Tipping

Becky2010

For some reason I can't get onto the US Ponant site for the last day or two, but I remember seeing that the guidance for gratuities was $10-12 a person a day. Does anyone know if you pay that with a credit card? And does that go to a Crew Fund?

Thank you!

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

My Ponant invoice has a line stating "Open Bar and Gratuities Included"

I don’t see that on mine! Maybe different cruises have different policies? Silversea had tips included too, but we gave to the crew fund. But we were able to do that with a credit card. 

7 minutes ago, Becky2010 said:

I don’t see that on mine! Maybe different cruises have different policies? Silversea had tips included too, but we gave to the crew fund. But we were able to do that with a credit card. 

My understanding was that it is part of the USAPonant terms & conditions.  

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

My understanding was that it is part of the USAPonant terms & conditions.  

Ok! Well if it is, they still have that guidance on their US website so we will probably follow it! 

Hello, Folks..

They are a bit confusing about tips. On our Arctic trip last summer, it was pretty clear that the amount you mentioned was a guideline for all. And it goes into a common fund, by credit card if you like. It was quick and easy to do. I saw no evidence that US travelers were free of this request. However, if Abercrombie, Smithsonian or other partners have chartered the ship, their rules apply and tipping is included.

By the way, we did give some “extra” in person with notes to those who were especially kind and helpful.  And, my goodness…the butler. But never mind, it was a wonderful trip.

so that’s my experience with Ponant so far.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, vjt said:

Hello, Folks..

They are a bit confusing about tips. On our Arctic trip last summer, it was pretty clear that the amount you mentioned was a guideline for all. And it goes into a common fund, by credit card if you like. It was quick and easy to do. I saw no evidence that US travelers were free of this request. However, if Abercrombie, Smithsonian or other partners have chartered the ship, their rules apply and tipping is included.

By the way, we did give some “extra” in person with notes to those who were especially kind and helpful.  And, my goodness…the butler. But never mind, it was a wonderful trip.

so that’s my experience with Ponant so far.

Thanks so much, that’s so helpful! Very excited - leaving today!

• 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, AussieBoyTX said:

I spoke with US Reservations and they confirmed that tips are included on all US-booked Ponant cruises.

I was just on a US booked Ponant cruise and at the disembarkation talk they told us that the average tip was blah blah and that you could use the envelope in the room, or they were happy to take a credit card! We had a great time, and were happy to tip, but it definitely didn't feel included. 

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, AussieBoyTX said:

I spoke with US Reservations and they confirmed that tips are included on all US-booked Ponant cruises.

Australian Reservations confirmed through a T/A that tips are included on all Australian-booked Ponant cruises.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

This is what I have always been told, and my invoices have stated.

It may be on paper, but the reality seemed like most people tipped, and that was the expectation of the crew. I’m sure it would be fine if you didn’t. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Becky2010 said:

It may be on paper, but the reality seemed like most people tipped, and that was the expectation of the crew. I’m sure it would be fine if you didn’t. 

I believe that some other nationalities don't have tips included in their fare.  But in any case, I can't help what other people do.  If the tips are explicitly included in my fare, I would only tip (a little) for particular extraordinary services.

• Like 2

On 12/20/2023 at 3:57 PM, AussieBoyTX said:

Australian Reservations confirmed through a T/A that tips are included on all Australian-booked Ponant cruises.

Interesting. There is nothing in my documentation from Ponant for my Australian booked cruise next April that tips are included. In fact the Australian website states:

"Bonuses for the staff is one of the customs of cruise ships and are left to your discretion. An anonymous envelope is left in your stateroom at the end of your cruise. You can leave it at reception in a box provided. This sum is generally in the range of €10-12 per day per passenger. It is then divided between the members of the crew."

I actually thought that Australian consumer law required such things as tips to be included in the fare, but I shall check!

Edited by minz56
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2023 at 6:11 PM, minz56 said:

I actually thought that Australian consumer law required such things as tips to be included in the fare, but I shall check!

They don't have to be included because they're voluntary. Any part of the expense of the cruise which is compulsory must be included in the advertised price though.

There are some cruise lines, such as Cunard, who sail from Australia and do not include gratuities in the cruise fare but they can be removed once on board.

• 1 month later...

I asked my TA for clarification re: tipping and this was Ponant's response:

"Yes, gratuities ARE INCLUDED for North American travelers who are booked through our NYC office. The confusion occurs because travelers who book through the France HQ office do not have this included. Occasionally, the message is not made clear onboard, and it does cause some confusion. Envelopes are not supposed to be left for travelers booked from North America."

My original invoice did not state "Open Bar and Gratuities Included" but Ponant added it per my request.

31 minutes ago, dcinmb said:

I asked my TA for clarification re: tipping and this was Ponant's response:

"Yes, gratuities ARE INCLUDED for North American travelers who are booked through our NYC office. The confusion occurs because travelers who book through the France HQ office do not have this included. Occasionally, the message is not made clear onboard, and it does cause some confusion. Envelopes are not supposed to be left for travelers booked from North America."

My original invoice did not state "Open Bar and Gratuities Included" but Ponant added it per my request.

They may be included, but we still had a speech from Ponant about what tips people generally leave. I guess that’s over and above what is “included”? Not sure. But it clearly seemed to us to be an expectation based on what they said, and envelopes left, etc. 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Becky2010 said:

They may be included, but we still had a speech from Ponant about what tips people generally leave. I guess that’s over and above what is “included”? Not sure. But it clearly seemed to us to be an expectation based on what they said, and envelopes left, etc. 

I did mention the speech in my query [which my TA forwarded to Ponant] but the rep did not address it.

People on CruiseCritic have been debating whether grats are included or not, especially as they’re not listed in the inclusions on the Ponant site. Apparently, Ponant leaves envelopes for cash tips in the staterooms and on a few sailings, the officers have made announcements encouraging guests to tip.”

• Thanks 1