Seward accommodations-Harbor 360 or Breeze Inn?

surgie

We will disembark our cruise in Seward in July and plan to do sightseeing in the area for that day (6 adults and 5 kids ages 5-11). We won't have a car and plan to eat dinner in town. Both the Harbor 360 and the Breeze Inn are available for the night we need. Any reason to choose one over the other? The Breeze Inn is cheaper.

4 minutes ago, surgie said:

We will disembark our cruise in Seward in July and plan to do sightseeing in the area for that day (6 adults and 5 kids ages 5-11). We won't have a car and plan to eat dinner in town. Both the Harbor 360 and the Breeze Inn are available for the night we need. Any reason to choose one over the other? The Breeze Inn is cheaper.

I prefer Harbor 360. I would grab it asap. If you are doing a Kenai Fjords boat tour through Major Marine - you will get a discount on the tour. That may make up for the difference.

Regardless - grab one or the other as these sell out quickly.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Coral said:

Regardless - grab one or the other as these sell out quickly.

Thanks - I was able to reserve both this morning but I want to cancel one asap to open it for others. I like the looks of Harbor 360 but don’t think we are doing Kenai Fjords tour. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, surgie said:

Thanks - I was able to reserve both this morning but I want to cancel one asap to open it for others. I like the looks of Harbor 360 but don’t think we are doing Kenai Fjords tour. 

It used to be a Holiday Inn Express right when it was built. It looks like those hotels.

• Like 2

I also recommend the Harbor 360.  They offer some packages which include lodging and a Kenai Fjords excursion, are very attractive.  Major Marine, which owns the Harbor 360, is my preferred Kenai Fjords vendor.  The small boat experience is so different than the  cruise ship experience.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Coral said:

It used to be a Holiday Inn Express right when it was built. It looks like those hotels.

We did a couple of pre-cruise stays at the Holiday Inn Express in Seward many years ago.  Loved the convenient location.

• Like 1

We also stayed at the property prior to its purchase by Major Marine.  After the purchase by Major Marine the breakfast room was modified to expand the seating area.  And one of the meeting rooms has been modified and is now the check-ln area for the Major Marine excursions.  So you check in for your Major Marine tour, finish your breakfast, drop by the hotel room to brush your teeth before heading out for your day trip.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, surgie said:

The Kenai fjords tour is really good. Highlight of Seward for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Coral said:

The Kenai fjords tour is really good. Highlight of Seward for me.

Yes, I agree - my husband and I did the 6 hour Major Marine tour in 2015 and it was awesome. But our adults kids think it is too long of a trip for their kids after being on the weeklong cruise. And it is pretty pricey when paying for 4 or 5 people that might be mildly interested so they have decided to forgo it on this trip. Maybe when their kids are older...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, surgie said:

Yes, I agree - my husband and I did the 6 hour Major Marine tour in 2015 and it was awesome. But our adults kids think it is too long of a trip for their kids after being on the weeklong cruise. And it is pretty pricey when paying for 4 or 5 people that might be mildly interested so they have decided to forgo it on this trip. Maybe when their kids are older...

Are you doing Ididaride with the kids?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Coral said:

Are you doing Ididaride with the kids?

Not sure - I have just finished planning each port, now looking at Seward since we aren't doing the Kenai Fjords tour. Do you recommend it? We are doing a private excursion in Skagway where one of the stops is at a self dog camp. A couple of the grandkids are a bit fearful of dogs but stopping is fine since they can choose to hang back. Just not sure I want to plan an excursion where we'd ride in a wheeled cart but would love to hear your thoughts. 

9 hours ago, surgie said:

Not sure - I have just finished planning each port, now looking at Seward since we aren't doing the Kenai Fjords tour. Do you recommend it? We are doing a private excursion in Skagway where one of the stops is at a self dog camp. A couple of the grandkids are a bit fearful of dogs but stopping is fine since they can choose to hang back. Just not sure I want to plan an excursion where we'd ride in a wheeled cart but would love to hear your thoughts. 

I have not been since they have redone it. My TA who is older (and loves dogs) went a few years ago and had gone to several on that trip and on previous trips (including Husky Homestead in Denali) and thought this one was by far the best.  She still raves about this.

Though if you have one who is fearful, then it is best to not do it.

This maybe a good port to split up and do different things. Or do one activity together and then split up. I personally would hate to miss a Kenai Fjords trip here though I understand some may not want to do that.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1