Cas Abao or Playa Porto Mari

Fouremco

Our upcoming family cruise includes a stop in Curaçao. We will be renting cars and heading out for a beach day, and we're trying to decide between these two beaches. DW and I have visited both in the past, and we lean towards Cas Abao, but it's been a few years since our last visit, and things can change. And our daughter says today that members of a Curaçao social media site that she frequents leans towards Porto Mari. 

Other than amenities, which seem quite similar, what makes one beach better than the other? Also, which one tends to fill up earliest in the day? By the time we get our cars and head out, I imagine we'll get there around 9:15 or so, hopefully in time to rent some chairs in a shaded area.

Edited by Fouremco

• 2 weeks later...

I've only been to porto playa marie and it was amazing.  Quite a ride from the port (40 min maybe) and you can't see much for much of the ride. But once you get there!!! FANTASTIC.  We went early (11a or so) and it was dead until early afternoon.  We took a cab and pre-arranged for him to return at a set time to take us back to downtown.

• 3 months later...
On 12/13/2023 at 8:58 PM, VermeulT said:

I've only been to porto playa marie and it was amazing.  Quite a ride from the port (40 min maybe) and you can't see much for much of the ride. But once you get there!!! FANTASTIC.  We went early (11a or so) and it was dead until early afternoon.  We took a cab and pre-arranged for him to return at a set time to take us back to downtown.

how much were umbrellas and chairs, and was there wifi? 

• 4 weeks later...

We went to Cas Abho and it was awesome.  The water is beautiful. Plenty of chairs to rent.  The beach is a little rocky but once in the water nice sandy bottom.  We got massages that were right at the shoreline and super relaxing. They have food and drinks available.  The day we were there was really busy so be patient. We are headed back there on our next cruise.

On 4/15/2024 at 7:52 PM, wardwhitty said:

We went to Cas Abho and it was awesome.  The water is beautiful. Plenty of chairs to rent.  The beach is a little rocky but once in the water nice sandy bottom.  We got massages that were right at the shoreline and super relaxing. They have food and drinks available.  The day we were there was really busy so be patient. We are headed back there on our next cruise.

All this is available at Porto Marie too. On top of that, Porto Marie isn’t used as an excursion beach for cruise ship passengers, unlike Cas Abou. The complete middle section of the beach at Cas Abou is cordoned off on cruise ship days to be used exclusively by those on a tour from the ship. The small on-site restaurant/snack bar usually has difficulties coping with the crowds. 
Don’t get me wrong, I love Cas Abou, but I will never go there again on a day one or more cruise ships are on the island.