Zero cars available at the port on February 23, 2024?

Greytgrey

2 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I'll second this.  We rented a car once in Grand Cayman, and it was an underwhelming experience.  If memory serves: 

- We reserved ahead of time and walked to the "pick up spot".  The car rental people picked us up in a van, which was overcrowded.  As I was the smallest, I ended up sitting on the floor between the middle seat and the sliding door.  (We were with a big-name car rental, but this is how things go on the islands.) 

- Once we got to the rental place, which was only a few miles away, we had to wait to get our car.  Lots of other people were doing the same thing. 

- We visited just after a hurricane, and many street signs were knocked down.  We drove around and around ... admittedly, neither of us was born with a sense of direction.  We ended up returning the car early and going back to the ship.  

After this, we sometimes walk around port just seeing what we can see, but we're not really fans of renting cars in port.  We rode the city bus in Aruba and found it a good experience ... and inexpensive!  As a bonus, I handed over American dollars, and my coin-collecting husband was thrilled to get back foreign coins.  Anyway, great way to get to Eagle Beach.  We'd do that again in a heartbeat.  

Sorry you had that experience, especially in the van!

We drive in GCM and have never had a problem. But with signs down it can be more difficult. The reason renting there makes so much sense, for us at least, is it is the only way to get to our favorite areas like the north side (Rum Point) and the east end without paying $$$$ for a taxi. But if you are staying in town or on SMB you can get by with the buses as they are excellent.

I say I have never had a problem, that isn’t totally true…The car we rented has the wheel on the right, and of course you drive on the left. My wife kept telling me to get away from the curb…And when I went to use the turn signal the wipers came on 😄

Driving on the left in other islands like STT is easy, “shoulder to the shoulder”. But with the wheel on the passenger side, well my passengers got their laughs every day…☺️