Jaime’s at Blue Reef

1bravesfan

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/18/2023 at 6:55 PM, JaniceB said:

How did you book with an email?  I don't see a way to book on website?

From website:

PLEASE EMAIL ME FIRST IN OUR CONTACT PAGE)

If you like to proceed with booking, please visit the contact page where you can email me and also see full directions on how to get here.

Regards Jaime Cueto Strimpopulos

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, 4x4TX said:

Has anyone been to his new place Lunas Beach Resort? 

We have been to Hotel Luna de Plata but I think that is different, this one nearer to town?

is this the camping beach club, el sabor? I think the golf carts go there?

I think it is one of the beach bars on the road out of town - they seem to come and go unfortunately.  Jaimie should be aware so perhaps he can make a go of it. How long has he been there? Is he running it as a lower budget PAYG because that is what Mahahual needs right now? Mahahual vendors have become very greedy. Unfortunately it may be outside the baffles of the Malecon so it will be interesting to hear how the beach and water are if you go.

Posted (edited)

Maybe he bought the old Lunas Bar which was just south of the camping spot but north of the hotel.I'll email him and find out. Nothing on the web.

Just adding that a search for Lunas Beach Resort, only brings up the Luna Beach Resort in Roatan, which is a bit off the beaten track but an excellent spot uncrowded and the cafe has great Honduran coffee.

Edited by crewsweeper
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

He says its two minutes past blue reef and has no vendors, better beach same food etc.

This what it says on this website:

VOTED BEST SEAFOOD RESTAURANT IN COSTA MAYA  

Jaime’s has opened up a new beach club;    due to  so many sold out dates and bookings. he doesn’t like to turn guest down…. 

only 11 min from the port and no vendors 

NAME IS LUNAS RESTAURANT AND BEACH CLUB

SEND EMAIL FOR RESERVATIONS ON THE CONTACT PAGE OR @

https://jaimesatthebluereef.wordpress.com/

Edited by 4x4TX

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, 4x4TX said:

He says its two minutes past blue reef and has no vendors, better beach same food etc.

This what it says on this website:

VOTED BEST SEAFOOD RESTAURANT IN COSTA MAYA  

Jaime’s has opened up a new beach club;    due to  so many sold out dates and bookings. he doesn’t like to turn guest down…. 

only 11 min from the port and no vendors 

NAME IS LUNAS RESTAURANT AND BEACH CLUB

SEND EMAIL FOR RESERVATIONS ON THE CONTACT PAGE OR @

https://jaimesatthebluereef.wordpress.com/

That is a very strange and confusing listing on his website. 

No location directions but the same details as before and yet no mention of Blue Reef now. 

It does appear to be the location @crewsweeper and I indicated. Hopefully crew will come back with more insight. I am sorry to hear he is following the same package model. He is probably correct about less vendors - they don’t tend to make it that far. I am not sure how the beach will be - look forward to future reviews.

Edited by c-leg5

Jaime confirmed the location.  They're working on the website.

We've booked Maya Chan for our next visit to Costa Maya next year. But we'll watch the reviews and maybe consider it in 2026.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

Jaime confirmed the location.  They're working on the website.

We've booked Maya Chan for our next visit to Costa Maya next year. But we'll watch the reviews and maybe consider it in 2026.

Thanks crew, So he is going to run both locations and the hotel?

Edited by c-leg5

We just got back from Lunas this past Monday. We had some mixups but Jamie made it right.

1)They didnt have our reservation when we got there

2)Although I asked about the ala carte package they automatically charged me the all inclusive price. I saw there was two menus and asked when we got there but was told the little menu was the only one to use.

3)At check out, because we didn't stay but a few hours and didn't order much food or drink, we opted for the ala carte which totally confused on our waitress. She had to call Jamie after a few minutes of disagreement and then had to go through her pad to reprice everything. We got it figured out but it just made things uncomfortable for my party of 8. At that point I let the $2 per per cab refund go.

4)Later that night Jamie emailed me and refunded me some money back for all the issues. They are obviously still working out the kinks but in the end I knew Jamie would make it right so all good.

As for the setup, it was fine. Very similar to Blue Reef except I only saw one vendor while we there for just a second. Beach was good, there was paths through the sea grass to get areas to sit or hangout. Snorkeling around a bid we found a really cool crab and some good shells. It was a relaxing place and personally being on the end vs in the middle at blue reef was a plus for me. 

38 minutes ago, 4x4TX said:

We just got back from Lunas this past Monday. We had some mixups but Jamie made it right.

1)They didnt have our reservation when we got there

2)Although I asked about the ala carte package they automatically charged me the all inclusive price. I saw there was two menus and asked when we got there but was told the little menu was the only one to use.

3)At check out, because we didn't stay but a few hours and didn't order much food or drink, we opted for the ala carte which totally confused on our waitress. She had to call Jamie after a few minutes of disagreement and then had to go through her pad to reprice everything. We got it figured out but it just made things uncomfortable for my party of 8. At that point I let the $2 per per cab refund go.

4)Later that night Jamie emailed me and refunded me some money back for all the issues. They are obviously still working out the kinks but in the end I knew Jamie would make it right so all good.

As for the setup, it was fine. Very similar to Blue Reef except I only saw one vendor while we there for just a second. Beach was good, there was paths through the sea grass to get areas to sit or hangout. Snorkeling around a bid we found a really cool crab and some good shells. It was a relaxing place and personally being on the end vs in the middle at blue reef was a plus for me. 

Glad it worked out.

I wasn’t aware you could book a la carte in advance. I thought that was only a space available on the day choice. Is this something new with this location? It is certainly something that is needed in Mahahual like it used to be. 

So was it protected by the baffles from sargassum?

5 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

Glad it worked out.

I wasn’t aware you could book a la carte in advance. I thought that was only a space available on the day choice. Is this something new with this location? It is certainly something that is needed in Mahahual like it used to be. 

So was it protected by the baffles from sargassum?

Well not sure about booking in advance, but my understanding as others have posted on here you can choose AI or ala carte at blue reef. I was not aware of that either as last time we paid the AI price but no way it was a good deal for my party.  My group isnt big drinkers and eating so much on the boat there is only so much you can eat out so it just doesn't make much sense for us. The place wasn't full so maybe that is why it worked out I don't know. There was maybe 3-4 family's there including us with still plenty of room. I assume the others were cruise passengers. I think there was two other boats in port that I could see.

The beach was spread out and yeah it has the nets like blue reef does keeping some seaweed out. Some still makes it through but it was fine. The beach next door had seaweed on it and you could definitely smell it. 

On 3/15/2024 at 8:11 AM, 4x4TX said:

Well not sure about booking in advance, but my understanding as others have posted on here you can choose AI or ala carte at blue reef. I was not aware of that either as last time we paid the AI price but no way it was a good deal for my party.  My group isnt big drinkers and eating so much on the boat there is only so much you can eat out so it just doesn't make much sense for us. The place wasn't full so maybe that is why it worked out I don't know. There was maybe 3-4 family's there including us with still plenty of room. I assume the others were cruise passengers. I think there was two other boats in port that I could see.

The beach was spread out and yeah it has the nets like blue reef does keeping some seaweed out. Some still makes it through but it was fine. The beach next door had seaweed on it and you could definitely smell it. 

I agree AI is rarely of value to us, especially as we used to like to walk the length of the malecon and bar hop along the way but even if we stay in one place for a few hours and back to the ship we don’t need to eat much when there is so much food on the ship. we are more likely to do AI if we are staying in a condo on a land visit.

We have only made inquiries once a couple of years ago about booking in advance and was told it was package only unless “they had room on the day” at Blue Reef which is why we have never been. We became regulars at Malecon21 which purportedly had better bathrooms. How are the bathrooms at the new location and is the food cooked on site?

Interesting to hear the offshore nets extend that far I thought they would stop at Macho’s Bar.

On 3/17/2024 at 10:17 AM, c-leg5 said:

I agree AI is rarely of value to us, especially as we used to like to walk the length of the malecon and bar hop along the way but even if we stay in one place for a few hours and back to the ship we don’t need to eat much when there is so much food on the ship. we are more likely to do AI if we are staying in a condo on a land visit.

We have only made inquiries once a couple of years ago about booking in advance and was told it was package only unless “they had room on the day” at Blue Reef which is why we have never been. We became regulars at Malecon21 which purportedly had better bathrooms. How are the bathrooms at the new location and is the food cooked on site?

Interesting to hear the offshore nets extend that far I thought they would stop at Macho’s Bar.

I did not go to the bathrooms but they were across the street as a few in my party went over there. I dont think it was anything special but they did have access.

I guess when I say nets, right before the channel there was these wooden stakes with nets on them just like at Jamie's running down the beach a few hundred yards out that I assume is for the seaweed.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

Bathrooms at many places along the malecon are at best "rustic", Jaime's included.

Jaime says that they are currently using the Luna as overflow from Blue Reef.

I realize that but I am surprised about  Blue Reef I thought it was a new build?