Things to do in Hilo

mh5678

My May 2024 cruise on Celeberity Edge just changed to include 2 days in Hilo instead of going to Lahaina as originally planned.  Wondering if anyone has recommendations for things to do in Hilo?

Thanks!

Yes definitely interested in that. I don’t know anything about Hilo so will need to do some research. Was just looking for suggestions for excursions while the ship is docked there. Thanks for the info on the volcano.

Spend the time to research the many things to see and do in and around Hilo and up the north-east coast of the Big Island. Then rent a car for the two days. I'd suggest spending day one driving up the coast, stopping at the many beautiful spots along the way. As you'll be staying the night in Hilo, you'll be under no time pressure, so take your time to enjoy everything that this route has to offer. Then for day two, visit the Hawaii Volcanoes National Park and some of the highlights in and around Hilo.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, eyegirl said:

A few years back, we did Ricky's Tour in Hilo. It was a good tour and reasonable, too. We booked it ahead of time and he picked us up at the pier

Thanks!  I’ll check it out. 

• 1 month later...
On 12/6/2023 at 6:08 PM, Fouremco said:

Spend the time to research the many things to see and do in and around Hilo and up the north-east coast of the Big Island. Then rent a car for the two days. I'd suggest spending day one driving up the coast, stopping at the many beautiful spots along the way. As you'll be staying the night in Hilo, you'll be under no time pressure, so take your time to enjoy everything that this route has to offer. Then for day two, visit the Hawaii Volcanoes National Park and some of the highlights in and around Hilo.

Fouremco I am planning to drive Hilo to Punaluu Black Sand Beach, stopping at Volcanoes Park on the way. Chain of Craters Road looks interesting too. We are in Hilo 2 days, would do this day 1. Thoughts?

There is so much to see and do at Volcanoes National Park and along Chain of Craters Road that you could easily spend a full day there. and still not see everything of interest. If I was driving by Punalu'u beach, I'd certainly stop to take a look, but I doubt that I'd take time away from exploring the other sites to drive there. But if seeing a black sand beach and possibly some turtles appeals to you, it's certainly possible to see all three sites in one day. Just keep Punalu'u as your last place to visit, as it won't matter if you drive back to Hilo in the dark.

I envy your two days. We'll be in Hilo in October, but only for the morning. I guess they want to save on fuel by cruising back to Vancouver at a slightly slower speed.

3 hours ago, Fouremco said:

There is so much to see and do at Volcanoes National Park and along Chain of Craters Road that you could easily spend a full day there. and still not see everything of interest. If I was driving by Punalu'u beach, I'd certainly stop to take a look, but I doubt that I'd take time away from exploring the other sites to drive there. But if seeing a black sand beach and possibly some turtles appeals to you, it's certainly possible to see all three sites in one day. Just keep Punalu'u as your last place to visit, as it won't matter if you drive back to Hilo in the dark.

I envy your two days. We'll be in Hilo in October, but only for the morning. I guess they want to save on fuel by cruising back to Vancouver at a slightly slower speed.

Thanks for your response Fouremeco.  I don’t drive so I booked an excursion through Viator https://www.viator.com/tours/Big-Island-of-Hawaii/Hilo-Shore-Excursion-Exclusive-Volcanoes-National-Park-and-Rainbow-Falls/d669-22796P3

We are doing 2 days in Hilo because our itinerary changed due to the fire in Lahaina.  Originally we were 2 days in Oahu. Since they removed Lahaina we now have one day in Oahu leaving at midnight then cruising Napoli coast then 2 days in Hilo and a short time in Kailua before heading to Vancouver.  Really looking forward to seeing everything!

• Like 1

I like Robert's since they are a local Hawaiian company, been in business since 1941 and have a local presence on every Hawaiian island.

https://www.rhshorex.com/big-island-excursions/

I like doing business with people in the same time zone as I am in. I don't use Airbnb or Vrbo, I use local realtors and I engage local tour operators directly.

My favorite thing to do in Hilo is visit the Kuhio Grille, Home of the 1 Pound Lau Lau.

https://www.kuhiogrille.com/

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, KeepCalmBearOn said:

I like Robert's since they are a local Hawaiian company, been in business since 1941 and have a local presence on every Hawaiian island.

https://www.rhshorex.com/big-island-excursions/

I like doing business with people in the same time zone as I am in. I don't use Airbnb or Vrbo, I use local realtors and I engage local tour operators directly.

My favorite thing to do in Hilo is visit the Kuhio Grille, Home of the 1 Pound Lau Lau.

https://www.kuhiogrille.com/

Thank you!