Taino Bay questions

tmal2

I'm looking for information on Taino Bay. We'll be stopping there on Getaway in February and I see there is a pool, shops and lazy river withing walking distance of the ship. Does anyone know the costs associated with using these facilities? Is there anything to do just outside of this area within walking distance? Is it a safe area?

Thanks in advance.

11 hours ago, tmal2 said:

I'm looking for information on Taino Bay. We'll be stopping there on Getaway in February and I see there is a pool, shops and lazy river withing walking distance of the ship. Does anyone know the costs associated with using these facilities? Is there anything to do just outside of this area within walking distance? Is it a safe area?

Thanks in advance.

I wil be there on Feb 3rd on the Getaway. Pool and lazy river are free. They suggest you order a drink at the pool bar tho...

My teens and I will do the monkey experience in port and then walk ( about 10 minutes ) to Umbrella street and Pink Alley.

This part of town is safe but many many locals will offer to guide you in town for a few $. I read that if you decline politely ( many times 😉 ) everything is fine.

Does anyone know if how to find out how many ships will be docked there on my cruise date? I tried using  the Cruise Mapper site, but when it comes to Puerto Plata, they only list the Amber Cove port. I'm on the Seascape, and we are supposed to dock at Taino Bay. Thanks 

On 11/26/2023 at 5:46 PM, blueslily said:

Does anyone know if how to find out how many ships will be docked there on my cruise date? I tried using  the Cruise Mapper site, but when it comes to Puerto Plata, they only list the Amber Cove port. I'm on the Seascape, and we are supposed to dock at Taino Bay. Thanks 

Cruisedig shows all ships for Puerto Plata, So check there and then check which ships are in Amber cove. We are there January 8th 2024 and shows 4 ships in Puerto Plata and only one going to Amer Cove. I know only 2 ships can dock in Taino Bay so either a second one will go to Amber Cove, or 2 docked and one tendering....we are the second ship to arrive at Taino Bay. 

On 11/19/2023 at 7:39 PM, jkneern said:

Everything was free when we were there but had a tip jar out. We went in Feb last year and the pool and lazy river were freezing so we didn’t go in either.

NCL has changed our cruise around, which means our excursion times do not match the times we arrive in Puerto Plata DR. I am trying to find out what cruise terminal you docked at, so I can make plans from there. Was the town within walking distance?

• 2 weeks later...

We were in Tiano Bay in April. It was our favorite gated cruise area. The pool, & lazy river are free. Both were warm. We were never encouraged or suggested to buy a drink or anything. The pool area is huge and gorgeous. The were many very pretty tropical birds in the trees when you enter the port area. The whole area was beautiful. Shops were all new & very well done.

We walked into town, very easy, quick, close, less then 10 min max. There were guides outside the gates. One insisted on being our guide, we told him no 20 times, we kept walking,  telling him we don't want a guide and are not paying anything. He never gave up. It actually ended up being good, he walked us to everything we wanted to see, was our private photographer, carried our purchases, everyone in town knew him. It felt very safe with or without him. We ended up tipping him at the end. We spent probably 2 hours out exploring. I did my research before we set sail to make sure we would feel safe walking to town.

There were police on most corners. We wouldn't hesitate to do it again. Great day!

We got off the ship soon as we could, went to town first, then back on the ship for lunch. After lunch changed into swim suits walk back into the terminal port area & enjoyed the pool &  time exploring there. Went back to the ship late afternoon.

As fabulous as Tiano Bay is, it's worth checking out Puerta Plata, umbrella street, pink street & just seeing the area since your there. Definitely on foot if you can.

Happy travels!

• Like 3

We were just there last week and loved this port! The lazy river was pretty big and went on forever and you could just grab a tube and go. There are 2 pools. One was by the lazy river and had hammocks you could lay in above the water. It's a really nice area. The other pool was very large with a large ledge around it with loungers in the water and also a "dock" that went out into the water and some wooden square box areas in the water. This seemed to be the area that was "happening" and they had music playing by a DJ and people dancing and it was a lot of fun. We were never approached by anyone about buying a drink or even taking an order for anything. 

• Like 2

On 12/13/2023 at 1:57 AM, tweety33 said:

It actually ended up being good, he walked us to everything we wanted to see, was our private photographer, carried our purchases, everyone in town knew him. It felt very safe with or without him. We ended up tipping him at the end. We spent probably 2 hours out exploring. I did my research before we set sail to make sure we would feel safe walking to town.

We are definitely going to walk in to town when we are there and are expecting company when we leave the port area. Would you mind letting me know please what you tipped him.

1 hour ago, Tin can said:

We are definitely going to walk in to town when we are there and are expecting company when we leave the port area. Would you mind letting me know please what you tipped him.

We made it very clear to leave us alone and we would not pay anything, he said its ok, he is a free goverment service.

At the end we decided to give him $10, before we got it out he asked for $30 to pay for lunch. We ended up giving him $15. 

9 hours ago, tweety33 said:

We made it very clear to leave us alone and we would not pay anything, he said its ok, he is a free goverment service.

At the end we decided to give him $10, before we got it out he asked for $30 to pay for lunch. We ended up giving him $15. 

Thanks for that, appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

On the Norwegian Breakaway this June. Scheduled for Puerto Plata on the 11th. The NCL website says NCL ships dock at Amber Cove but it seems that many people on other NCL ships are saying they went to Taino Bay. Does anyone know how to find out which port exactly we will dock at?

• 2 months later...
On 12/18/2023 at 10:44 AM, mitsugirly said:

We were just there last week and loved this port! The lazy river was pretty big and went on forever and you could just grab a tube and go. There are 2 pools. One was by the lazy river and had hammocks you could lay in above the water. It's a really nice area. The other pool was very large with a large ledge around it with loungers in the water and also a "dock" that went out into the water and some wooden square box areas in the water. This seemed to be the area that was "happening" and they had music playing by a DJ and people dancing and it was a lot of fun. We were never approached by anyone about buying a drink or even taking an order for anything. 

Enjoyed yr lazy river video, thanks.  Your daughter is a young lady now, having followed yr NCL reviews for years.

Question is how long a walk from the ship to the pool/lazy river area?

Did you happen to notice any carts going back & forth for those who might need a little help?

Someone on another thread mentioned a locker near the lazy river area for one's valuables.  Did you happen to use that?  Is there a charge?  Bring change?

Enjoy your next adventure!

1 hour ago, snorklinbarb said:

Enjoyed yr lazy river video, thanks.  Your daughter is a young lady now, having followed yr NCL reviews for years.

Did you happen to notice any carts going back & forth for those who might need a little help?

Someone on another thread mentioned a locker near the lazy river area for one's valuables.  Did you happen to use that?  Is there a charge?  Bring change?

Thanks and yes she is all grown up now. 

Yes, they do have carts taking you back and forth from the ship.

image.thumb.jpeg.0f481112205d38f54a1bcdfd95987b98.jpeg

We did not use the lockers. Sorry I can't comment on that. We just left our bags by our chairs.

On 3/14/2024 at 4:17 PM, snorklinbarb said:

Yes there are lockers near the change rooms near the new surf activity.

There is a fee, you have to get a special token ( I think inside the changing room ) to use them.

They are out of the way, besides if you are going to the surf thing you will not see them. 

I ( and it is only MY opinion ), didn't feel safe leaving my things in there. If someone wanted to tamper with the locker to get your things they would have the time and tranquillity to do so because of the location.

• Like 1

I was wondering if we I would be able to tell in advance if we will be tendering into Taino Bay.  There are 3 ships in the port (Breakaway, Independence of the Seas and the NCL Sky.  The Carnival Celebration is at Amber Cover alone.).  We are on the Sky which is the smallest of the three and the last scheduled to arrive.  Does that mean we will be the one tendering?  I was considering going back to the ship for lunch, but tendering back for lunch is a PITB.

17 hours ago, robinbtigger said:

I was wondering if we I would be able to tell in advance if we will be tendering into Taino Bay.  There are 3 ships in the port (Breakaway, Independence of the Seas and the NCL Sky.  The Carnival Celebration is at Amber Cover alone.).  We are on the Sky which is the smallest of the three and the last scheduled to arrive.  Does that mean we will be the one tendering?  I was considering going back to the ship for lunch, but tendering back for lunch is a PITB.

Your cruise confirmation ( contract ) that you got via email has a list of the ports with the arrival and departure time AND the mention "dock" or "tender". You should have your answer there.

6 hours ago, sebas030 said:

Your cruise confirmation ( contract ) that you got via email has a list of the ports with the arrival and departure time AND the mention "dock" or "tender". You should have your answer there.

Thanks! I didn’t see anything in the confirmation from my TA.  I guess it’ll just be a surprise!  I’ll roll with it if it’s a tender.