Semi-live: Crown Princess, “Mexican Riviera” Dec 12 to Dec 22

mk-ultra

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Congrats on your first "Live from..." Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic! See your post featured on our: Click: Live Cruise Reports page.. . When you return, please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

mk-ultra was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

Basics:

Round trip from San Francisco.  Yay!  My home port, so no flying or hotels involved.  Just a 15 minute Uber ride from home to pier 27.

Cabin: M1 category “Reserve Class” (formerly Club Class) mini-suite on Dolphin deck 9.  It’s the same size as the rest of the mini-suites, but comes with bundled extras.  Bids placed just slightly above minimums to gamble on an upgrade.  Don’t really care.  Buy the cabin you want; a decent upgrade win is just icing on the cake.

Paid the $10 for shipping and received my Medallion doohickey about 14 days in advance of sailing.

Itinerary:

Screenshot 2023-12-01 at 8.49.54 PM.png

Edited by mk-ultra
  • Like 2

Cruising from SF is a mixed bag.  You can go North to Alaska, which necessitates a PVSA stop somewhere in in Canada,  I never get tired of AK.  I've done every permutation of that cruise... starting here in SF, or Vancouver, or Seattle... or starting in Anchorage and taking the train to Seward for a southbound one-way.

You can go South down California's coast (Monterey, Santa Barbara, maybe Catalina, San Diego), but also need to tag Ensenada to avoid the PVSA gods.  If you're a local like me though, I've spent tons of time in those places.

Last but not least: Hawaii.  If you don't mind a good chunk of sea days, the payoff on the destination end is nice.

For MX, this is a nice itinerary.  Much better ports than if you're coming at it from the Gulf of Mexico side (Costa Maya, Cozumel).  IMHO.

Edited by mk-ultra

Hi @mk-ultra We'll be on that cruise as well and starting to get everything together to pack.  

we love sailing out of SF; we live in the Reno area so take Amtrak over and spend the night in the city.  Just a short cab ride to the port in the morning and we're on our way.  See you on board!🚢🍹🙂

• Like 1

14 hours ago, theloo said:

I'd love to hear who you have on board for enrichment and if they plan to stay on for the December 22 to Hawaii.  Also, please report on your mattress 🤞

I'll see if I can get presenter names if/when I attend.  So far, I've bookmarked three enrichment talks.  Day two, "Whales: Giants of the Deep", day three, "Pacific Mexican Wildlife", day four "Tide Pool Life".  Looks like they have at least one a day.

• Thanks 2

I know it's still nine days until boarding, but I've already started the packening just because it makes it feel "official" I'm about to have a nice vacation.

In the last few years, I mostly gave up on formal nights -- choosing instead to just have my one roller bag to streamline the taxi / airport / airplane / hotel experience.  Sure, one pair of slacks and a collared shirt but nothing more fancy than that.

But hey... this trip?  From my home port with nothing more obnoxious than piling into an Uber?  PACK ALL THE THINGS!  Garment bag is getting stuffed.  More stuffening next Wednesday when I pick up stuff I haven't worn for years from the dry cleaner.  More shoes than Imelda Marcos.  There's a genuine blazer buried in there somewhere.  I have a full ten days to play dress-up on this cruise.  Might as well work it.

IMG_4004.thumb.jpg.501c31e1a5f67a9293ca57497fb71bea.jpg

Edited by mk-ultra
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, mk-ultra said:

I'll see if I can get presenter names if/when I attend.  So far, I've bookmarked three enrichment talks.  Day two, "Whales: Giants of the Deep", day three, "Pacific Mexican Wildlife", day four "Tide Pool Life".  Looks like they have at least one a day.

Now I have to make a decision - on day 2 - do I go to the Meet & Greet or the talk on Whales.  Both are at 10AM. 

1 hour ago, marden1970 said:

Now I have to make a decision - on day 2 - do I go to the Meet & Greet or the talk on Whales.  Both are at 10AM. 

If history repeats itself, the talk will be recorded and you can view it in your cabin ...

M&G will not be recorded :~}    a ONCE in a lifetime opportunity 

:~}

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, nyazca said:

If history repeats itself, the talk will be recorded and you can view it in your cabin ...

M&G will not be recorded :~}    a ONCE in a lifetime opportunity 

:~}

Thanks, I forgot about things being recorded.  See you on board!🚢

On 12/2/2023 at 7:15 AM, marden1970 said:

Hi @mk-ultra We'll be on that cruise as well and starting to get everything together to pack.  

we love sailing out of SF; we live in the Reno area so take Amtrak over and spend the night in the city.  Just a short cab ride to the port in the morning and we're on our way.  See you on board!🚢🍹🙂

That is one long train ride with a bus transfer to boot

12 minutes ago, memoak said:

That is one long train ride with a bus transfer to boot

It's not too bad, about 8 hours.  The train is very comfortable and you can get up and walk around and the scenery if great for some of the trip.  Decent food in the dining car.  We don't do the bus transfer anymore as they let you off on a street somewhere and then you would need a cab to the hotel.  We started using a car service from Emeryville into the city.   More expensive but easier for us.  Hubby has some mobility issues and is on oxygen so I try to make it as easy as possible for him.  See you on board!🚢

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, marden1970 said:

It's not too bad, about 8 hours.  The train is very comfortable and you can get up and walk around and the scenery if great for some of the trip.  Decent food in the dining car.  We don't do the bus transfer anymore as they let you off on a street somewhere and then you would need a cab to the hotel.  We started using a car service from Emeryville into the city.   More expensive but easier for us.  Hubby has some mobility issues and is on oxygen so I try to make it as easy as possible for him.  See you on board!🚢

I am not back on the Crown until January   Just got off her in October. I do like trains we take them from Portland to Seattle often but prefer trains that have business class less crowded few screaming children

6 minutes ago, memoak said:

I am not back on the Crown until January   Just got off her in October. I do like trains we take them from Portland to Seattle often but prefer trains that have business class less crowded few screaming children

We prefer that as well, unfortunately, the California Zepher doesn't have one.  We did take the Starlight once to LA to catch a cruise and did business class, it was so nice but that was a really long trip with an overnight in Sacramento between segments.  Last time we did a roomette, never again.  It is sooooo small.  I spent most of the trip in observation car.  Hope you enjoy your next cruise.

I've got one of those jobs where there is really no such thing as a vacation.  I'm expected to be reachable, or at least assign someone to be my proxy.

Proxy assigned.  My email inbox is at zero.  I went into work today and sorted out the 8 shipments we received while I was working in North Carolina with one of my engineers.  I looked at my accrued PTO left... and it's maxed out at 240 hours.

So: I hit the vacation button early.  My blissful face isn't expected to show up until January 2nd.  I do kinda miss the days where being on a ship equaled being unreachable -- but I'll take what I can get.  🙂

Edited by mk-ultra
  • Like 2

As far as trains go, just do it if you're not in a hurry.  It takes about 4 hours to drive south back to my old stomping grounds (Emeryville to San Luis Obispo).  The train, on a good day, is 8 hours.  Relax.  Get to know some fellow travelers.  It's a different mindset, but very close to cruising,  You'll meet some super-sociable people onboard.

Edited by mk-ultra
  • Like 1

Two small errands to run tomorrow, but I should have my bags packed and zipped up by noon.  11:30 check in start time on Tuesday for me.  For the sea days at the start and end, decided to book a night at Crown Grill and Sabatini's.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mk-ultra said:

Two small errands to run tomorrow, but I should have my bags packed and zipped up by noon.  11:30 check in start time on Tuesday for me.  For the sea days at the start and end, decided to book a night at Crown Grill and Sabatini's.

We're all packed - just need the taxi to the train station tomorrow, Marriott Courtyard check in then to In-and Out for supper.  Cab on Tuesday to the ship and then to the aft bar for a Daiquiri. for sail away.🚢🍹

• Like 1

For anyone who hasn't checked their email yet:

DELAYED EMBARKATION
Please be advised that due to an increased amount of silt buildup at our assigned cruise berth and severe low spring tidal levels in San Francisco Bay, Crown Princess will not have the necessary under-keel clearance necessary to berth on Tuesday, December 12, 2023, in the early afternoon. As a result, your embarkation has been delayed. Check-in will begin at 6:30 PM on Tuesday, December 12, and embarkation will begin at 8:30 PM. Please do not arrive early as seating in the terminal is limited. Guests who arrive early may leave their luggage and enjoy the surrounding area. All guests must be aboard by 10:30 PM.

Please keep any essential items such as passports and other travel documents, medication, baby formula, and pajamas in your carry-on baggage as checked luggage will be delivered to staterooms late at night.

In recognition of the delayed start to your cruise and to offset any expenses you may incur due to the delay, all guests will receive a $25 onboard credit.
Edited by mk-ultra

1 hour ago, rocklinmom said:

Wow that's a late embarkation! So passengers will be on their own for lunch and dinner. 

But at least they gave us $25 OBC to cover our additional costs in the city. 🙄

we are still super excited- we did most of our packing yesterday and then moved pajamas to our carry-on. We are driving from Reno tomorrow

so now we can leave a bit later..

Edited by sandsunsurf
  • Like 1

On 12/3/2023 at 11:00 AM, marden1970 said:

We prefer that as well, unfortunately, the California Zepher doesn't have one.  We did take the Starlight once to LA to catch a cruise and did business class, it was so nice but that was a really long trip with an overnight in Sacramento between segments.  Last time we did a roomette, never again.  It is sooooo small.  I spent most of the trip in observation car.  Hope you enjoy your next cruise.

We did a roomette from NYC to LA. That's a LONG trip.