Is the Explorer really that bad?

chaunceyb

5 hours ago, jjs217 said:

It looks like you really enjoy the main lines (Holland, Princess, RCL), maybe the luxury lines just aren't to your taste.

I don't know how you know which cruise lines we enjoy or what our tastes are.  My post was to respond to the original question: Is the Explorer really that bad?   I shared my personal experience on the Explorer and yes it was really that bad!  Your snarky response is uncalled for.  These boards are for others to share our experiences, and even if you disagree, your sarcastic answer is totally unnecessary.

• Like 12

3 minutes ago, alainciao said:

It's true these boards are to share experiences.  However, when one reads that the food in both Sette Mari and Chartreuse is "tasteless", one cannot be faulted for wondering where that came from.

I think we have lost the art of conversation.  If one expresses an opinion that is counter to yours, the appropriate response is “what do you mean by tasteless?”  This actually starts a conversation.  Perhaps the poster prefers robust, spicy cuisine….perhaps the poster has an issue with his ability to smell, thus impacting taste…..perhaps the poster is used to a specific cuisine.  We are so quick to judge, defend, belittle.  Enough.  

• Like 8

37 minutes ago, many cruises said:

I don't know how you know which cruise lines we enjoy or what our tastes are.  My post was to respond to the original question: Is the Explorer really that bad?   I shared my personal experience on the Explorer and yes it was really that bad!  Your snarky response is uncalled for.  These boards are for others to share our experiences, and even if you disagree, your sarcastic answer is totally unnecessary.

I know which cruise lines you enjoy because you have them listed under your signature.

If you see my response as snarky, maybe "ye doth protest too much."

I found my response to be totally necessary.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, forgap said:

I think we have lost the art of conversation.  If one expresses an opinion that is counter to yours, the appropriate response is “what do you mean by tasteless?”  This actually starts a conversation.  Perhaps the poster prefers robust, spicy cuisine….perhaps the poster has an issue with his ability to smell, thus impacting taste…..perhaps the poster is used to a specific cuisine.  We are so quick to judge, defend, belittle.  Enough.  

I'm not quick to judge, as I read the posters words very closely.  He thought everything on the Explorer was tasteless, thus my comment.  I do not use emojis, and so my sharp wit is sometimes lost on others.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, jjs217 said:

I'm not quick to judge, as I read the posters words very closely.  He thought everything on the Explorer was tasteless, thus my comment.  I do not use emojis, and so my sharp wit is sometimes lost on others.

Ask for more information….no emojis necessary. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, jjs217 said:

Wow, I agree your posts are judgey (is that a word?). It’s sad that people can’t express their opinions on this “discussion” board without being chastised or labeled. Opinions are just that, opinions. We all have them and we all have different experiences and expectations. So often, when someone posts something that isn’t a glowing review of Regent it seems to hit a cord with some people and they have to go on the attack. Why? 

• Like 6

We were on Explorer of 60+ days in Feb-March of this year and found her to be an awesome ship. The public areas are beautiful -- a bity glitzy for our taste but most everying looks like new.  Compass Rose was actually our favorite restaurant. Yet we had friends who never wanted to go there a bad experience and visited Sette Mare nearly every night. Different strokes for different folks. The worst problem seemed to be the tiles on the infinity pool kept coming off. The crew worked hard to keep replacing them. Could possibly be why Grandeur doesn't have an infinitiy pool. The crew, entertainment and ports from Sydney to Tokyo were amazing. In many of the Japanese ports, we were the first ship in the port since Covid. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, pappy1022 said:

Wow, I agree your posts are judgey (is that a word?). It’s sad that people can’t express their opinions on this “discussion” board without being chastised or labeled. Opinions are just that, opinions. We all have them and we all have different experiences and expectations. So often, when someone posts something that isn’t a glowing review of Regent it seems to hit a cord with some people and they have to go on the attack. Why? 

OMG - You guys are taking this way too seriously.  It was a joke - he said everything was tasteless, thus my comment about taste.  That is why I said I should have put in an emoji, so everyone could understand.  Gosh, laugh, love live.  I do have to wonder how someone who has been on 30 main line cruises (at one time he had them listed), couldn't find one meal he liked on a luxury liner.  Doesn't anyone find this odd?  I actually started to wonderful if it was a troll.  Oh wait, was that judgey?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, pappy1022 said:

May I remind you, it was me who was defending you on another thread about the missed ports on the Grandeur cruise?  So, no I do not always cheerlead for Regent.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, jjs217 said:

May I remind you, it was me who was defending you on another thread about the missed ports on the Grandeur cruise?  So, no I do not always cheerlead for Regent.

I am not looking for support from anyone. I just want to share my opinions and respect the opinions of others. I will draw my own conclusions from the totality of what everyone says as long as they are respectful and considerate. I am officially out on debating this any more.

3 minutes ago, pappy1022 said:

Well, glad we can’t take your comments seriously. If those were jokes, I think only 1 person understood the joke. 

My humor is sophisticated and droll.  I don't expect everyone to understand.  See - that was a joke.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, pappy1022 said:

I am not looking for support from anyone. I just want to share my opinions and respect the opinions of others. I will draw my own conclusions from the totality of what everyone says as long as they are respectful and considerate. I am officially out on debating this any more.

Thank goodness.  I'm tired of defending myself.

My husband and I were on the Explorer's Tokyo to Bangkok cruise in November and had a fantastic trip. We had a few concerning issues with food and food service at the very beginning of the cruise, which we brought up right away and which were dealt with right away. Here is a link to the review I recently posted:

Mary

The Modern Postcard

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Having been on Regent Explorer in November and Seabourn Ovation in July, I would say neither line is yet up to the standard we experienced pre Covid. Food is not as good - not awful (except the chicken 😂) but not fabulous either and neither is the service - not enough staff and despite working hard not yet providing the intuitive service we have come to expect.

For example - breakfast in La Veranda on several mornings had 2/3 members of staff on each side. When it got busy they were being chased to set tables so guests could be seated which meant tables weren't being cleared or coffee/tea poured.

I am still happy to sail with both lines (though have 2 in the pipe line with Silversea) but I think expectations need to be reined in a little until staff are fully trained.

• Like 3

I have been on the Explorer three time (Caribbean, Iceland/Greenland, and Japan to Alaska).  This is the only ship of this class that I have been on, I have been on the Voyager and the Navagator.  One of the major factors I have found is the impact of size of the ships, the smaller the ship the more "small town" is the atmosphere on the ship.  It is hard to believe that there is a difference between the feeling between the Voyager and the Explorer, I can feel a difference with only fifty passengers more.  I personally prefer the Navagator, but i am more of a suburban/ country person than a city person.  The one problem that I found with the Explorer on the Japan to Alaska cruise was that the weather restricted the outdoor dinning which caused the indoor and covered dinning areas to be crowded.  They even moved some of the seating areas out to allow them to move the seating for the pool deck in from the open area.     

• Like 1

Got off the Navigator December 1st and now we have been on the Splendor, Explorer and the Mariner since covid.  The quality of the food is mediocre at best. Except Pacific Rim venue, the food is consistently wonderful.  So why can one restaurant get it but the rest do not?

The good chefs probably have never returned and they only have sous chefs !  If them. 

The overall service on all ships is also mediocre at best. It is so obvious that they are understaffed.

If the dining venues were here at home, we would never go back a second time. The dining rooms are a perfect example of poor staffing. The pool areas too. 

Sadly, the work LUXURY in Regents adverts is misleading. What has happened to the cruise line we loved and are just one sailing away from Titanium members?

• Like 3

Agree 100%. I don’t know what the specific problems are but this is definitely a different Regent from what I remember. Maybe it is a post COVID issue with staffing, etc. I do see similar issues at my favorite restaurants on land as well. It is the inconsistency that stands out to me.

• Like 1