Lion pub (one man was wearing neat jeans and the other time a man was wearing a polo shirt, e.g. a short sleeved shirt with a collar and several buttons).  In general, I thought the women were much dressier than normal every night - on Smart Attire evenings a lot of women wore some sparkle, lace or chiffon in a knee length outfit.  Very nice to see!  Not a lot of floor length gowns on Gala nights but if not floor length, the overwhelming majority were dressy w sparkles, etc.

Hello neighbor!

2 hours ago, Queenvee said:

Last November on a couple of 'smart attire' nights, I wore black jeans, with a dress shirt, vest [waistcoat], and tie - that seemed to pass muster with the fashion police 😉