Holland America 2023 (new) on-board cabana pricing

Happy Snowbird

Good to see HAL is  no longer offering these as "quiet, peaceful retreat spaces".  Just fresh air and  light-filled spaces.  You can decide if HAL allowing 2 adults and 6 children in an adjoining 2 person cabana is "relaxing".  Or allowing private boom boxes. Or if waiting an hour for Lido food delivery is "superb service". 

A real tribute to the "legacy of classic comfort" would be replacing the uncomfortable flat surface loungers with contoured teak deck chairs that are far more ergonomic.

....."Breathe the fresh sea air as you relax in your own private cabana. These light-filled

spaces are a legacy of classic glamour and style, enhanced by modern design and superb service.....

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jacqueet said:

The PDF is specific to the NA, and I wonder if the other ships are priced the same. Where online did you find this?

I believe prices are the same on all of the ships. I paid $530 for our cabana on our upcoming Rotterdam cruise in April.

• Like 1

Just checked for our Rotterdam trip in November of 2024…price for 2 person is $700 and I agree is worth it. We had a cabana on our sailing a few weeks ago and it was perfect. Very quiet with quick and attentive service. Will book again.

• Like 1

I am interested in the perceived benefits of the cabanas. We are currently booked in an aft verandah and stay up late at night, so do not see much benefit to the cabanas.  On a future cruise, we are booked into an interior stateroom.  We are wondering if renting a cabana is a better option than upgrading to a balcony.  Interested in opinions, good and bad, and hearing about service perks, hours, etc. Thank you for sharing the price list.

Edited by Tradestock
add

58 minutes ago, Tradestock said:

I am interested in the perceived benefits of the cabanas. We are currently booked in an aft verandah and stay up late at night, so do not see much benefit to the cabanas.  On a future cruise, we are booked into an interior stateroom.  We are wondering if renting a cabana is a better option than upgrading to a balcony.  Interested in opinions, good and bad, and hearing about service perks, hours, etc. Thank you for sharing the price list.

What would you find lacking in the standard outdoor and food service options already available on the ship?

Do you want a fixed private lounger location every day, sun, flapping wind, cold and/or rain? A glass of champagne and some chocolate strawberries in the afternoon? Piped in music overhead. Exclusive access to a private space, but risking how others may intrude on that same space. 

I liked the idea of the private cabana. I liked previously seeing them,  but I did not like the actual execution of them once we tried it. I would never do it again.  There are plenty of available outdoor spaces on board elsewhere. With access to food options and greater or lesser degrees of privacy.

• Like 3

Thank you OlsSalt for your thought provoking, hypothetical questions.  For us, a large portion of the decision would be the hours available and drink service.  Does the area have a dedicated server on both sea and port days?  If available, what time is service discontinued?  Is the cabana available 24/7 or does it have specific opening/closing hours? How is access to a rented cabana controlled, if at all? 

9 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

You can decide if HAL allowing 2 adults and 6 children in an adjoining 2 person cabana is "relaxing".

Yes, you did have a bad experience and HAL really did mess up letting children in that cabana, among other things.  I did note that the advertised cabanas listed in the ad specifically say 2 Adults and 4 Adults in the retreats.  The Lido cabanas are where families should be! 

"RETREAT CABANAS PRICING For two adults with two loungers"

image.png.843eff1c845d41c2a2a8e0169d50a9f6.png

• Thanks 2

I look at the cabana as an alternative to buying a Veranda cabin vs OV or interior.  It's still less than the cost differential between cabin classes in most cases and it gives you much more bang for the buck than upgrading to a veranda would.  I think HAL is special in that it doesn't require its guests to book suites in order to get cabanas.  I know on Celebrity you cannot get a cabana without being in a suite.

The cabana service is hit and miss, like everything on HAL.  Since Covid it generally hasn't been as good because the guys haven't really been trained well in what is to be expected of them.  Sometimes they have one or two attendants running around like chickens without heads when all of the cabanas are full and sometimes they have 3-4 guys standing around when they're half empty.  It's the fault of the beverage manager when cabana service is lacking.  There are some excellent B-M's and some terrible ones but it is their venue to manage.  Unfortunately there's no way to know before booking who is in charge on a particular cruise so you have to hope you get a good one with a good crew or else it can be a less than ideal experience.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I just called to book one for a  sea day on the Westerdam.  I waited 15 minutes to find out they won't sell day packages in advance.  I have to wait until I board the cruise. I am not sure if I will book at $105, though.  It seems a bit unfair to charge the same price for one person.  I don't think that the price should drop to half, but $70 seems fair.  But in a world where cabins now always get sold at 200%, I am positive cabanas will be sold at the same price.

No, you can only book an entire cruise beforehand not by the day.  You'll have to wait until the cruise starts and see what's available. 

They're really selling real estate, not the service so that's why they charge the same amount for one or two people.  The incremental extra cost to them of serving another chocolate covered strawberry or glass of sparkling wine is insignificant.  It's the space on the deck with a modicum of privacy that has value.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Crew News said:

After speaking with Ship Services, combining previous brochures, and the ad posted earlier for Nieuw Amsterdam, i assembled my own HAL Cabana Price and Layout document that covers all of the ships in the HAL Fleet:

HAL Cabana Prices and Layout 2023/24

Nice job putting together the visual, but I think the layout for Koningsdam, Nieuw Statendam, and Rotterdam is mislabeled. The layout with the numbered cabanas is the correct one for the Pinnacle Class ships. 

23 minutes ago, 510picker said:

Nice job putting together the visual, but I think the layout for Koningsdam, Nieuw Statendam, and Rotterdam is mislabeled. The layout with the numbered cabanas is the correct one for the Pinnacle Class ships. 

Thanks for your error catch.  I have replaced the figure with the correct one.  

HAL Cabana Prices and Layout 2023/24 (updated)

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Crew News said:

Thanks for your error catch.  I have replaced the figure with the correct one.  

HAL Cabana Prices and Layout 2023/24 (updated)

It's my pleasure to assist you. I have used the information you provide on your website many, many times, so this is a small way of syaing thanks. Also, I love the Retreat Cabanas and get them every chance I can. We had one a few weeks ago on Rotterdam, so I am very familiar with the numbering layout.

• Like 1

On 12/14/2023 at 10:52 AM, sambamama said:

I just called to book one for a  sea day on the Westerdam.  I waited 15 minutes to find out they won't sell day packages in advance.  I have to wait until I board the cruise. I am not sure if I will book at $105, though.  It seems a bit unfair to charge the same price for one person.  I don't think that the price should drop to half, but $70 seems fair.  But in a world where cabins now always get sold at 200%, I am positive cabanas will be sold at the same price.

Maybe you could find someone on

your rollcall who would want to share the cabana with you. 

On 12/13/2023 at 1:56 PM, Tradestock said:

We are heading out on the Oosterdam in 2 weeks.  We too get Aft cabins but our friends get interior cabins and then rent the cabana for the whole cruise.  That's worked fine until now.. 3 weeks before the cruise leaves and she was just notified that a storm had damaged the cabanas and they are no longer available for the entire length of the cruise.  So a cautionary tale that you may suddenly and without warning find yourself without the outdoor space you were relying on. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...