Westbound transatlantic (Europe to US): port or starboard cabin?

Looking at a westbound TA from Europe to the U.S.  We haven't done a TA before, but I'm assuming -- based on my middle school science, LOL -- that balcony cabins on the starboard side wouldn't get as much (or any??) sun and the port side balconies would be in the sun most of the time. Is that correct? There are available cabins on both sides, so I'm just trying to figure out my options. 

Edited by Kellie in Texas
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Kellie in Texas said:

Looking at a westbound TA from Europe to the U.S.  We haven't done a TA before, but I'm assuming -- based on my middle school science, LOL -- that balcony cabins on the starboard side wouldn't get as much (or any??) sun and the port side balconies would be in the sun most of the time. Is that correct? There are available cabins on both sides, so I'm just trying to figure out my options. 

Yes, sun just on the Portside.  It does get hot through the slider door. Starboard is very cold as nothing heats up throughout the day.  We have done several Westbound TA'S and have always had a Portside balcony, luckily we have always had great weather and calm seas. A few cool and rainy days as you leave the Med but warms up quick for the last 8-10 days. Westbound gives you 6-8 25 hour days. Most of our TA'S have been on Oasis Class which is awesome when there are only a dozen or so kids. happy cruising. This is based on cruising to in FL as opposed to NY.

• Like 1

We just did the westbound TA on Odyssey and I chose a cabin on the port side specifically for the sun. Since these cruises typically are when weather is changing from the humid summer, we found that we were able to keep the balcony door open all afternoon and let in the beautiful sounds of the ocean. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

I've been on 10 TAs and never paid any attention to which side when booking.  My next west to east (Spring) is port side and my next east to west (Fall) is starboard side.  😄

Same here. Every TA we've booked there's been no consideration for which side of the ship we are on because its the same view on both sides, bar the odd oil tanker 😁

Also, the "sunset on our balcony" factor doesn't come into play, because at 6pm, we're in Schooner Bar busting Trivia 😄

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Galveston Cruiser said:

We have sailed 19 TA;s,  Port side going east to west and starboard going west to east for sun.  Also protected from any north winds should that occur.

Exactly. Must have a room on the “sunny” side of the ship otherwise you are in shade the whole way.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Kellie in Texas said:

As long as you have no issue with medication that restricts your being in sunlight, then port side for the sun is fine.  It does, however, get hot out there as you approach the Bahamas.

• Like 1

@LooneyCruzer we had an aft junior suite on Serenade in June 2022 in Alaska and it was definitely amazing and something I will "aspire to" on every future cruise, as long as we can afford it. 😄

To all who have taken time to respond, thank you. I have very flexible leave time from my job but DH is more limited, so we're going to have to wait another year or two until he, at least, retires. We were looking at a 16-day from Amsterdam to Boston, which would end up being a few more days with pre- and post-cruise activities. Oh well, it's something to dream and plan for.