Zero cars available at the port on February 23, 2024?

Greytgrey

I'm looking at renting a car for the day we're in port. Nothing is coming up anywhere but the airport, which would require a taxi ride and more complication than I was hoping for. Is it possible that every car is already booked from the rental facilities around the port? I've not done this before, so I don't know whether I'm missing something. Thanks!

15 hours ago, Greytgrey said:

I'm looking at renting a car for the day we're in port. Nothing is coming up anywhere but the airport, which would require a taxi ride and more complication than I was hoping for. Is it possible that every car is already booked from the rental facilities around the port? I've not done this before, so I don't know whether I'm missing something. Thanks!

We used Fiesta car rental at the international pier in July.  We've also done the airport rentals as well without difficulty.

• Thanks 1

If you are just in Cozumel for the day, I wouldn't rent a car.  Use taxis, they are cheap and reliable.  Plus you don't have to worry about one-way roads and potholes and gas... its just not worth the hassle there.  The taxis can get you almost anywhere and back.

On 11/29/2023 at 4:14 PM, Greytgrey said:

I also wouldn’t personally advise it but I find it very unlikely they are sold out. However you don’t state which port you will be at so difficult to know closest reliable rental locations.

Be sure to do your homework regarding insurance and liabilities and have access to a substantial amount of cash in case of problems. Take your passport with you.

It probably depends on how you are searching and which port you are at as far as options.

Edited by c-leg5

3 hours ago, ABQrobin said:

If you are just in Cozumel for the day, I wouldn't rent a car.  Use taxis, they are cheap and reliable.  Plus you don't have to worry about one-way roads and potholes and gas... its just not worth the hassle there.  The taxis can get you almost anywhere and back.

We've taken taxis before, but don't really have a destination; we were just going to tool around.

24 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

I also wouldn’t personally advise it but I find it very unlikely they are sold out. However you don’t state which port you will be at so difficult to know closest reliable rental locations.

Be sure to do your homework regarding insurance and liabilities and have access to a substantial amount of cash in case of problems. Take your passport with you.

It probably depends on how you are searching and which port you are at as far as options.

Sorry. We'll be at Puerta Maya. I already talked to my insurance and understand that I have to buy 750,000 Mexican Pesos in liability. Also, I've read to take a copy of the passport and not the actual passport because if local police end up in possession of your passport, it can be dicey.

I did end up finding some vehicles at some smaller places I just found by looking at Google maps. Most of them are standard transmission, which is fine with me because I can drive a stick.

The big thing IS that with the extra insurance, it's approaching $150 and might not be worth it to me. 

Thanks for everyone's input!

Have you contacted ISIS Rentadora? They have been our go-to rental outfit for years. Great service and staff.

https://www.facebook.com/rentadoraISIS

https://isiscarrental.rcom/cozumel-rates/

We drive in the Riviera Maya while living here, and we always feel more at ease when driving Coz. Of course obey all laws, and carry your ORIGINAL passport whenever in public. And use their liability and CDW coverage. Some visitors use their credit card CDW, which is fine asking as you have their letter of coverage, AND access to $thousands in the event of an accident.

We do not add more coverage, but you can if you feel a need to?

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Greytgrey said:

We've taken taxis before, but don't really have a destination; we were just going to tool around.

Sorry. We'll be at Puerta Maya. I already talked to my insurance and understand that I have to buy 750,000 Mexican Pesos in liability. Also, I've read to take a copy of the passport and not the actual passport because if local police end up in possession of your passport, it can be dicey.

I did end up finding some vehicles at some smaller places I just found by looking at Google maps. Most of them are standard transmission, which is fine with me because I can drive a stick.

The big thing IS that with the extra insurance, it's approaching $150 and might not be worth it to me. 

Carrying a photocopy or e-copy of your passport is asking for trouble. That is terrible advice. I read that from tourists and I cringe knowing how stupid that is. Do you think that a foreigner in the US would actually carry a copy of their passport or immigration papers? 🤷🏼

Always carry your original ID when in public…

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

You need access to cash only if you decline the CDW coverage offered by the rental agency. Some visitors feel smarter because they choose to use their credit card coverage rather than the rental coverage to save a few $$. That is fine, as long as you carry the bank’s letter of coverage, AND you have immediate access to $$ thousands in the event of an accident (credit/debit/cash).

Without the rental agency’s collision coverage, you pay out of pocket, and file a claim with your credit card bank’s insurer later. So you cannot leave an accident scene without paying for the damage you caused.

If you just pay the quoted price from ISIS (or Fiesta I believe) you are covered. If you drive safely and don’t drink and drive you shouldn’t need optional insurance coverage, but that is always a choice…

You must use their liability insurance, of course.

Definitely agree - Carry your ORIGINAL passport when off the ship!

Edited by blue_water
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, ABQrobin said:

Actually Coz is very easy to drive and the main roads are nice. obey all laws, and do not rink and drive. And always carry your ORIGINAL passport when off the ship, regardless of what your are doing.

Taxis are expensive, especially for out of town trips. If you don’t want to drive, find others on your Roll Call forum with similar interests and share the cost of a private transfer/driver!

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Greytgrey said:

An additional $45 - 50k USD in liability coverage?! That sounds like overkill, but you need to feel comfortable. Of course you could theoretically find yourself charged in a fatal accident, so adequate coverage is important.

Obviously you want to obey the laws, and don’t drink and drive. 

Using a taxi to tour the island would be pricey. If you opt not to drive, look for others on your Roll Call who might be interested in sharing the cost of a private driver 😉

And you definitely want to carry your ORIGINAL passport whenever you leave the port area. Carrying photocopy or e-copy is absolutely terrible advice! Especially today…

Edited by blue_water

17 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

I need to correct my earlier reply to you! Any traveler should have access to at least $5000 - $10,000 in the event of a medical or other emergency. 100% agree with that. Even if you have Primary medical/medivac trip insurance, you still need to cover initial out of pocket expenses before the insurer steps in.

Using a rental car outfit’s insurance coverages, you don’t need access to the same amount you would need access to if you declined their CDW to use your credit card insurance. 

just wanted to clarify that! ☺️

Edited by blue_water

20 minutes ago, blue_water said:

Actually Coz is very easy to drive and the main roads are nice. obey all laws, and do not rink and drive. And always carry your ORIGINAL passport when off the ship, regardless of what your are doing.

Taxis are expensive, especially for out of town trips. If you don’t want to drive, find others on your Roll Call forum with similar interests and share the cost of a private transfer/driver!

I understand you have more experience than us in this respect locally. My husband has rented cars and driven in many countries of the world but he wouldn’t rent in Mexico and especially not when on a cruise ship for the day, and time of return is of the essence. I have read many reports and spoken with locals and it just isn’t worth the risk to us. Obviously everyone has different ideas and must reach their own decision that they are comfortable with.

I agree actual driving on Cozumel is easy (outside of San Miguel) but when we are on vacation we do want to sightsee and have the opportunity to drink at local bars so having a driver is a no brainer for us.

• Like 1

No I totally understand! We usually get “stuck” showing friends and family the sights, and I’m just used to driving here after years of “practice”. But renting - and especially driving - does pose risks, and you really need to do some research. I say I feel so much more relaxed driving Coz, but that is just because the drivers in the Riviera Maya are so nuts!

For the OP and others considering that for the first time, we all just share our experiences, but I should stress that driving here in Mexico is very different, and if you have a problem and are not fluent in Spanish, well you are at a disadvantage.

Hiring a driver does give you the freedom to enjoy a couple drinks and not be concerned about driving, and I agree that is THE best choice!

Edited by blue_water

On 12/2/2023 at 10:37 AM, blue_water said:

And you definitely want to carry your ORIGINAL passport whenever you leave the port area. Carrying photocopy or e-copy is absolutely terrible advice! Especially today…

Care to elaborate? I travel overseas frequently and almost never carry my passport around with me. Usually it's locked up safely in the hotel safe. Is this advice specific to driving a rental car in Mexico? Because otherwise I don't agree at all. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, gordiej said:

Care to elaborate? I travel overseas frequently and almost never carry my passport around with me. Usually it's locked up safely in the hotel safe. Is this advice specific to driving a rental car in Mexico? Because otherwise I don't agree at all. 

No, it is specific to being in public - on foot or in any vehicle. It is common knowledge here for frequent visitors and long-term visitors. Although I cannot imagine a foreigner carrying a passport copy in the US or any other country…Just asking for trouble IMHO…

I can say that during our first 20+ years visiting here we and everyone carried photocopies or e-copies. That was then… Today INM expects foreigners to carry their original immigration papers. There was a recent period of stronger enforcement where pedestrians in towns, ADO buses, transfer vans, taxis and private vehicles were stopped and many who did not have their original official passport were delayed.

That crackdown was aimed at digital nomads and illegals, but tourists were affected, and some were unhappily detained. No longer reading about that, and you may be just fine with a copy- or nothing, but we wouldn’t risk that. 

The fact that you don’t agree is irrelevant and not a concern to me, everyone makes their own choice! I’m just taking the time to educate those who aren’t aware of the requirement to carry your official, original passport because they read otherwise on these forums. 😄

6 minutes ago, blue_water said:

No, it is specific to being in public - on foot or in any vehicle. It is common knowledge here for frequent visitors and long-term visitors. Although I cannot imagine a foreigner carrying a passport copy in the US or any other country…Just asking for trouble IMHO…

I can say that during our first 20+ years visiting here we and everyone carried photocopies or e-copies. That was then… Today INM expects foreigners to carry their original immigration papers. There was a recent period of stronger enforcement where pedestrians in towns, ADO buses, transfer vans, taxis and private vehicles were stopped and many who did not have their original official passport were delayed.

That crackdown was aimed at digital nomads and illegals, but tourists were affected, and some were unhappily detained. No longer reading about that, and you may be just fine with a copy- or nothing, but we wouldn’t risk that. 

The fact that you don’t agree is irrelevant and not a concern to me, everyone makes their own choice! I’m just taking the time to educate those who aren’t aware of the requirement to carry your official, original passport because they read otherwise on these forums. 😄

+1

14 minutes ago, blue_water said:

I see. You're sort of talking specifically about Mexico. 

Unless the cruise line advises me to take my passport with me (I don't think they do), or I know I will need it (per the car rental agency), it's staying in the safe. 

But apparently I've hit upon a topic that has no agreement, with strong opinions on both sides, so I'll just leave it at that.

9 hours ago, gordiej said:

I see. You're sort of talking specifically about Mexico. 

Unless the cruise line advises me to take my passport with me (I don't think they do), or I know I will need it (per the car rental agency), it's staying in the safe. 

But apparently I've hit upon a topic that has no agreement, with strong opinions on both sides, so I'll just leave it at that.

Opinions are just that, facts are what matter. But no worries, you are your own guide! ☺️

And the cruise line and car rental agency have nothing to do with immigration requirements, that’s obviously a government policy here and everywhere. And of course you’d be out of luck in any cruise port if you missed the ship and your original passport was on board…So it’s a matter of choice as long as you don’t need it…

I just scanned through the link you shared (missed that earlier) and I see it is another thread with opinions and that just adds to the confusion no matter what port…

Edited by blue_water

On 12/5/2023 at 8:54 AM, blue_water said:

Opinions are just that, facts are what matter. But no worries, you are your own guide! ☺️

That's cute. It doesn't bother me either if you insist on waiting for the "walk" sign before crossing the street. Safe travels.

• Haha 1

On 12/2/2023 at 10:03 AM, blue_water said:

Have you contacted ISIS Rentadora? They have been our go-to rental outfit for years. Great service and staff.

https://www.facebook.com/rentadoraISIS

https://isiscarrental.rcom/cozumel-rates/

We drive in the Riviera Maya while living here, and we always feel more at ease when driving Coz. Of course obey all laws, and carry your ORIGINAL passport whenever in public. And use their liability and CDW coverage. Some visitors use their credit card CDW, which is fine asking as you have their letter of coverage, AND access to $thousands in the event of an accident.

We do not add more coverage, but you can if you feel a need to?

Didn't the owner pass away?  We used them in the past.  Good outfit.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

Didn't the owner pass away?  We used them in the past.  Good outfit.

Margarita passed in 2021 if I remember, but the family still runs the outfit. Edgar manages the PDC office, we’ve been renting from him long-term for years…Just a very honest and supportive family at both offices…

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, gordiej said:

That's cute. It doesn't bother me either if you insist on waiting for the "walk" sign before crossing the street. Safe travels.

I’m glad you liked it! No need to thank me for the information though…

Hopefully others looking for real information -and not opinions - on what ID to carry will be a bit more appreciative. It’s really common sense that any novice traveler should know, but that doesn’t always matter of course! 🙈🙉🙊 😉🐵

Safe Travels and Best of Luck!

36 minutes ago, gordiej said:

I think you are probably missing the point but it’s OK, you will probably be alright until you are not. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/1/2023 at 2:11 PM, ABQrobin said:

I'll second this.  We rented a car once in Grand Cayman, and it was an underwhelming experience.  If memory serves: 

- We reserved ahead of time and walked to the "pick up spot".  The car rental people picked us up in a van, which was overcrowded.  As I was the smallest, I ended up sitting on the floor between the middle seat and the sliding door.  (We were with a big-name car rental, but this is how things go on the islands.) 

- Once we got to the rental place, which was only a few miles away, we had to wait to get our car.  Lots of other people were doing the same thing. 

- We visited just after a hurricane, and many street signs were knocked down.  We drove around and around ... admittedly, neither of us was born with a sense of direction.  We ended up returning the car early and going back to the ship.  

After this, we sometimes walk around port just seeing what we can see, but we're not really fans of renting cars in port.  We rode the city bus in Aruba and found it a good experience ... and inexpensive!  As a bonus, I handed over American dollars, and my coin-collecting husband was thrilled to get back foreign coins.  Anyway, great way to get to Eagle Beach.  We'd do that again in a heartbeat.