Returning to HAL - comparison to X

Xcelsior

I "may" be sailing on the Nieuw Statendam shortly on the NYE cruise, utilizing the new standby program.  I have not sailed on HAL in 23 years!  My preferred lines are Celebrity and Azamara.  How does HAL, specifically Nieuw Statendam compare to Celebrity these days?  I realize this is a forum for HAL fans, but would appreciate honest opinions on the comparison.  Also, I am not sure if the Have it All package will be available for me to purchase with the standby fare if I do get onboard, but....at $55 per day it seems almost too good to be true.  Do they charge 18% gratuity on top of this I assume?  Is the Signature drink package good enough if you like cocktails? eg. Whiskey Sours, martinis etc.

I can’t compare but the N. Statendam is a clean, fresh newer ship and one of my favorites. The tips are included in the HIA package.  My understanding is the new program notifies you at least 7 days in advance and that is sufficient time to purchase the HiA package. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Mary229 said:

I can’t compare but the N. Statendam is a clean, fresh newer ship and one of my favorites. The tips are included in the HIA package.  My understanding is the new program notifies you at least 7 days in advance and that is sufficient time to purchase the HiA package. 

Thank you.  Is the current pricing for HIA still $55 per day?  Sorry - another question...do you know the price of a spa pass for the entire cruise?

8 minutes ago, Xcelsior said:

...Also, I am not sure if the Have it All package will be available for me to purchase with the standby fare if I do get onboard, but....at $55 per day it seems almost too good to be true.  Do they charge 18% gratuity on top of this I assume?  Is the Signature drink package good enough if you like cocktails? eg. Whiskey Sours, martinis etc.

I also cannot compare to X (or Azamara), but I was just reading another post on this board this morning, that opined that the Pinnacle class ships (Koningsdam, N.Statendam, Rotterdam VII) seemed designed to compete with the X ships at the time of K'dam launch. The Nieuw Statendam was scheduled for drydock for Nov 5 to 26, 2023 -- it will have StarLink and a fresh face!

HIA is the best deal! It is actually cheaper than just the Signature Beverage Package, because SBP's $54.95 pppd is actually $64.84 after the service charge, while HIA is $55pppd full stop.

SBP covers more than "well drinks" -- you can specify your liquor up to $11/shot. Unfortunately the new bar menus @Crew News (Roger Jett) has posted do not list the full range of liquor available, so there will be a bit of "Is this under $11?" to establish your regulars! There are relatively few 'spirits' restricted to the $15 Elite Beverage Package -- mostly top shelf scotch/tequila/cognac. This is only a sample:

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/10/Beverage-Package-Contents.pdf

With the SBP, if you do order a drink over $11, you pay only the difference plus 18%.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, crystalspin said:

I also cannot compare to X (or Azamara), but I was just reading another post on this board this morning, that opined that the Pinnacle class ships (Koningsdam, N.Statendam, Rotterdam VII) seemed designed to compete with the X ships at the time of K'dam launch. The Nieuw Statendam was scheduled for drydock for Nov 5 to 26, 2023 -- it will have StarLink and a fresh face!

HIA is the best deal! It is actually cheaper than just the Signature Beverage Package, because SBP's $54.95 pppd is actually $64.84 after the service charge, while HIA is $55pppd full stop.

SBP covers more than "well drinks" -- you can specify your liquor up to $11/shot. Unfortunately the new bar menus @Crew News (Roger Jett) has posted do not list the full range of liquor available, so there will be a bit of "Is this under $11?" to establish your regulars! There are relatively few 'spirits' restricted to the $15 Elite Beverage Package -- mostly top shelf scotch/tequila/cognac. This is only a sample:

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/10/Beverage-Package-Contents.pdf

With the SBP, if you do order a drink over $11, you pay only the difference plus 18%.

THANK YOU SO MUCH.  This is very helpful information.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

I am just off Nieuw Statendam and with the HIA I was able to enjoy a variety of cocktails including dirty martinis, a delicious cucumber mojito, a grapefruit cosmo, lemon drop, and even HAL’s special holiday cocktails - all with no additional charge. There are also a couple of handfuls of wines by the glass under the $11 charge.

I have sailed Celebrity (2x), HAL (2x), Azamara and Oceania this year. While it is still more quiet during the day and lacks glitzy production shows (or classical music), the NA is a lovely ship. In the Music Walk at night you get some of the same buzz as in the Martini Bar on X.

Disclaimer: I haven’t been on any of the Edge class ships. 

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I am just off Nieuw Statendam and with the HIA I was able to enjoy a variety of cocktails including dirty martinis, a delicious cucumber mojito, a grapefruit cosmo, lemon drop, and even HAL’s special holiday cocktails - all with no additional charge. There are also a couple of handfuls of wines by the glass under the $11 charge.

I have sailed Celebrity (2x), HAL (2x), Azamara and Oceania this year. While it is still more quiet during the day and lacks glitzy production shows (or classical music), the NA is a lovely ship. In the Music Walk at night you get some of the same buzz as in the Martini Bar on X.

Disclaimer: I haven’t been on any of the Edge class ships. 

I was on the Edge at Easter - there were things I liked about it and things I didn't like about it.  It was a beautiful ship, but I honestly prefer the Millennium class over all others when sailing Celebrity.  The Martini bar on the Edge was not as good as the other classes IMHO.  I also could never get a seat.  it felt like it was sunken down into a basement at the bottom of the atrium as well.  The Music Walk sounds great - think I will enjoy that.

I have over 100 days on HAL, and 6 Celebrity cruises the past year, and got off Reflection yesterday. To me the obvious, glaring, depressing difference is that Celebrity had 3 production shows on a 6-nt cruise, with aerialists, acrobats, inflatable animals, lots of going into the audience. Edge-class ships have two production casts and 3 different venues and an amazing MainStage. . Dancers/singers also do atrium parties and shows. HAL decided singers/dancers cost money and so chose corporate sponsorship in music venues instead of shows. They’ve gotten rid of contracted interpretive dancers and another corporate sponsorship of a classical quintet, so now at nights you get some lame singers, a corporate history lecture, or a nature movie (corporate sponsorship, of course). It’s dreadful and sad for those of us who loved HAL production shows and who see production shows on every other large cruise line, including Broadway shows. On my Celebrity cruise I could have shows on stage and in the atrium most nights, but even on 4 nights on Eurodam I was completely bored, and walked out of the awful singing quartet. To me, no drinks, food, or level of service can make up for not having something basic to any cruise, especially not with the high prices of HAL now. 

• Like 1

I think you will find Nieuw Statendam more similar than different to Celebrity S class overall.

Although production shows are lacking compared to the Cirque type acts on Celebrity, the Music Walk venues on new HAL ships somewhat compensate.

Both lines are considered direct competitors in the superior mass market category.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rj59 said:

To me, no drinks, food, or level of service can make up for not having something basic to any cruise, especially not with the high prices of HAL now. 

I'm not discounting your opinion at all, but I just want to point out mine which is different.  After trying the production shows on our first few cruises we realized they weren't for us and stopped bothering.  We still like the contracted magicians, comedians, etc. but the big stage shows don't do anything for us.

So HAL dropping them was actually a huge benefit from our perspective, because we much more enjoy the musical entertainment they have now.  And the quality of drinks, food, and particularly service levels are perhaps the most important things to us.  For my family, HAL continues to deliver what we care about and enjoy.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Entertainment for us is the major difference.  We liked the shows on X, with more variety.  Food is about the same in the MDR.  We like the seating area at Cafe Bianco better than the Dutch Cafe, HAL for morning lattes.  Seating for buffet area on HAL was better situated.  

We sail depending on itinerary.  

• Like 1

Would be curious if/after you cruise of your updated comparison. I agree that the additional bars and music venue don't make up for the downgrade in HAL entertainment. Especially if the bands play the same songs every night. But since you haven't sailed HAL since the change, you may not have seen Step One or Contare or HALs history "lectures" or BBC movies multiple times over the past few years. Being a holiday cruise, one would suspect it will be a crowded cruise which may put a drag on the crew, service and inventory, especially at peak times. The Pinnacle Class ships are not like the old ocean liner ships (which we prefer) but I think you will find something to enjoy. 

Long time HAL cruiser who has started sailing with X for about the last year. I think the biggest difference is the entertainment. I found that X had way more activities throughout the day. I realize this is very subjective and depends on what you like to do so I am including a couple HAL programs from my cruise in May. 

On Celebrity there is a mainstage show with two performances every night (production show or guest entertainer). HAL has this most nights but not necessarily embarkation day or late night port calls. On these days there may be only one performance and it may be an EXC talk given by the Cruise & Travel Director (their new and improved title for cruise director). The EXC talks are all very good (highly structured/scripted with video integrated), and very informative, but IMO not a main stage show. Some nights the main show (with 2 performances) may be a BBC documentary or even a movie. 

The main shows on almost every ship (except those few that constantly do extended itineraries) is the Step One Dance Company. They have 4 shows and dance only with pre-recorded music. Same 4 shows on all ships. Two shows have some live music with the singers from either BB Kings or Billboard Onboard (who will thus not have their own shows, or have only one performance). Some people love these shows and some people hate them. If you are looking for a traditional broadway/production show you will probably be disappointed. If you like relatively modern music and dance with an LED display that has various projections on it that integrate with the show then you will be happy (imagine dancers standing in front of a picture of an elevator and getting in and dancing in front of it, or splashing paint from paint brushes against the backdrop and the color of their paint brush splatters on the wall behind them). 

The key entertainment feature on Holland America at night is the "Music Walk." On most ships this is either BB Kings Blues Club or Rolling Stone Lounge which plays mostly blues and other music from the 60s or so. On Pinnacle class ships add the Rolling Stone Rock Room which plays rock & roll (obviously). They also have Billboard Onboard which has 2 pianists who sing and play a variety of songs. 

No DJs on HAL. They do have "Dancing to the Hits" which is a preset mix of the same songs you might expect a DJ to play and usually goes after the last set in BB Kings. 

HAL doesn't really have cruise staff like other lines do. They have the Cruise & Travel Director who gives the EXC talks and introduces shows and what not. They also have an Entertainment Host who leads a lot of the activities/game show type things (name that tune, trivia, etc).

Atrium is very quiet, on HAL. None of the activities that you would usually find on X around the atrium (paper airplane contest, axe throwing, golf, etc.). They don't have any of that sort of thing whatsoever. On X ships the atrium is used as somewhat of a hub with Cafe al Bacio, activities, bars, etc. all right there. On HAL it is just more of a design feature but not a central hub in any way. 

You will probably find a flower arranging, oragami or cooking class at some point. In Alaska you will have a naturalist onboard. 

We do not usually dine in MDR or the buffet so I cannot really give a fair comparison, but have not had bad meal on HAL or X. Buffet on HAL is all served by someone, no self service of food at all. Dive In is far better than the Mast Grill IMO. Really like X pizza, but HAL pizza has cook to order that you can order through on the app on most ships. Be aware there is no lobster included on HAL on 7 night itineraries. You will pay a supplement in both the MDR and in specialty dining if you want lobster. 

What category cabin do you typically book? There are some substantial differences in the suite products if you are looking at a suite. If booking an interior/ocean view/balcony I think they are pretty comprable (except in the case of the infinite verandah on X). 

X has really gone up in pricing across the board. I found most of the shore excursions on X were significantly higher priced than the same exact tour on HAL. I always pay substantially less on my HAL cruise at every step (cruise fare for comparable cabin, excursions, other add ons). 

HAL has a much larger selection of in room movies than X. 

When we cruise we enjoy relaxing and are mostly interested in being left up to our own devices for entertainment and like having everything taken care of. We may take in a show or music at night but it is not central to our enjoyment. 

79577ADB-E758-49C2-B747-A32D182BEE30_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.bcb456aa2ebdf85d6ea9ed26056c009a.jpeg

68758E9C-D975-4700-A356-D96EF8694B71_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.caef4f467c0abd7db318257c05ab61af.jpeg

AAA383FF-3F4E-4BC4-9C17-17B0FC5B238E_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.b3036f6998e7818b43d2962811bbce32.jpeg

IMG_7690.thumb.jpeg.249c899c586bf574e64cb5693db93fe6.jpeg

908DA146-6707-4889-AB81-99C0F36DEE1F_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.20816ce7d3d557a28e05df1cb714821b.jpeg

EA4810ED-4B7C-400D-9F1C-F73446B7059E_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.de47a6c1b37cee258ac53811d3f940fb.jpeg

E7BC8D99-817F-451A-98FE-0E8A037973E9_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.360efedc25e40d3e01f16e996d527b39.jpeg

278AFE32-097C-4BB9-94EE-2D1C26561999_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.d654d2045abaa4f6fd2a56208c287d1b.jpeg

Compare that with my recent Celebrity Cruise. 

E9CD13EF-E736-4FA9-B78E-7FB9DE7502C9_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.c7ac22ea1483916c3b8e0f1b912dfa02.jpeg

80E7B2E8-6287-4905-B936-2041EF78AA40_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.8b95cc05369cd9786a778f3c1fd6a83c.jpeg

5A6AB7AE-CAAE-4C4B-8A74-EDC07D8E463F_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.b15fc531ce4a5d58245997e7ed915cfe.jpeg

70617E69-E3C5-49A5-8BE9-C11EFDF0D35C_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.527c253e4b2f0a05b1ad48fd051baf31.jpeg

EC4DEC0A-2DD7-4576-A8F6-E78A56983CB6_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.ea841ecd1bc2228a447c33ab36cabd4b.jpeg

164512BB-C3F7-4BA7-B54D-98F4FC4C7DD7_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.923d0b77fdd9de27bbfc3dbbf603927e.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

In 2023 we were on Oosterdam and Nieuw Statendam and

X’s Apex and Silhouette. Celebrity used to be our first

choice cruise line. No longer.  All the good things that have 

been mentioned so far about HAL we endorse. MusicWalk with the pianos and the rock band have been

very entertaining. We don’t go anywhere else

in the evenings. I am not at all keen on lavish

theatre productions. We enjoy the food with 

imaginative menus more than X. We don’t like ships

with no forward facing lounges which is an

additional reason for avoiding Edge Class vessels. I

hope these comments help the OP.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, montythecat said:

In 2023 we were on Oosterdam and Nieuw Statendam and

X’s Apex and Silhouette. Celebrity used to be our first

choice cruise line. No longer.  All the good things that have 

been mentioned so far about HAL we endorse. MusicWalk with the pianos and the rock band have been

very entertaining. We don’t go anywhere else

in the evenings. I am not at all keen on lavish

theatre productions. We enjoy the food with 

imaginative menus more than X. We don’t like ships

with no forward facing lounges which is an

additional reason for avoiding Edge Class vessels. I

hope these comments help the OP.

montythecat expressed very well our experience. After years of sailing equally most years on both lines, we tried out Nieuw Statendam and Edge the same first winter following their debuts.

Edge features such as the infinite veranda disappointed us after all the hype. Meanwhile, Pinnacle Class on HAL retained the line’s best features (wonderful crew, interesting itineraries, outdoor promenades, comfortable and plentiful seating in lounges) with addition of new entertainment features we really liked, such as Step One Dance and the Music Walk. The Club Orange dining room is a bonus.

Celebrity prices went up dramatically for the Sky Suites we used to book. Now, for example comparing an identical spring itinerary, we’ve booked a much roomier Neptune Suite on Rotterdam for the same price as an entry-level X Sky Suite on a 15-year old ship.

• Like 3

If you want a lot of activities and large production shows then I don't think Holland America is for you.  We sailed Celebrity for years and years but really didn't like their newer ships.  I did not like having to walk in the sun vs a promenade deck and having no forward area of the ship that I could actually get to.  I also find the new non veranda - verandas absurd.  I do not want a large glass window that opens in my room vs a separate veranda.  Also prices on Celebrity for these non veranda rooms are much higher than HAL's real veranda rooms.    I will also say as someone with food allergies I found HAL staff to be much more accommodating.   On my last cruise with  Celebrity I had to send back my food multiple times and I ended up eating way after everyone had left the dining room.  This was the last straw for us, and this was pre Covid.  

• Like 2

We have sailed 10 times on Celebrity on all classes of ship.  HAL we have sailed 4 times, including the Nieuw Statendam a little over a year ago.  We have 2 upcoming cruises booked with Celebrity and 1 with HAL.

There is lots to like about both lines and not much that we don't like.  Some things we prefer on HAL, others on Celebrity but nothing that is a game changer.  Now that we are retired and cruise more regularly,  we have started to alternate a bit more between the 2 lines based on itinerary and cost. If you do the same line too often you notice that production shows don't change that often and neither do the menus.  

Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 2

As others have said, both cruise lines have their plusses and minuses but everyone has a different opinion about what's important to them.  Yes, in general the standout difference is entertainment.  Celebrity clearly has the upper hand with their production numbers and shipboard activities. 

But other than that I cannot say we find anything compelling that draws us back to Celebrity over HAL and in general HAL offers much better overall value for money than Celebrity does, in my opinion. 

So this winter we have six cruises on HAL and three on X booked and will take advantage of those things on each line we prefer.  Even the better stage shows on X get boring because it's a lot of the same stuff repeated even if it is better.

B.B. King's band is usually the go-to for us on the Pinnacle ships but there is enough to keep us happy on both lines to keep us returning.

Edited by Real NHDOC
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Xcelsior said:

Thank you.  Is the current pricing for HIA still $55 per day?  Sorry - another question...do you know the price of a spa pass for the entire cruise?

Yes, $55/day for HIA; that was a very recent price increase, so hope to see it sit there a while.

Thermalpass is $50/day, $149/7 days, $299/14 days - no discount for pre-paying.

• Thanks 1

We are four star on Holland and just booked a cruise for October 2024 after sailing in Celebrity for the last five years.  OurCelebrity cruise this fall disappointed us in several ways: decline in quality and number of choices in main dining room,  cutback in staff in lounges so the beverage package was not worth purchasing, and production shows were repeats from the last two years. The staff was so overworked our cabin steward was always running late and forgetting requests we made to him.  The prices have increased quite a bit and the same itinerary from 2021 has been shortened by a day or two.we are trying Windstar this winter and look forward to trying something new.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi, 

I have sailed on three Celebrity cruises during the past two years (Celebrity Reflection in Feb. 2022, Celebrity Apex in April 2022, and Celebrity Beyond in Feb. 2023). I had not cruised with Holland America since 2009, but I recently cruised aboard the Rotterdam (Nov. 24 - Dec. 3, 2023). Overall, I was very pleased with the Rotterdam (which is the Nieuw Statendam's newer sister).  

I agree with a lot of the comments above comparing the two lines. In terms of food and service, I think the lines are comparable. As noted above, the main difference between the lines is the entertainment. The main evening shows are much better on Celebrity. The main shows on the Rotterdam were very modest. However, Holland America has the Music Walk, which I enjoyed.

I had the HIA package on the Rotterdam and think it worked out well. The tips for drinks are covered by the package. 

Chuck