Luggage Tags

cruiser2015

Does NCL mail luggage tags pre-cruise or not?

I know you can print them at home; most comments on this board indicate that's what folks are doing.

I was considering purchasing tag protectors (a small investment) for home printed ones - not really necessary if they send you the heavy duty paper, self gluing type. Some purchaser comments, including earlier this year, mentioned that they received tags in the mail.

I used the self printed type on my last few cruises. Not really a problem other than scrounging for a stapler or tape to secure them.

I'm also guessing that protectors are useless for disembarkation.

Comments appreciated.

• Like 1

I received mine in the mail about 45 days out, but I always use the printed ones because I trust my luggage tag holders just a little more than the adhesive tags. Yes, I’m probably fine and a little paranoid about the adhesive ones…but that’s me.
Just saw the post above and yes, I’m in The Haven so maybe that’s why I get them

Edited by TheDawg79
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, cruiser2015 said:

I know you can print them at home; most comments on this board indicate that's what folks are doing.

I was considering purchasing tag protectors (a small investment) for home printed ones - not really necessary if they send you the heavy duty paper, self gluing type. Some purchaser comments, including earlier this year, mentioned that they received tags in the mail.

I used the self printed type on my last few cruises. Not really a problem other than scrounging for a stapler or tape to secure them.

Comments appreciated.

Get the protectors.  Put them on your luggage just prior to giving your luggage to the porters.  No need for protectors after debarkation.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Get the protectors.  Put them on your luggage just prior to giving your luggage to the porters.  No need for protectors after debarkation.

After debarkation? Of course not.

Who tags the bags for the night time pickup? Are they giving them to the passengers or are the porters tagging them per a schedule?

Just now, cruiser2015 said:

After debarkation? Of course not.

Who tags the bags for the night time pickup? Are they giving them to the passengers or are the porters tagging them per a schedule?

See the OP: "I'm also guessing that protectors are useless for disembarkation."

1 minute ago, RocketMan275 said:

See the OP: "I'm also guessing that protectors are useless for disembarkation."

I am the OP.  🤨

Is that your sneaky way of telling me that the porters do the tagging?

I know they have to be coded based on your departure schedule, so they need to be re-tagged.

2 minutes ago, debenson0723 said:

You pick up the color coded tags from guest services based on your time of disembarkation. Porters are not NCL employees and would not be on the ship the night before.

I meant porter in the generic sense; meaning: ship's personnel - stewards I suppose.

4 minutes ago, cruiser2015 said:

I am the OP.  🤨

Is that your sneaky way of telling me that the porters do the tagging?

I know they have to be coded based on your departure schedule, so they need to be re-tagged.

Just my agreeing with your comment that protectors are 'useless for debarkation'.  Still, I recommend getting the protectors.  They can be reused on any future cruise.  We usually carry our own bags off the ship so we don't have any need for the holders at debarkation. 

Although we cruise the Haven we still print our own tags.  After printing, I place them in the holders and put the holders in the luggage.  I put them on the luggage just prior to giving the luggage to the porters.  When the bags arrive at our cabin, I remove the holders and place the protectors inside the lugguge.  We keep them inside the luggage for the next cruise.

• Like 2

My next NCL cruise is my 4th and my first time ever receiving luggage tags in the mail (35 days out). I’m not in the Haven this time around, but have sailed in the Haven in the past and not received tags. I’m not sure this is helpful, but the answer seems to be *sometimes*….

Edited by rnfulk
Added info

23 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Just my agreeing with your comment that protectors are 'useless for debarkation'.  Still, I recommend getting the protectors.  They can be reused on any future cruise.  We usually carry our own bags off the ship so we don't have any need for the holders at debarkation. 

Although we cruise the Haven we still print our own tags.  After printing, I place them in the holders and put the holders in the luggage.  I put them on the luggage just prior to giving the luggage to the porters.  When the bags arrive at our cabin, I remove the holders and place the protectors inside the lugguge.  We keep them inside the luggage for the next cruise.

As the tags for debark are ship provided, I'll guess they don't fit well in the holders anyway.

My practice has been to tag the bags at my hotel so they are ready to go out of the cab.

For our last sailing, pre-covid, we drove to the pier, so we tagged at home.

I've also been tagging my carry on (aside from a standard ID tag)  just in case it should go astray between boarding and cabin availability.

1 hour ago, cruiser2015 said:

Comments appreciated.

These work great, being using them for years   https://amzn.to/46IO5fq

6 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

These work great, being using them for years   https://amzn.to/46IO5fq

I use a slightly different version of those since we primarily cruise on Princess.  They seem to be just a tad bit wider and *should* fit any cruise line.  I could not find my old order, but these are essentially the same thing:

https://www.amazon.com/Oicumic-Luggage-Waterproof-Suitcases-Essentials/dp/B0CHRKR3CK/ref=sr_1_5?crid=15LVVAX3VNCCO&keywords=cruise+luggage+tag&qid=1701983083&sprefix=cruise+luggage+tag%2Caps%2C101&sr=8-5

29 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

I use a slightly different version of those since we primarily cruise on Princess.  They seem to be just a tad bit wider and *should* fit any cruise line.  I could not find my old order, but these are essentially the same thing:

https://www.amazon.com/Oicumic-Luggage-Waterproof-Suitcases-Essentials/dp/B0CHRKR3CK/ref=sr_1_5?crid=15LVVAX3VNCCO&keywords=cruise+luggage+tag&qid=1701983083&sprefix=cruise+luggage+tag%2Caps%2C101&sr=8-5

On amazon, you can order tag holders tailored  to specific cruise lines.

• Like 1

We cruise in the Haven and have received luggage tags for all of our cruises. Most of the time we forget them and just have a porter (an actual porter at the terminal) put a luggage tag on for us. We've never had an issue with these tags breaking - we're minimalists so not in the category of buying other things to make things more complicated. Best wishes and have a wonderful cruise! 

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

On amazon, you can order tag holders tailored  to specific cruise lines.

Good deal.

I ordered a different brand @ $5 for 6 (it was $5.07 for 4). Sized for Norwegian.

Also picked up a few magnetic hooks.

They will be here tonight. Good old Amazon.

Edited by cruiser2015

2 minutes ago, cruiser2015 said:

Good deal.

I ordered a different brand @ $5 for 6 (it was $5.07 for 4). Sized for Norwegian.

I must have ordered something different.  Cruise Tags - Cruise Ship Luggage Etag Holder with Zip Seal & Steel Loops (4 Pack).  I liked  the steel loops with the screw closures because I felt these were very sturdy.