Fixed Dining Questions for new cruiser

mnmama43

Hello always help and awesome community! I got a lot of incredibly helpful information when I asked about Alaskan excursions so I'm asking another question!

We will have a 7 day south-bound Alaskan cruise booked for July '24 booked. We will be on the Noordam.  Our TA put us down for the fixed dining first seating so I'm wondering how that all works. We are going with my brother and sister in-law as well and they have the same dining time. Here's the questions:

• can or should we ask to always sit with more than just the 4 of us? How many could we be seated with? Both my hub and I are pretty out-going and look forward to meeting new people.
  • what happens on nights when we have an excursion that ends later?
  • or what about a night we want to eat somewhere else, like doing room service for a quiet night or making a rez at Pinnacle or wherever?
  • Would we even do fixed dining? We all have Club Orange or are Neptune suite level so there is something I believe about a 'separate' MDR line?

Thanks every one in advance!!!!

Fixed dining is to an assigned table at an assigned time usually quite early around 5:30 for the early seating.  Many like this option as you can be finished dining for the first theater show.  The first day the maitre de will be available for you to state what size dining group you prefer from 2 to 8. Remember if things work out oddly you can request another table.  

If you want to meet new people every night you would be better served by anytime dining rather than fixed dining. With this option you go to the dining room at anytime and request seating alone or seating with others. of course timing is everything with this option. 

I like fixed dining as your waiters get to know you and what you prefer.  You will also get to know your table mates very well.  If you choose to not dine there for a night for whatever reason it is polite to mention it to the maitre de or senior waiter. I will often stop by at lunch to let them know I have other plans.  You can also call by phone as well. 

someone with more experience can help you with Club Orange. 

Edited by Mary229

You should link your dining reservation with your brother and sister in law so you will be assigned a table together.  Fixed seating means you sit at the same table every night.  Club Orange line isn't needed because you just go to "your" assigned table.  If you want to sit at a table for six people let the MDR know and they will assign you to such with two other folks.  Same people every night.

I personally don't like to sit at a table for eight because you can't really hear the conversation at the other end of that table so it usually ends up with two conversations going at once.  Same for a large round 8 person table.  

Oops.....typing at the same time as @Mary229!!

~Nancy

Edited by oakridger
  • Like 1

As noted above, fixed seating is the same time, table, and people every night, unless someone decides to eat elsewhere. 
On the Noordam, since there is no separate Club Orange dining room, you will get a menu with the additional Club Orange selection on it. 

Your Travel agent should be both linking your booking with your relatives, and (s)he should also be asking what size table you want and requesting that as well. It's much easier to get your preferred table size when requested in advance than left to requesting it the day you board. 

• Like 2

Personally,  I would perhaps switch to anytime dining in your situation - traveling with friends and Neptune.

Get your Neptune concierge to make dinner reservations for you each day, once you decide on where, when and how you want that evening to work out.   Talk to the concierge about your plans and see how flexible you can be or how much time he needs to make things work out.

We love late fixed ourselves - seems more "formal" at that time and we love having the same wait staff through out the entire cruise.  As well as getting to know people sitting around us, though we always get a table for two. 

• Like 1

And of course you do not have to sit with strangers if you don't want to.  Many (perhaps most) people only sit with their traveling group, so for you that would a table for just the 4 of you.  If you are in a Neptune Suite or have Club Orange, I would recommend anytime dining; there will be a separate line for you and the wait for a table will be minimal.  Or as suggested, you can ask the Neptune Lounge concierge to make a reservation for you.

5 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

With Club Orange, I would go with Anytime dining as there is a separate line with usually no waiting to be seated.  

There's no waiting to be seated with the fixed dining they are interested in. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, RuthC said:

There's no waiting to be seated with the fixed dining they are interested in. 

I think the OP was considering the best option for dinner for a party of 4 and wanting to meet new people at dinner.  Thus, Open (IMO) is a better option if you have CLub Orange as you really do not have a wait to be seated (most times) given the separate podium, plus you can request whatever size table you want for that evening (some days you might want just 4, others 6-10).

Just my 2 cents worth.....if you use open seating and then meet people during the day, you can always ask them to sit with you at dinner if they also have the open seating. This has worked well with us in the past as we make friends throughout the day!

• Like 1