Ovation of the Seas cruise to New Zealand experiencing multiple itinerary changes

DT1304

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

If I lived on Sydney Harbour I wouldn't want any more big ships blocking my view.  Other places throughout the world, the big ships disembark at an ocean port, only small ships go up river.  

Sydney Harbour is an ocean port, the bridge is what limits how far the ships can go, not the water depth. Having large ships coming into it is natural, that is why having another terminal within the harbour is logical. However, at what cost and where, no one will want it in their view. They could do many things and have the terminal in any number of the bays but the infrastructure to service the terminal by land as in roads and transport, isn't  available or viable.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Sydney Harbour is an ocean port, the bridge is what limits how far the ships can go, not the water depth. Having large ships coming into it is natural, that is why having another terminal within the harbour is logical. However, at what cost and where, no one will want it in their view. They could do many things and have the terminal in any number of the bays but the infrastructure to service the terminal by land as in roads and transport, isn't  available or viable.

I didn't realise just how much big ships block locals views until we had a waterfront picnic on the harbour front.  Got there at the crack of dawn with locals in the know, rather pleased with ourselves.  Then a ship came along and blocked everyone's view.  I don't mind them berthing at night, but I think they should be banned from just being in the harbour, during the day.  I'm sure no-one knew about how many mega ships would come into the harbour in the future. Thank goodness for the bridge which limits the size of some ships.

Venice has stopped big ships coming into their harbour as they were causing damage.  Why not berth at container ship ports like overseas, then bus tourists in to the city.  Stay overnight and spend some tourist $s in the city.  Virgin Voyages Resilient Lady is staying two nights in Sydney (and Tauranga, NZ) on my cruise in January,  (Which is why I chose the cruise.)

9 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I didn't realise just how much big ships block locals views until we had a waterfront picnic on the harbour front.  Got there at the crack of dawn with locals in the know, rather pleased with ourselves.  Then a ship came along and blocked everyone's view.  I don't mind them berthing at night, but I think they should be banned from just being in the harbour, during the day.  I'm sure no-one knew about how many mega ships would come into the harbour in the future. Thank goodness for the bridge which limits the size of some ships.

Venice has stopped big ships coming into their harbour as they were causing damage.  Why not berth at container ship ports like overseas, then bus tourists in to the city.  Stay overnight and spend some tourist $s in the city.  Virgin Voyages Resilient Lady is staying two nights in Sydney (and Tauranga, NZ) on my cruise in January,  (Which is why I chose the cruise.)

I think the Virgin ship will be blocking the views as well but 2 days and a night.