Caribbean Level

amajaa

Coming up is our second cruise at Caribbean Level. Can I ask please what is this monthly magazine we are supposed to get and also it says Christmas Gift. Has anyone had their Christmas Gift yet please as we are away , on a cruise off course, for Christmas so didn't want it to be sat on the doorstep for 2 weeks. 

We have also never had a monthly magazine.

On our first cruise as Caribbean we never got priority boarding . We had a boarding time of 4.30 so I phoned P & O and they said don't worry they will let you on anyway. They didn't, they said it doesn't say that we don't care what P & O said so we queued for over 3 hours. Fortunately this time it actually says priority boarding.

I see elsewhere the list of the future Captains had been published , apparently it was in a magazine. What magazine was that, we haven't had anything.

Thanks for any replies especially about the Christmas Gift which I'm guessing might be a calender 

We’ve not had a monthly magazine either. We haven’t received a Christmas gift this year, but in previous years we received a wall calendar, but that was as Mediterranean tier. Hope they re-think the gift, as the only person I know who still uses wall calendars is my 83 year old mother 😂 

Thankfully we do get the only three meaningful benefits - priority boarding, the Caribbean lunch and 10% discount on pre cruise purchases or onboard (once OBC is used up). The ability to book a few days early was also useful when launch prices were never beaten, but those days have gone!

Edited by Selbourne
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Actually I do.  I have one in the kitchen to remind me of the odd thing.

A youngster like you Jean? I thought wall calendars were just for the old folk who didn’t use the diaries on their smart phones 😳 😂 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

We’ve not had a monthly magazine either. We haven’t received a Christmas gift this year, but in previous years we received a wall calendar, but that was as Mediterranean tier. Hope they re-think the gift, as the only person I know who still uses wall calendars is my 83 year old mother 😂 

Thankfully we do get the only three meaningful benefits - priority boarding, the Caribbean lunch and 10% discount on pre cruise purchases or onboard (once OBC is used up). The ability to book a few days early was also useful when launch prices were never beaten, but those days have gone!

I also have a wall calendar in the kitchen, but I also use the one on my phone 🤣

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

We certainly never had a calender as Mediterranean level , and we were Mediterranean years before Covid. Yes I would use a calender if we  had one, last year was the first year I never bought one,

I also understand you might get a Christmas gift on a Christmas cruise, what sort of gifts have people had in the past ? 

Yes, we have always had a Christmas gift left by Father Christmas but these have gone down in recent years. The best one I can remember was when I got a really good beach bag and DH got a man bag. Both have been in use since and this was well before COVID. Worst was one of those bubbly scenes in a glass dome that you had to shake to activate the snow. There were more in waste bins in the corridors next morning than people were taking home. Enjoy!!!

34 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

A youngster like you Jean? I thought wall calendars were just for the old folk who didn’t use the diaries on their smart phones 😳 😂 

Most people around here have wall calendars. They’re normally freebies from the oil supplier or various traders with room to make notes. In fact, farm kitchens might have more than one. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, amajaa said:

Coming up is our second cruise at Caribbean Level. Can I ask please what is this monthly magazine we are supposed to get and also it says Christmas Gift. Has anyone had their Christmas Gift yet please as we are away , on a cruise off course, for Christmas so didn't want it to be sat on the doorstep for 2 weeks. 

We have also never had a monthly magazine.

On our first cruise as Caribbean we never got priority boarding . We had a boarding time of 4.30 so I phoned P & O and they said don't worry they will let you on anyway. They didn't, they said it doesn't say that we don't care what P & O said so we queued for over 3 hours. Fortunately this time it actually says priority boarding.

I see elsewhere the list of the future Captains had been published , apparently it was in a magazine. What magazine was that, we haven't had anything.

Thanks for any replies especially about the Christmas Gift which I'm guessing might be a calender 

The Magazine that you are referring to is probably "Moments" it comes out every few months or even twice yearly, the latest one that recently arrived is "Winter 2023/24" it has the Captains rota, it once used to have rotas for all senior staff.

Gifts, the yearly gift is the calender it always arrives in the nick of time. We have only been onboard over Christmas once 2015 and we received a P&O edition of Monopoly, Someone told me in the past they had silver cufflinks. I don't know if everyone received this onboard gift, The calendars we have had for so long we don't know what loyalty tier its tied to.

Edited by Bill Y

2 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Surely diaries on your phones are OK for daily use, but much more fiddly for looking at a  monthly view, and it's much more difficult to share a phone, than it is to share a calendar.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, terrierjohn said:

Surely diaries on your phones are OK for daily use, but much more fiddly for looking at a  monthly view, and it's much more difficult to share a phone, than it is to share a calendar.

Nah, I’m down with the young ‘uns John 😂 I use my iPad more than my phone, so month views are dead easy. My wife and I periodically check that our diaries are in sync.

• Like 1

Just now, Selbourne said:

Nah, I’m down with the young ‘uns John 😂 I use my iPad more than my phone, so month views are dead easy. My wife and I periodically check that our diaries are in sync.

Don't care for silly Apples with all their own connections that cost a fortune to replace, much happier with my user friendly Samsung and it's dead simple Android OS.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Bill Y said:

The Magazine that you are referring to is probably "Moments" it comes out every few months or even twice yearly, the latest one that recently arrived is "Winter 2023/24" it has the Captains rota, it once used to have rotas for all senior staff.

Gifts, the yearly gift is the calender it always arrives in the nick of time. We have only been onboard over Christmas once 2015 and we received a P&O edition of Monopoly, Someone told me in the past they had silver cufflinks. I don't know if everyone received this onboard gift, The calendars we have had for so long we don't know what loyalty tier its tied to.

Ours arrived last week and we aren't yet Caribbean.  It was really interesting with some stunning news, which needs to remain a secret ( concerning godmothers ).It was issue 16 and was much more interestinger than previous issues. 🤣

1 hour ago, pennib said:

Yes, we have always had a Christmas gift left by Father Christmas but these have gone down in recent years. The best one I can remember was when I got a really good beach bag and DH got a man bag. Both have been in use since and this was well before COVID. Worst was one of those bubbly scenes in a glass dome that you had to shake to activate the snow. There were more in waste bins in the corridors next morning than people were taking home. Enjoy!!!

That's a bit ungrateful to just dump a gift. I can understand if you are on a fly cruise it might not be practical to get it home but at least see if any of the crew or anyone on shore want it.

If you are cruising from Southampton and you don't want it , take it to your local charity shop. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I like a picture calendar.  We keep ours on the back of the kitchen door. I can't remember who gives it to us, but this year's one has a picture of the Great Wall of China on December's and says velly melly Christmas.🤣

4 minutes ago, amajaa said:

That's a bit ungrateful to just dump a gift. I can understand if you are on a fly cruise it might not be practical to get it home but at least see if any of the crew or anyone on shore want it.

If you are cruising from Southampton and you don't want it , take it to your local charity shop. 

I like the snow storm dome things. Quite appropriate for Christmas.

2 hours ago, Selbourne said:

How dare you !   I do use my Google Calendar, but just like to have one of the charity calendars on my wall.  Not actually sure why!!

• Haha 1

We like a calendar on the kitchen wall where we can see everything at a glance.  If we used the calendars on our phones we would each be aware of what the other has planned so could agree to something when the other one wasn't  available.

I do put my plans on my phone if I need a reminder to go somewhere or do something important.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Ha! We use our wall calendars to note what the children, my mother and my brother’s families are also doing/going so it’s easier to discuss over dinner and make notes straight away on the calendar. 

20 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

How dare you !   I do use my Google Calendar, but just like to have one of the charity calendars on my wall.  Not actually sure why!!

The one direction calendar is quite good this year Jean. Some tasteful images of Harry. I got one for DW.🤣

Edited by zap99