Nassau: Thinking about Swimming Pigs/Snorkel Excursion

T_Bird

Hi all,

We will be in Nassau for the day, 9-4.  It looks like it is us and 5 other cruise ships in port.  I was thinking about a sailing or jet boat cruise to see the swimming pigs and/or snorkel.  Any suggestions?  Any other fun ideas that keep us away from the high traffic areas?

We love water activities...

Thanks!  🙂

So I am starting to rethink this excursion as I am reading about a 4th fatal shark attack in these waters THIS year!  I am not particularly afraid of sharks; I live near the beach in FL.  I see sharks fishing and occasionally in the surf.  We have a number of reported attacks each year, very rarely fatal.  Usually just a small (non-fatal) bite or bump in the surf or a fisherman messing with a shark on the line.  None of this stops me (or my family) from enjoying the beach and water.  However, 4 DEATHS in and around Nassau particularly, seems alarming.  What is going on there?  

Woman from Boston killed in shark attack while paddle boarding in Bahamas - CBS News

2023 Shark Attack Map • Tracking Sharks

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/28/2023 at 9:24 PM, HUNKY said:

Did swimming with the pigs on December 23rd.

Most of the pigs are on the beach, some do wade into the water.

They go after the snacks provided by the Pearl Island crew.

My DIL is thinking she wants to do the swim with the pigs excursion through the boat.  Is it doable on your own and is it worth it??  Leaning towards through the ship as son and DIL don't have passports. 

On 1/8/2024 at 5:15 PM, snorkler8 said:

My DIL is thinking she wants to do the swim with the pigs excursion through the boat.  Is it doable on your own and is it worth it??  Leaning towards through the ship as son and DIL don't have passports. 

Yes, doable on your own at Rose Island and only imho not worth it.  I have done it 2 times once intentionally, once I didn't realize it was part of excursion.  On Rose Island, they are in a pen.  They blow a whistle and pigs come running out.  Everyone stands around with a stick of fruit.  The pigs come tearing into water after the fruit.  Then the vendors get one baby pig for photos where everyone stands in a line waiting.  The 1st time my husband and I did it was during covid and we were the only 2 people at a private island near Eleuthera, Bahamas.  Much more natural but still a one and done.  First 3 pictures are Rose Island August 2023.  2nd 3 pictures are the private island December 2020

P8130069.JPG

P8130037.JPG

P8130069.JPG

20201204_113325.jpg

20201204_113151.jpg

20201204_111715-1.jpg

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, snorkler8 said:

Thank you!  I will pass this on to my DIL who is considering doing this 🙂

Let her know this isn’t the “real” pig island of exuma where pigs have been inhabitants for a long time. These are just farm pigs brought up an island to get tourists to come. And they poop.

• Haha 1

On our recent Virgin Cruise (Jan 08) I heard that the swimming with pigs excursion was not enjoyed by the majority of the participants.  The weather was overcast and somewhat windy so the pigs refused to get in the water.  Most compared it to a very expensive petting zoo and found it underwhelming.  Several people requested refunds as they didn't feel it fit the advertised description. This is second-hand info so feel free to take it with a grain of salt.   We did a tour excursion to the Clifton Heritage National Park and ended up having a lovely experience which was very peaceful and uncrowded.  That may be an alternative swimming activity if she is looking to avoid the crowds.

• Thanks 1