Refundable OBC - Dragging out the dead horse for more kicking

schmoopie17

So...Refundable OBC has to be used or you have to go to CS on the last day to get the excess in cash. Got it.

However, if Refundable OBC can be used to pay the DSC, what does that process look like? 

On the last day do you go to CS and ask them that any excess be applied to the DSC, or does it somehow magically get transferred (somehow I doubt it).

We'll have both Refundable and Non-Refundable OBC on our next cruise. The process is so murky I almost wish we had neither.

And if we get CN certificates, it will get even murkier. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

does it somehow magically get transferred (somehow I doubt it).

That's exactly how it works.  Refundable (and non-refundable for that matter) is applied to your account against anything that's charged to your account. Their system identifies what's eligible, what's not (sort of, sometimes CN is counted as eligible for shareholder OBC). You don't choose how it's applied.

Since you can pay DSC with refundable OBC, it should be taken care of. Only time you would have to go to CS is if you still are owed a refund.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

On the last day do you go to CS and ask them that any excess be applied to the DSC, or does it somehow magically get transferred (somehow I doubt it).

I'll second the statement that it happens automatically.  Only need to go to CS if you have leftovers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It happens automatically on a daily/realtime  basis.  Incoming charges get deducted from an appropriate OBC bucket until the OBC bucket is empty.  You can, and should, follow along using the TV screens in your cabin to check your bill up to that point in time.  Note, it can be confusing how the math is being done.  Especially on some ships’ TV screens.  You can always stop by guest services and they will print out your account charges up to that point.  This printout is usually easier to follow with respect to the 2 types of OBC.  

Edited by MeHeartCruising
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

So...Refundable OBC has to be used or you have to go to CS on the last day to get the excess in cash. Got it.

However, if Refundable OBC can be used to pay the DSC, what does that process look like? 

We'll have both Refundable and Non-Refundable OBC on our next cruise. The process is so murky I almost wish we had neither.

And if we get CN certificates, it will get even murkier. 

So hilarious - I cannot lie, I got a good chuckle out of the title of this thread.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1