Norovirus on Ventura?

davecttr

14 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

Just because a product meets EN 14476 doesn't mean that it kills noro virus. 

Well given that  BS EN 14476 certification means that it contains anti-viral ingredients and is required to kill  (amongst other viruses)  Poliovirus, Norovirus, Influenza A and adenovirus.   I would rather go for one that meets that spec rather than one that doesn't .  

19 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Washing your hands with hot, soapy water is the best way to protect yourself from Norovirus this winter, according to experts at the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital

It is definitely better to wash your hand thoroughly than to use gel but unfortunately most people do not wash their hand properly.  My mum was a nurse and taught us how to wash our hands in the same way that she did at work.  When my sister started training as a nurse she came home after the first day and said that she was the only person who knew how to was their hands properly.  If you watch any medical professional you will see that it is not just a cursory splash of soap and water, it takes several minutes.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

It is definitely better to wash your hand thoroughly than to use gel but unfortunately most people do not wash their hand properly.  My mum was a nurse and taught us how to wash our hands in the same way that she did at work.  When my sister started training as a nurse she came home after the first day and said that she was the only person who knew how to was their hands properly.  If you watch any medical professional you will see that it is not just a cursory splash of soap and water, it takes several minutes.

When I worked in a hospital in an administrative role we had a mandatory hand washing assessment every year. All clinical and non clinical staff had to take part. We had to wash our hands in a solution then put them in a machine which showed up all the areas we may have missed. It was a wake up call especially when you think you are thorough. I am sure every hospital is the same. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, terry2 said:

Well given that  BS EN 14476 certification means that it contains anti-viral ingredients and is required to kill  (amongst other viruses)  Poliovirus, Norovirus, Influenza A and adenovirus.   I would rather go for one that meets that spec rather than one that doesn't .  

Please feel free to show evidence that any product that is safe to use on the human body kills human norovirus.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stephenSJ said:

Capt annouced 6pm yesterday that noro level now back to normal and extra measures now halted 

It would probably be more pragmatic to maintain the extra measures than wait until the next wave strikes and then put them back.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

It would probably be more pragmatic to maintain the extra measures than wait until the next wave strikes and then put them back.

I would tend to agree Phil, certainly having had the dubious ‘pleasure’ of experiencing Norovirus first hand last year. Must confess I also stumbled over the word ‘normal’, does that mean they always expect a certain number of cases?

10 minutes ago, Grandad John said:

I would tend to agree Phil, certainly having had the dubious ‘pleasure’ of experiencing Norovirus first hand last year. Must confess I also stumbled over the word ‘normal’, does that mean they always expect a certain number of cases?

I would think they do, same as in schools and hospitals. Fail to plan, plan to fail. I was reading a few reports recently and it is expected that in an 80 year lifespan the average for getting norovirus is five times. So I pity the poor sods that have had mine and Mrs YP's share so far. I was also surprised as to how many people actually die from noro, albeit many have other health issues.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

I would think they do, same as in schools and hospitals. Fail to plan, plan to fail. I was reading a few reports recently and it is expected that in an 80 year lifespan the average for getting norovirus is five times. So I pity the poor sods that have had mine and Mrs YP's share so far. I was also surprised as to how many people actually die from noro, albeit many have other health issues.

Think on the ships there's a  number of cases that prompts them to organise a deep clean etc from what I read last week

• 5 months later...
On 11/22/2023 at 3:38 AM, davecttr said:

Just had an email from P&O. They are delaying the boarding times for Ventura on Thursday by 2.5 hours. Gastro Intestinal reports on the previous, current? cruise. i suppose it means a deep clean. My boarding time was 12.15 and is now 14.45 so no Peninsular lunch and I have to leave the hotel at noon. It is going to be chaotic and I think the revised boarding times may not be realistic. 😟

Seems there was no virus on board when the last cruise left?

5 hours ago, simonicawot said:

Seems there was no virus on board when the last cruise left?

Welcome to cruise critic. 

This is an old thread with the last post being in November 2023 so in terms of any issues with Noro, it is out of date information.

Are you cruising on Ventura in the near future? If so I’m sure there is nothing to be concerned about, P&O are usually very quick to get on top of any issues like this.

4 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Welcome to cruise critic. 

This is an old thread with the last post being in November 2023 so in terms of any issues with Noro, it is out of date information.

Are you cruising on Ventura in the near future? If so I’m sure there is nothing to be concerned about, P&O are usually very quick to get on top of any issues like this.

The Southampton Daily echo has a report dated 4/5/24 stating that there has been a Norovirus outbreak on Ventura (allegedly confirmed by a P&O spokesperson).  Ventura did arrive and depart yesterday as the article states. 

12 minutes ago, crompton21 said:

The Southampton Daily echo has a report dated 4/5/24 stating that there has been a Norovirus outbreak on Ventura (allegedly confirmed by a P&O spokesperson).  Ventura did arrive and depart yesterday as the article states. 

Boarding was delayed while they did a deep clean

On 11/26/2023 at 8:03 AM, Winifred 22 said:

When I worked in a hospital in an administrative role we had a mandatory hand washing assessment every year. All clinical and non clinical staff had to take part. We had to wash our hands in a solution then put them in a machine which showed up all the areas we may have missed. It was a wake up call especially when you think you are thorough. I am sure every hospital is the same. 

Me too.   Still do.   Every year.

9 hours ago, showingdiva said:

Me too.   Still do.   Every year.

I remember my sister mentioning that, she was a midwife in the hospital and the last thing you would want is norovirus in a maternity ward.