Celebrity Beyond: Price of Veuve Cliquot

njguy_south

I am sailing Beyond over the holidays (Christmas and New Years) and am trying to nail down the regular price of Veuve Cliquot champagne. Online (as a gift) Celebrity is stating a price of $130. However, looking at the online menu of two of the restaurants, I am seeing a price of $92. Does anyone know the actual price? I am asking, as I am trying to avoid having to carry on bottles and would prefer to pay the extra price for the convenience of purchasing onboard. Thanks!!

I don’t remember the price although I saw the same.  Just wanted to say you have good taste.

I didn’t buy any wine to drink later because I was told here on CC that all they do is put the cork back in the bottle if you don’t finish it.

Edited by zitsky
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, gordiej said:

There are so many much more interesting Champagnes than Veuve Cliquot.

But it wouldn't surprise me if the price in a restaurant is different than a pre-purchased gift (which maybe includes glasses?)

Can you please tell us something about those more interesting champagnes that are available on board?

I have bought and drunk (!) Dom Perignon and was not impressed for the price.  I also drink low end Costco Prosecco and sparkling from New Mexico.  Eek!  My every day go to is Veuve Clicquot non vintage which is $60 at my local Total Wine.  I just like that particular blend of Chardonnay, Pinot Noir and Pinot Meunier.

Edited by zitsky
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I have bought and drunk (!) Dom Perignon and was not impressed for the price.  I also drink low end Costco Prosecco and sparkling from New Mexico.  Eek!  My every day go to is Veuve Clicquot non vintage which is $60 at my local Total Wine.  I just like that blend of Chardonnay, Pinot Noir and Pinot Meunier.

Locally, the Costco Champagne for $20 is our go to when we want bubbly. 

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

Locally, the Costco Champagne for $20 is our go to when we want bubbly. 

Where can I find that onboard?  😂

When I’m not drinking VC I drink $7 Kirkland Asolo Prosecco. 

Drinking VC = my husband went to the bathroom while I’m checking out.

Edited by zitsky
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Can you please tell us something about those more interesting champagnes that are available on board?

I have bought and drunk (!) Dom Perignon and was not impressed for the price.  I also drink low end Costco Prosecco and sparkling from New Mexico.  Eek!  My every day go to is Veuve Clicquot non vintage which is $60 at my local Total Wine.  I just like that particular blend of Chardonnay, Pinot Noir and Pinot Meunier.

Well I get it, it’s a personal thing, but…

I, for some reason, don’t enjoy most of the LVMH brands, which includes Moet, Veuve, and Dom (I can drink Dom but don’t think it’s worth the price).

For value on X I’d go with the Mumm (assuming it’s the Cordon Rouge) or even the Domaine Carneros (NOT the Chandon which is cheaper - and LVMH!)

The Taittinger is also good. (Carneros is a lovely California house owned by Taittinger.)  If you come across Schramsberg, that’s also a very good value CA sparkling. 

For something more special, honestly, any of the Tait Comtes de Champagne, PJ Belle-Epoque or Krug are all great (actually Krug my least favorite of the 3 for value, it’s also LVMH lol, but a lot of people like it), Comtes is one of my favorites. Based on the prices I see in my cruise planner, all 3 are decent deals, much lower markups than at a land restaurant. The Comtes was ~$230 AT THE WINERY IN REIMS a year ago - vs $275 in MDR. Of course pre-Covid I could get it on sale at a liquor store for $160 :shrug:

And nothing inherently wrong with Costco, you know you’re getting great value from anything they sell. 

Edited by gordiej
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, gordiej said:

Well I get it, it’s a personal thing, but…

I, for some reason, don’t enjoy most of the LVMH brands, which includes Moet, Veuve, and Dom (I can drink Dom but don’t think it’s worth the price).

For value on X I’d go with the Mumm (assuming it’s the Cordon Rouge) or even the Domaine Carneros (NOT the Chandon which is cheaper - and LVMH!)

The Taittinger is also good. (Carneros is a lovely California house owned by Taittinger.)  If you come across Schramsberg, that’s also a very good value CA sparkling. 

For something more special, honestly, any of the Tait Comtes de Champagne, PJ Belle-Epoque or Krug are all great (actually Krug my least favorite of the 3 for value, it’s also LVMH lol, but a lot of people like it), Comtes is one of my favorites. Based on the prices I see in my cruise planner, all 3 are decent deals, much lower markups than at a land restaurant. The Comtes was ~$230 AT THE WINERY IN REIMS a year ago - vs $275 in MDR. Of course pre-Covid I could get it on sale at a liquor store for $160 :shrug:

And nothing inherently wrong with Costco, you know you’re getting great value from anything they sell. 

Nothing decent is available on board by the glass I believe???

What is your pick for New Year’s Eve dinner in Murano (on Eclipse)?  Comtes?

2 hours ago, keesar said:

😜Nobody has mentioned Celebrity Vintages.  

You only get that if you’re in the Retreat.  No one on Cruise Critic can afford it, so they don’t know.

I’m sitting here right now drinking wine from Biltmore Estate, Asheville, NC, USA.  They say most but not all the grapes come from California.  But I had a local estate Chardonnay which was respectable.  I have a friend who only drinks French wine who called the Biltmore wine “terrible”.

Edited by zitsky

26 minutes ago, zitsky said:

You only get that if you’re in the Retreat.  No one on Cruise Critic can afford it, so they don’t know.

I’m sitting here right now drinking wine from Biltmore Estate, Asheville, NC, USA.  They say most but not all the grapes come from California.  But I had a local estate Chardonnay which was respectable.  I have a friend who only drinks French wine who called the Biltmore wine “terrible”.

I heard they were serving Vitages but only to the Zeniths there.  Status has its advantages.

That part of NC has weather similar to France.  The initial problem they had at Biltmore was that the initial grape vines were table grapes not suitable for wines.  Then they made the correction.  Heard that on our tour.  

I'm a $10 Cristalino gal; especially when it's on BOGO at Publix. 🤷‍♀️  Very surprised that Cliquot in an Ascent tin (Cliq is an anniversary staple as we received a bottle for our 'no gifts' wedding) is $69 in the onboard store.  I think that's relatively inexpensive because Cliq is $50 @ Costco and Publix right now.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, CunucuMom said:

I'm a $10 Cristalino gal; especially when it's on BOGO at Publix. 🤷‍♀️  Very surprised that Cliquot in an Ascent tin (Cliq is an anniversary staple as we received a bottle for our 'no gifts' wedding) is $69 in the onboard store.  I think that's relatively inexpensive because Cliq is $50 @ Costco and Publix right now.

I wonder why prices for VC are completely different when bought as a gift online, in the store or at a restaurant onboard.