Jonathan 'Cookie' Adams resigns

jsglow

CDs have never made cruises for us, but they sure can break them. He was in the "break" category for us. 

We had him for a few cruises over the years and his announcements were like nails on a chalkboard to me. "This is your cousin C-C-C-C-C-C-Cookie..." Like the Exorcist scene where Reagan spins her head and vomits pea soup, this is forever etched in my memory banks.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, canes20 said:

giphy.gif

Obviously you're not a CD guy either. He's one of Carnival's most senior; currently assigned on Mardi Gras. He's seemingly not even finishing his contract that extends until 2/3/24.

57 minutes ago, jsglow said:

Obviously you're not a CD guy either. He's one of Carnival's most senior; currently assigned on Mardi Gras. He's seemingly not even finishing his contract that extends until 2/3/24.

Correct. I don’t think I remember the name of one CD that made an impact. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I assume it has something to do with the TikTok that went around over the last week where he made some joke about 'jump overboard if you aren't having a good time' at a deck party.  Carnival may take offense to that since it seems to happen a good bit.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ray98 said:

I assume it has something to do with the TikTok that went around over the last week where he made some joke about 'jump overboard if you aren't having a good time' at a deck party.  Carnival may take offense to that since it seems to happen a good bit.

If he did indeed make that joke, then yes, termination is warranted.

• Like 5

I don't like him.  He was a jerk to me when he was on the fun squad on the Legend in 2017.  I wasn't participating in the trivia, but I was listening while waiting for everyone to leave.  I pointed out after the game that one of the correct answers was wrong.  He refused to acknowledge that the official answer could be wrong, and he was rude in the process.

That was also his last cruise on the fun squad.

• Like 2

I was never on a cruise with Cookie, but I have heard of him and know a lot of people really liked him. My favorite CD ever was Chris Williams "The Flying Scotsman" and he just announced in the past couple weeks that he's leaving Carnival too. 

31 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

If he did indeed make that joke, then yes, termination is warranted.

Wow. Agreed.

Now I will say that in his FB post announcing his departure (seemingly effective immediately beginning with tomorrow's cruise) he indicated 2 things: 1) he wasn't terminated and 2) he didn't know what the future held for him.

I don't want to get too far down any HR path but it is possible that by 'voluntarily' leaving he retained some financial incentive such as his accrued bonus or something. I suppose we'll never know.

Edited by jsglow
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, jsglow said:

I don't want to get too far down any HR path but it is possible that by 'voluntarily' leaving he retained some financial incentive such as his accrued bonus or something. I suppose we'll never know.

Indeed, probably a case of "if we fire you we have to admit why and make a big uncomfortable deal out of something stupid you said, so how about you 'resign', keep some benefits/bonuses, and we all put this behind us?"

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, MisterOJ2 said:

I was never on a cruise with Cookie, but I have heard of him and know a lot of people really liked him. My favorite CD ever was Chris Williams "The Flying Scotsman" and he just announced in the past couple weeks that he's leaving Carnival too. 

Chris isn't leaving Carnival. He is just being promoted to Fleet Cruise Director. He will be training other new CDs and developing new programs, etc... He will be more land based.

Edited by stobe1
  • Like 2

Yeah you have to be careful what you say or do anymore in public. Always assume you are being recorded since EVERYONE has a camera in their hand these days. And someone will be offended no matter what you say or do.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ray98 said:

Yup....I would assume any references to that would be completely off limits.  That is plaguing Carnival.

Well, it's a bad thing to say on any cruise line.

2 minutes ago, stobe1 said:

Yeah you have to be careful what you say or do anymore in public. Always assume you are being recorded since EVERYONE has a camera in their hand these days. And someone will be offended no matter what you say or do.

I do feel for the guy. Obviously the only possible decision but damn, but for the grace of God there go any of us who ever said anything 'stupid'. All I can say is that we all make mistakes. Best wishes Cookie.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, jsglow said:

Well, it's a bad thing to say on any cruise line.

I do feel for the guy. Obviously the only possible decision but damn, but for the grace of God there go any of us who ever said anything 'stupid'. All I can say is that we all make mistakes. Best wishes Cookie.

I 100% agree. Every last one of us has said and done something off color that we all regret. Anyone that says they haven't is lying to themselves. I feel bad for him also.

Unfortunately, the social media cancel culture backlash will come for you if you happen to get caught. No one is immune. And by "you" I didn't mean "you", just "you" in general. 😄

Edited by stobe1
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, stobe1 said:

Unfortunately, the social media cancel culture backlash will come for you if you happen to get caught. No one is immune.

I guess the only thing I disagree with is that I don't view this as a 'cancel culture' issue. He got two feet totally out of bounds with that documented comment. He didn't make some slightly off color joke that the 'perpetually offended' crowd needs to relax about.

• Like 5

Just now, jsglow said:

I guess the only thing I disagree with is that I don't view this as a 'cancel culture' issue. He got two feet totally out of bounds with that documented comment. He didn't make some slightly off color joke that the 'perpetually offended' crowd needs to relax about.

Yeah I wasnt implying that here. I was more trying to link it to my previous comment about always assume you are on camera and being recorded. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stobe1 said:

Yeah I wasnt implying that here. I was more trying to link it to my previous comment about always assume you are on camera and being recorded. 

Especially in that job. I'm sure he feels terrible. Hopefully in a couple years another cruise line can give him a second shot. And again, we're assuming a lot here but it sure all fits, doesn't it?

1 minute ago, shof515 said:

i am surprised the lido sound system is that loud that you can hear it from land. i know on the ship they always have it blasting loud but did not expect you can hear from where they are in that clip

A couple of years ago we went down to the banks of the Mississippi to watch Glory sail away, one day before we left ourselves on Valor. My wife did the dance steps onshore during the party as the ship passed by! 💃

• Like 1
  • Haha 1