Back to Back Shore Excursions...

Don_In_AZ

15 hours ago, Don_In_AZ said:

Thank you to everyone for your input.  I'll probably just chance it.

Did it once and will never do it again. First one was an hour late returning which gave us 30 minutes to find someplace to get something to eat and meet the second one.  We then vowed never to do two in the  same port again.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, SCX22 said:

On the same cruise, our arrival into Vancouver was delayed by an hour because the pilot took his sweet time to get to the ship.

They should have left him like they do to the passengers. 😉 

20 hours ago, memoak said:

I rarely even book more than 1 or 2 on an entire cruise. Nd er would book 2 in one port.  Way too many variables 

We have one stop on our upcoming cruise that has several excursions I wanted to do. Luckily, Prince had an excursion that combined them! It's one reason I went with their excursion instead of the cheaper versions from non-Princess providers.

4 hours ago, Joanne G. said:

I suspect a tour operator who doesn't keep to the agreed-upon schedule would be dropped by the cruise line.   

That may be why they got a refund too.

4 hours ago, Paula_MacFan said:

For people like us the cruise is all about the ports, getting out and seeing things we normally don't in our everyday lives.  We treat the ship as a floating hotel rather than the destination.  So while for you the 'main point of a cruise' is to relax, for others it's to see the world.  I can lounge around at home, or at a domestic resort hotel, but I can't see foreign ports everyday.  To each their own 🙂 

Just to clarify--we DO get off the ship and sightsee at every port and take advantage of what the location has to offer.  My point was that we do it on our own schedule and at a leisurely pace, stopping for coffee or whatever when we feel like it.  Joining a Princess-sponsored excursion at every port is what makes us feel "over-programmed."

1 hour ago, charliedalrymple said:

Just to clarify--we DO get off the ship and sightsee at every port and take advantage of what the location has to offer.  My point was that we do it on our own schedule and at a leisurely pace, stopping for coffee or whatever when we feel like it.  Joining a Princess-sponsored excursion at every port is what makes us feel "over-programmed."

Perfectly understandable!  Sometimes when my alarm goes off for an early excursion, I wonder what I am doing LOL.  Or when the bus whizzes past something that looks I would enjoy seeing more of.  It can be hard to decide what to do, especially in an unfamiliar port.   Enjoy all of your cruises the way you like!  

• Like 1

Hmmm, I never really thought about it-- but a couple of times on an Alaska sailing, on either Princess r Celebrity, forgot which one at the time:  We booked a morning activity that was a simple short bus ride tin Juneau to the ride up the mountain for views and back.  Had a 3 hour buffer afterwards for another short bus ride to Mendenhall Glacier area and back.  I think if you really allow plenty of time between the activities (I wouldn't do water based ones for scheduling two activites unless a 3 hour buffer.) there shouldn'et be any problems.

On 12/12/2023 at 2:56 PM, Don_In_AZ said:

...or I can just assume the risk.  Dunno...gonna have to think on it for a bit.

I'm curious if anyone else out there books more than one excursion per port?  

Some years ago, we did --  assume the risk that is.  We did back-to-back excursions while docked in Naples.  The more important was the morning excursion to Pompei.  The afternoon was a relatively inexpensive basic bus tour of Naples.  It was one of those we are there and we have time, so why not choices.    

We had about an hour, maybe even less,  between our return and the afternoon excursion departure.  We made it!  Even had time to grab a bite on board.   Had we not, and a refund refused, we would have been out of pocket $49 per person (as said, this was a few years ago).