Advice on best ports for snorkeling: Cozumel, Roatan, and/or Costa Maya

lmdnh

Hi all- We're doing the western Caribbean cruise with stops in Cozumel, Roatan, Costa Maya, and Harvest Caye. The reefs are the motivation for this cruise and we want to see as much as we can. I've read a TON on the snorkeling in Roatan and Cozumel, but I'm still a bit confused and undecided!! For background, I'm a 53 year old woman traveling with my 3 kids (18, 15, 13). My oldest and I are SCUBA certified, but are really VERY MUCH beginners. My middle is interested in SCUBA and my youngest is very much NOT. We'd really like to just focus on snorkeling for this cruise. Ideally I'd like to spend the morning in Cozumel snorkeling and then a few hours at a nice beach. As far as beach clubs go, we don't need a lot of amenities. I drink a bit, but not a ton and care more about quality over quantity. We care more about the beach and water activities than a pool. Here are my questions:

1) We currently have a reservation on Cozumel with Mystic Snorkel for a boat trip to Palancar, Columbia, and El Cielo. Are the currents too strong to enjoy snorkeling here? Are the reefs here too deep to really see anything snorkeling? I'm reading conflicting information. 

2) If Cozumel really isn't suited to snorkeling, should we just do Paradise Beach or a different Beach club instead?

3) On Roatan we are most likely going to get a car and go to West Bay and snorkel from the beach. Is this a good idea or would we be better off taking a boat out? I don't want to go somewhere where the reef is too deep for snorkeling and I don't want a combo SCUBA/snorkeling trip. I would want a trip geared towards snorkeling that's not a large party boat.

TIA!!!!

We’ll be on Regal Princess & will be snorkeling on Roatan on Dec 6th - Roatan is our first port & I thought we’d snorkel there & then have Cozumel as a back up if needed when we’re there on the 8th -  The reviews of the Princess snorkel excursions weren’t very good so we’re booked with Victor Bodden Tours (they offer a private off shore snorkel as well as the party boat) - I’ll let you know how it goes 🙂🏖️ 🤿 

Edited by Traveller1212
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, lmdnh said:

Hi all- We're doing the western Caribbean cruise with stops in Cozumel, Roatan, Costa Maya, and Harvest Caye. The reefs are the motivation for this cruise and we want to see as much as we can. I've read a TON on the snorkeling in Roatan and Cozumel, but I'm still a bit confused and undecided!! For background, I'm a 53 year old woman traveling with my 3 kids (18, 15, 13). My oldest and I are SCUBA certified, but are really VERY MUCH beginners. My middle is interested in SCUBA and my youngest is very much NOT. We'd really like to just focus on snorkeling for this cruise. Ideally I'd like to spend the morning in Cozumel snorkeling and then a few hours at a nice beach. As far as beach clubs go, we don't need a lot of amenities. I drink a bit, but not a ton and care more about quality over quantity. We care more about the beach and water activities than a pool. Here are my questions:

1) We currently have a reservation on Cozumel with Mystic Snorkel for a boat trip to Palancar, Columbia, and El Cielo. Are the currents too strong to enjoy snorkeling here? Are the reefs here too deep to really see anything snorkeling? I'm reading conflicting information. 

2) If Cozumel really isn't suited to snorkeling, should we just do Paradise Beach or a different Beach club instead?

3) On Roatan we are most likely going to get a car and go to West Bay and snorkel from the beach. Is this a good idea or would we be better off taking a boat out? I don't want to go somewhere where the reef is too deep for snorkeling and I don't want a combo SCUBA/snorkeling trip. I would want a trip geared towards snorkeling that's not a large party boat.

TIA!!!!

Mystic Snorkel is a great choice.  I've used them 2x on land vacations and my upcoming December cruise.  Yes you will see reefs.  

My suggestion for Roatan is if driving, to go to West Bay and shore Snorkel (all the way to the left facing out) or book a tour with companies that offer 3 reef snorkeling and beach break.  Try to customize so you get exactly what you want.  We used Roatan Webster tours in July who took us to Gumbalimba park then to a beach club where we then were taken to a reef.  In December we have Roatan getaway tours taking us to the reefs only plus a beach afterwards.  About 5 hours total.

• Like 1

Thank you! That’s just the information I was looking for. We’ll stick with Mystic and maybe see if they can drop us at a beach resort for a couple hours in the afternoon. I’ll look into Roatan Webster as well. Thanks again!

Would love to hear how you liked the Victor Bodden tours, traveller1212. People seem to love them. 

Edited by lmdnh

53 minutes ago, lmdnh said:

Thank you! That’s just the information I was looking for. We’ll stick with Mystic and maybe see if they can drop us at a beach resort for a couple hours in the afternoon. I’ll look into Roatan Webster as well. Thanks again!

Would love to hear how you liked the Victor Bodden tours, traveller1212. People seem to love them. 

Mystic doesn't do transportation.  You have to take a cab to the Marina where they leave at.  Plus you may not have time.  There's a couple of places near the port you can relax at but they are more man made.  1 has pretty good snorkeling and is at a dive shop.  We are stopping there in December after our Mystic Snorkel as it's walking distance to port plus has good underground statues.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lmdnh said:

Some snorkel boats will drop you at beach club piers -  it depends what arrangements they have. It wouldn’t hurt to ask and taxi back from there to save double journey, although I don’t know how much time you will have and if it would be worthwhile. 

I assume if you are going to Harvest Caye you are on NCL? If so you will most likely dock in town and will not be within walking distance of the underwater statues and dive clubs  mentioned by @jean87510. Traffic will be busy returning to the ship in town.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, c-leg5 said:

Some snorkel boats will drop you at beach club piers -  it depends what arrangements they have. It wouldn’t hurt to ask and taxi back from there to save double journey, although I don’t know how much time you will have and if it would be worthwhile. 

I assume if you are going to Harvest Caye you are on NCL? If so you will most likely dock in town and will not be within walking distance of the underwater statues and dive clubs  mentioned by @jean87510. Traffic will be busy returning to the ship in town.

The underwater statues I was referring to are the ones in Cozumel near the international pier.  Not sure where NCL docks at Coz though and if this would be an option.  Mystic usually doesn't do transportation but of course it never hurts to ask...🙂

15 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

The underwater statues I was referring to are the ones in Cozumel near the international pier.  Not sure where NCL docks at Coz though and if this would be an option.  Mystic usually doesn't do transportation but of course it never hurts to ask...🙂

I understand where the underwater statues are and they are within walking distance of International or Puerta Maya. 

NCL “normally “ docks in town at Langosta but it is not unknown for it to use either of the other piers, or even tender on occasions.

“Some” boats have, or pay for, docking rights at other piers for drop-offs or pick-ups (not land transportation). I have no idea what arrangements Mystic has, that was why I suggested they asked. It would be time consuming g to return to the marina and then taxi back to a club and then back to downtown. Unless they have really long port hours i doubt there would be time.

Edited by c-leg5

2 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

I understand where the underwater statues are and they are within walking distance of International or Puerta Maya. 

NCL “normally “ docks in town at Langosta but it is not unknown for it to use either of the other piers, or even tender on occasions.

“Some” boats have, or pay for, docking rights at other piers for drop-offs or pick-ups (not land transportation). I have no idea what arrangements Mystic has, that was why I suggested they asked. It would be time consuming g to return to the marina and then taxi back to a club and then back to downtown. Unless they have really long port hours i doubt there would be time.

agreed.  We are in a similar situation in December.  Our stop is 7a to 6p.  Our snorkeling trip is 9a to 2pm.  Then we plan on taxi ing back to port and walking down to the statues for a quick snorkel and maybe a drink.  We have been picked up at the Fiesta Americana dock by Mystic before on a land vacation.  So they probably can stop at a dock somewhere.  It's all in the timing though.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

agreed.  We are in a similar situation in December.  Our stop is 7a to 6p.  Our snorkeling trip is 9a to 2pm.  Then we plan on taxi ing back to port and walking down to the statues for a quick snorkel and maybe a drink.  We have been picked up at the Fiesta Americana dock by Mystic before on a land vacation.  So they probably can stop at a dock somewhere.  It's all in the timing though.  

You could taxi directly to Sunset or Tikila to save walking unless you need to go back to the ship?

• Like 1