Returning to HAL - comparison to X

Xcelsior

Okay, I ranted about the lack of entertainment on HAL vs world-class entertainment on Edge-class ships. I just found a big potential plus for HAL for certain people, in my case a solo retired cruiser within a drive of Alaska ports and 2-hour flights of San DIego. I signed up for the standby program on Koningsdam for a 7-night cruise in January, which is $49/nt per person, and I expected the usual double amount for a solo, but was amazed to actually not be discriminated against for once. So even if I don't make it on this one, that definitely gives HAL a price advantage over all other lines. That especially is more solo-friendly than Celebrity, which now routinely tries to charge solo cruisers more than twice the price of 2 people cruising. It's possible to get around it, by simply booking another person who doesn't show up, but it leaves a bad taste at having to lie when booking and at the port, of feeling a 'we don't want your kind because you don't spend as much as a couple', and it makes searching by price a pain, because occasionally they do have solo discounts. Of course, the standby program might be just a tease and few people get spots, with high demand making long standby lists, and they could try to change the program or limit future standby sailings, especially when Alaska/Europe season comes, but with current high prices for most lines all over now, it would definitely give HAL my loyalty.

• Thanks 1

We were really torn about booking

A spring break cruise for 2024. We are avid Holland America enthusiasts. We have

Probably been on 15 HAL cruises.

Last year we went on the Celebrity Beyond and were wowed every second the entire cruise.

After getting off the ship, I figured any ship I set foot on in the future would be taking ten steps down. On Holland America we would always pop into the production shows in the back row, hear two songs and leave. On Celevrity we would get to the theater one hour before showtime to get a seat and on Eden 90 minutes. The shows were incredible 

This year we could have gone on the Ascent for 7 days, or the Rotterdam for 9 days with an overnight in Curacao. We opted for the 9 day Holland America, and hope we made the right choice.

As beautiful as the Betond was, I must say nothing beats the Holland America Lido for a buffet at sea. I thought the food on Hal was slightly better than on Celebrity.

The celebrity had four different restaurants but we missed the big Grand dining room that are on the Holland ships. 

The specialty restaurants on Celebrity were excellent but they are a bit pricey compared to having some street cred on Hal (Mariner Status)

I missed the Tamarind 

We love BB Kings club and look forward to the rock and roll club as well.

The crew on Celebrity were excellent friendly warm and had no complaints

The only thing they lacked was they

Just weren't my guys. The Holland America crew we’re so used to

Edited by Wakepatrol

1 hour ago, Wakepatrol said:

This year we could have gone on the Ascent for 7 days, or the Rotterdam for 9 days with an overnight in Curacao. We opted for the 9 day Holland America, and hope we made the right choice.

If these were for the Spring Break cruise, you made the right choice!

Which Blue-Hulled Beauty will you be sailing on?