'Twas Two Weeks Before Christmas - Live from the Nieuw Statendam, Dec. 10 - 17, 2023

POA1

For breakfast, Michelle had her usual cappuccino, a fruit cup, and 2 eggs over easy.

17027198445324.thumb.jpg.4cbc5e6f6d47ce42c1a41a0c17f7a906.jpg

17027198446677.thumb.jpg.3dfed5e59c51f124382ab2648f1598fd.jpg

I had the American breakfast, scrambled eggs, no toast.

17027198447820.thumb.jpg.1a84be710d164466e04b7d878d12383d.jpg

I wanted to try the croissant bread pudding? There's only one size portion, so I wound up with a big honking bowl. It was quite good and more in line with what Michelle was expecting with last night's dessert.

17027198444863.thumb.jpg.86190b8b1b5ccd9159f1f90a5ab9ada9.jpg

And finally - Michelle has been ordering chocolate croissants as a write-in on the room service breakfast menu for decades. She was delighted to see that there are two types of chocolate croissants. There is the little one which is the classic version. There's also a bigger, prettier version.

17027198444522.thumb.jpg.3145b9ec03a5289505ab0646f610e8aa.jpg

She preferred the old style one. (So there's hope for me yet!)

• Like 10

If you like scallops, order them.  They were better in CO than they were in the Pinnacle.  Thanks for taking us along on the NS.  I look forward to my first time aboard her for two weeks in March.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, POA1 said:

For breakfast...

I wanted to try the croissant bread pudding? There's only one size portion, so I wound up with a big honking bowl. It was quite good and more in line with what Michelle was expecting with last night's dessert.

17027198444863.thumb.jpg.86190b8b1b5ccd9159f1f90a5ab9ada9.jpg

And finally - Michelle has been ordering chocolate croissants as a write-in on the room service breakfast menu for decades. She was delighted to see that there are two types of chocolate croissants. There is the little one which is the classic version. There's also a bigger, prettier version.

17027198444522.thumb.jpg.3145b9ec03a5289505ab0646f610e8aa.jpg

She preferred the old style one. (So there's hope for me yet!)

Happy to hear the bread pudding met Institute standards; we quite enjoyed it via room service each morning w/pre breakfast coffee 🤭

The large chocolate croissant is what Grand Dutch Cafe serves; they also have a strawberry (red "ribbon") and 1 that remains a mystery to me (the "ribbon" is natural color so it blends w/the croissant - think it's maybe vanilla,  but didn't ask). The chocolate is indeed very different in those large ones, but they're pretty 😉 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, 0106 said:

If you like scallops, order them.  They were better in CO than they were in the Pinnacle.  Thanks for taking us along on the NS.  I look forward to my first time aboard her for two weeks in March.

I second this.  They were good on the Koningsdam and even better on the Rotterdam.  If the N Statendam can cook fish (you already know if this is the case), they will be great.

• Like 3

Just now, 0106 said:

You must be a mind reader! We are bothered planning to order scallops. We saw tonight's menu last night. (Siri in the CO dining room showed us.) However, it was the MDR menu without the CO Special.

• Like 4

Just now, Haljo1935 said:

Happy to hear the bread pudding met Institute standards; we quite enjoyed it via room service each morning w/pre breakfast coffee 🤭

The large chocolate croissant is what Grand Dutch Cafe serves; they also have a strawberry (red "ribbon") and 1 that remains a mystery to me (the "ribbon" is natural color so it blends w/the croissant - think it's maybe vanilla,  but didn't ask). The chocolate is indeed very different in those large ones, but they're pretty 😉 

The white striped giant croissant is indeed vanilla.

Michelle liked the little one because it's more of a piped in chocolate ganache. Lisa's husband Tom liked the large one.

• Like 3

Just now, kazu said:

I second this.  They were good on the Koningsdam and even better on the Rotterdam.  If the N Statendam can cook fish (you already know if this is the case), they will be great.

We were drawn to the scallops because we don't often have them now that we live in Florida. When we were in Maine we could have scallops just about any time we wanted. In fact, diver harvested scallops were fairly common. Not so in South Florida. We have some tasty ground fish, pretty good ocean fish, and that heinous, spiny lobster. (Hey! Let's fight about that! 😉)

I do miss North Atlantic fish.

• Like 7

Our Plan C lunch today was three stop, roving affair. First, we had a burger from the Dive In.

Michelle had the High Dive. I had the Gainer (as in weight, I suppose.)

divein_menu_2021_noshake(3)_00000_updated.thumb.png.5b38f361c0bdfda074ca78b0214adc95.png

Then, I got in line to order two milkshakes from the Gelato place. Vanilla for me & chocolate for Michelle. We planned to order the fancier flavors, but they were out. (Does that make this Plan D?)

While I was in line for shakes, Michelle went to the Lido bar for a Kahlua for her shake and Myers Dark Rum for mine.

17027407209421.thumb.jpg.6c591073be7274a29347238528698f79.jpg

We brought along some of our own plastic bendy straws because paper straws make us sad when they get soggy. (Don't fret. We will take them off the ship and dispose of them properly.)

If it's not complicated enough already, we then went to the Dutch Cafe for French fries. Michelle said that they were hotter and saliter than the ones from the Dive In, and they'd pair better with the milkshakes. She let's me pair the wine all the time, so I'm not about to argue.

17027405362180.thumb.jpg.9315a32319a2115b915f6156b1e7b9cd.jpg

Having eaten our not-even-slightly-complicated lunch, we went to the room to pack.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, hrhdhd said:

What did you think of the vanilla milkshake?

Michelle did not like mine. She liked the chocolate better. (She says, stressing her lack of competiveness.)

I thought the flavor of the vanilla was fine, but I could have used a thicker consistency. Especially when you are adding liquor.

This gives us a project for the Rotterdam in a few months. Operation Thickness with a Quickness.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

We are all packed up and ready to go. We'll have to put tonight's dinner outfits in a rolling garment bag later. Our suitcases don't have to be out until midnight because of our four starocity and orangeability. I don't think suiteness factors in when you are in a Vista Suite or Signature Suite.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, POA1 said:

Poohby Joe's bow ties are packed in an inside pocket of a packed suitcase. He apologizes for his casual outfit, but would like to point out that his tag is not showing.

17027455425802.jpg

Well done, Poohby Joe, well done!!

Michelle looks like such a proud PJ mama she's glowing 😁

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

We're doing pregame at the Grand Dutch Café. Michelle is taking the suggestion from a fellow scientist and having the Chocolate Espresso Martini.

I honestly tried to order the Holland America 150th Anniversary Pilsner, but they were out. My alternate selection was Maker's Mark on the rocks. The Bubble of Awesome works in mysterious ways.

17027462580003.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, POA1 said:

We're doing pregame at the Grand Dutch Café. Michelle is taking the suggestion from a fellow scientist and having the Chocolate Espresso Martini.

I honestly tried to order the Holland America 150th Anniversary Pilsner, but they were out. My alternate selection was Maker's Mark on the rocks. The Bubble of Awesome works in mysterious ways...

Ooh - so exciting!! Riveting entertainment.  I am anxiously awaiting final scores 🤷‍♀️

• Like 3

Interesting observation: The cheese course is on the MDR menu, but not on the Club Orange menu.

I was reflecting on the fact that I haven't had a cheese course for dessert, and I realized that it's not on the menu.

• Like 2

Look as if you are in for the "cradle" to rock and roll tonight.  Sleep well!  The later you can get off the ship tomorrow morning the better as they are still forecasting rain until 900a. 

I so enjoy your cruising posts and thank you for the time you take to keep us all educated and entertained. Perhaps I'll get to meet Poohby Joe in March on the Rotterdam.

• Like 1

Just now, regnig said:

Look as if you are in for the "cradle" to rock and roll tonight.  Sleep well!  The later you can get off the ship tomorrow morning the better as they are still forecasting rain until 900a. 

I so enjoy your cruising posts and thank you for the time you take to keep us all educated and entertained. Perhaps I'll get to meet Poohby Joe in March on the Rotterdam.

We're only a 10 minute cab ride from Port Everglades, so we will probably linger. Poohby Joe does not really make public appearances. He pops out for the occasional photo, but carrying him around all the time would be a little creepy.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, POA1 said:

We're only a 10 minute cab ride from Port Everglades, so we will probably linger. Poohby Joe does not really make public appearances. He pops out for the occasional photo, but carrying him around all the time would be a little creepy.

Well then I guess I'll have to settle for you and Michelle. 😉

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, POA1 said:

I was reflecting on the fact that I haven't had a cheese course for dessert, and I realized that it's not on the menu.

You can order a cheese plate for dessert even if you don’t see it on the menu.  Go for it!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have loved all your wonderful stories and photos.  I love caviar but I am careful where I buy it from.  Can you recall the origin of your caviar.  I couldn't zoom in enough.  Have a nice last night aboard.  

Edited by ottahand7
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, POA1 said:

I honestly tried to order the Holland America 150th Anniversary Pilsner, but they were out. My alternate selection was Maker's Mark on the rocks. The Bubble of Awesome works in mysterious ways.

17027462580003.jpg

What was Michelle's concensus on the Martini? It sounds good.

• Like 1