Jonathan 'Cookie' Adams resigns

jsglow

3 minutes ago, shof515 said:

i am surprised the lido sound system is that loud that you can hear it from land. i know on the ship they always have it blasting loud but did not expect you can hear from where they are in that clip

Im sure the sound was recorded on board and they used existing video of the ship from land and just overlayed the sound over the video. Im no TikTok expert but I think thats what happened here. This happens with TikTok and YouTube videos all the time. 

I seem to always be in the minority. I don't like Cousin Cookie and add me to the list of one (now two yay) who found his catchphrase to be like nails on a chalkboard.

I also think that yes, this is cancel culture out of control. It was an off color remark, but it was one incident that led to someone with a lengthy and distinguished career being ended overnight. Sad.

Maybe there is more to the story and this was a pattern of behavior. Maybe it had nothing to do with what we are speculating. But if this was all it takes to get someone fired, no wonder entertainers are so scared to offend. 

I don't find it funny, but I don't it offensive in any way and would never think "hey this is offensive and I should not say it.". It's clearly not meant to be taken seriously. Again, I don't find it funny, but I don't find it offensive either.

If you do take it seriously, and find it offensive, that is your protected free speech. I wish comedians still had theirs.

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, stobe1 said:

Im sure the sound was recorded on board and they used existing video of the ship from land and just overlayed the sound over the video. Im no TikTok expert but I think thats what happened here. This happens with TikTok and YouTube videos all the time. 

No, that sounds like it was recorded from Fishlips or Rusty's or some other restaurant along the channel there in Port Canaveral - you can hear the wind crackling in the mic.  And yeah, you can definitely hear the Lido announcements as the ship goes by.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

No, that sounds like it was recorded from Fishlips or Rusty's or some other restaurant along the channel there in Port Canaveral - you can hear the wind crackling in the mic.  And yeah, you can definitely hear the Lido announcements as the ship goes by.

🤷 

Maybe except Mardi Gras uses the new pier and doesn't sail past Fishlips or those restaurants in that area. The turning basin she uses is before those areas if I recall correctly

Edited by stobe1
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, MisterOJ2 said:

I was never on a cruise with Cookie, but I have heard of him and know a lot of people really liked him. My favorite CD ever was Chris Williams "The Flying Scotsman" and he just announced in the past couple weeks that he's leaving Carnival too. 

I have a Celebration cruise beginning the last weekend in January. Chris Williams is on the most current Carnival CD List (as of a few days).  Sorry to hear this news. I actually notice the CD’s. Guess it’s from the days when our son was a member of Fun Squad. One of the guys he worked with, Alex, was promoted to CD. Nice guy too!

🛳️🛳️

Bobbi

• Like 1

17 hours ago, canes20 said:

Correct. I don’t think I remember the name of one CD that made an impact. 

Aloha. Having been blessed to sail for decades I never remember the names of Captains, CDs etc. I respect that many contributors to these boards seem very into who they are but have been pleased with all of them.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, jam19872016 said:

I also think that yes, this is cancel culture out of control. It was an off color remark, but it was one incident that led to someone with a lengthy and distinguished career being ended overnight. Sad.

I have never sailed with him, but if this truly is the sole cause of his dismissal, I feel it is an overreaction.  He could have been asked to issue a public apology, something to the effect that it was a poor choice of words and he got caught up in the moment.  Had he made a racist or sexist or homophobic comment, I would have seen that differently.

• Like 5

19 hours ago, canes20 said:

Correct. I don’t think I remember the name of one CD that made an impact.

The only CD's that I remember are the ones that I can't remember. In the end they are all like the ringmaster at that circus that you went to as a kid who wound up the audience for the stuff you really wanted to see, the Lions and Tigers and Bears(and Elephants too of course)!

Screenshot2023-11-25085801.png.4d63639175381f139b53e358baa53690.png

• Like 1

So JH had to interrupt his weekend to speak to the issue today with numerous polls and missives. Typical 'corporate speak' wishing Cookie well, announcing the CD for this week who is seemingly just a guy from the Fun Squad onboard, and then announcing that Jacky Tang will be finishing out Cookie's contract with more 'fabulous' announcements to come.

I'm sure that was a fun phone call to get from HQ.

'Um, sure I'd like to come back to work after just finishing my last contract and miss Christmas with my family! No problem.'

More evidence that this wasn't voluntary at all. I must say that I'm close to the line thinking that a public apology might have been enough. It does seem like Carnival didn't want 'choppy seas' on this one.  God's speed Jonathan.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Markmom18 said:

I have a Celebration cruise beginning the last weekend in January. Chris Williams is on the most current Carnival CD List (as of a few days).  Sorry to hear this news. I actually notice the CD’s. Guess it’s from the days when our son was a member of Fun Squad. One of the guys he worked with, Alex, was promoted to CD. Nice guy too!

🛳️🛳️

Bobbi

If I remember correctly he was a in the band at one time @Marksmok.  I remember years before the pandemic you were telling us he was working on one of the ships.

5 hours ago, ledges1 said:

I was on a cruise with Cookie in Oct of 2022. I thought he was ok.  My daughter was on a cruise with him in May and he told people on that cruise he wanted a career  change. 

He said the same thing during a Q&A the last time I cruised with him, but this seems to be an abrupt way to do it. I'm pretty sure there's a lot more to this that we may never know unless something leaks out. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rudyard said:

He said the same thing during a Q&A the last time I cruised with him, but this seems to be an abrupt way to do it. I'm pretty sure there's a lot more to this that we may never know unless something leaks out. 

I am sure being a CD is a hard job. 24/7 for months on end having to deal with coordinating and being at events and venues all day and having to deal with people all day. Plus there are only so many times you can do the wobble. Plus dealing with the chaos of boarding and disembarkation every cruise. And always being approachable and with a smile regardless of how you feel or what kind of mood you are in. It wears on you, for sure.

I would probably last about an hour in that role before I said the hell with it and quit.

• Like 3

On 11/24/2023 at 9:12 AM, jsglow said:

I'm not a cruise director guy, but Jonathan announced his resignation today.

I read this announcement: Adams announced on social media. “This was a decision made by me for me. No I wasn’t fired, no I wasn’t forced to do it, I decided after 9 years of giving myself to everyone around me it’s now time to focus on me and what I want for my next chapter.” 

3 hours ago, MeganGC1983 said:

On IG, Cookie just posted photos of him and 3 other CDs: Frankie, Andy and Leon. They apparently met him at the airport to say goodbye.

We are currently on Celebration and during the platinum/diamond party our CD mentioned Cookie's retirement, and these 2 driving out the airport when they heard. It did sound abrupt/unexpected, but no details.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, csm5986142 said:

It did sound abrupt/unexpected, but no details.

Hey it's a job/career change for whatever reason. Thousands do that every day and now more than ever. We only know about it because he is a public figure within the CCL world. Unlike in past years where a company might give you a plaque, a watch, etc...for many years of service, I don't think it was worth hanging around for an engraved with his name gold plated Ship on a Stick!

Edited by Destiny0315

Loved Cookie, a breathe of realism and humor.  There is a reason he was so popular and Carnival had the surveys to prove it.  Many here may not like his Madea like way of being a CD but the customer base that loved him do not post here anyway.  Hope he finds happiness and contentment in his rather abrupt decision. 

On the topic of being a CD, it’s good that Carnival is moving to 6 month contracts per a what a CD stated on our last cruise. Better quality of life.

• Like 2

On 11/24/2023 at 2:35 PM, shof515 said:

i am surprised the lido sound system is that loud that you can hear it from land. i know on the ship they always have it blasting loud but did not expect you can hear from where they are in that clip

They have actually turned it down over the years.  Remember being in Cozumel 10 year ago thinking was thumping at the stop light…………It was our ship. LOL!

7 hours ago, rtfnl said:

If I remember correctly he was a in the band at one time @Marksmok.  I remember years before the pandemic you were telling us he was working on one of the ships.

Hi,  Mark wasn’t ever in a band, sorry, guess it was another Mark who worked for Carnival. Yes, our son worked onboard a few years before the 2020 Covid shutdown. He went back to the Fun Squad on the Panorama very briefly in 2021. But, he felt like the mask police & that too many of guests were giving the staff a hard time. The general loss of manners. He’s doing well and is working with his Dad in our family owned business - 30+ years! Mark will take it over one day. So, it all worked out.  

🛳️🛳️

Bobbi

• Like 3